do you get a UV filter for protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

mygixs

Mar 10, 2009
hello all, this is a question i have been asking myself, should i get a UV filter for my lenses to protect? was hearing some podcast, they suggest not to have a UV filter because it caused Some degradation in picture quality. just want some opinions on this, would a lens hood also work??

Up to you, really. A lens hood won't protect from saltwater spray or greasy fingerprints. But for me personally, I usually just use the lens hood for most of my lenses, or Carl Zeiss / B+W UV filters for the other lenses.

hello all, this is a question i have been asking myself, should i get a UV filter for my lenses to protect? was hearing some podcast, they suggest not to have a UV filter because it caused Some degradation in picture quality. just want some opinions on this, would a lens hood also work??

I've been using UV filters for all my lenses (except for my 12-24 now) for years since i started digital photography and i've no probs with image quality, being degraded by UV filters as it's only very minimal.

High End filter won't degrade the IQ much (if at all)...

No it won't any degradation is almost negligible. I'm even using B+W on my cheap Sigma 70-300! :bsmilie:

Yup... me also switching from Cheapo filter to B+W or Hoya.... but slowly lah.... $$$$ you know :sweat:

Yup... me also switching from Cheapo filter to B+W or Hoya.... but slowly lah.... $$$$ you know :sweat:

Mine's from Hoya Pro 1 digital MC protector on my 70-300 to B+W F-Pro MRC UV-Haze. Then my 50mm is from B+W F-Pro MRC UV-Haze to the XS-Pro one.

Busted quite a big hole on just these 2 filters. :cry:

I recommend skylight filters instead.....UV filters are good in the bright day but another thing when in the dark.

Better get a UV lens + hood. Air quality in Spore is lousy. Yr lens will be filled with oil and dust and will degrade the lens in no time. Degradation of quality not so obvious at first glance: It'll come in many forms like light fall off, ghosting, flares, etc.

If u're worried, get a multicoated UV to remove the unnecessary reflections off yr photos.

I am not using filters for my macro and 50mm lenses because the front element are recessed and the chances of scratches are minimal.

I use filter for other lenses.

Better get a UV lens + hood. Air quality in Spore is lousy. Yr lens will be filled with oil and dust and will degrade the lens in no time. Degradation of quality not so obvious at first glance: It'll come in many forms like light fall off, ghosting, flares, etc.

If u're worried, get a multicoated UV to remove the unnecessary reflections off yr photos.

Omg.. which mean in singapore cannot buy those Big mama lens. Not possible to fit filter infront of the lens. Tsk tsk...

Better get a UV lens + hood. Air quality in Spore is lousy. Yr lens will be filled with oil and dust and will degrade the lens in no time.

Where are your findings from? this is very misleading :bigeyes:

you stay in Jurong island?

LOL

And you really think a UV filter, or a hood, will protect your lens from sucking in dust *from the sides that are not even covered by the front element*???

Light fall off = vignetting = NOTHING to do with air quality in SG, but a UV filter may increase it instead of help.

Ghosting/flares: Aside from being an integral part of lens design, they are also caused by cheap UV filters. Without the filter is still best.

Do you work for Worldwide cameras or something? Your posts are very misleading. :nono:

Thanks all for the advice, it does seems the UV filter is good but than a good quality one is advisable, damn those could cause a bomb.. hahaha.. need to save up again :D

i used either hoyo pro1D or HD ...
since i started photography, i was told to use 1 for protection...

although I realise the importance of having a filter fix on your lens, I did realise that by shooting with my Kenko UV filter on my canon 18-200 will make my photos softer. So one day, I just decide to shoot without it and I find my pics a little bit better (my feelings lah).

So now, I will fix it when not in use or in the bag and take it out when doing shooting.!

although I realise the importance of having a filter fix on your lens, I did realise that by shooting with my Kenko UV filter on my canon 18-200 will make my photos softer. So one day, I just decide to shoot without it and I find my pics a little bit better (my feelings lah).

So now, I will fix it when not in use or in the bag and take it out when doing shooting.!

How about getting a High Grade B+W or Hoya filter..... Yup, they are $$$$, but most ppl here would said its worth the price. :sweat:

sorry what is B+W???

Status
Not open for further replies.