How often do you fire the flash?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

velasco

Jul 7, 2006
PARISris , Singapore
ukellyclarkson.com
I just wanna know if you guys actually fire the flash very often, or prefer the use of natural light?

For me, 85% of my photographs aren't assisted with flash, either internal or external ones.
Am i losing out? I just dislike the effect of using flash, but having said that it might afterall be my stupidity in the technicalities of it all to make me realize the wonders it conceal?

So, what about you? Do you use flash often? Does it help in any way - besides instances where using flash is inevitable of course.

For me, only during low lighting condition or in the night when im needed to take shots then i use flash.Increased the power to +1 as it's a popup's.

Tripod?Nah, i rather not have that burden with me.

When I was only using film, I rarely used flash. Since I'm using digital technology now, I use flash much more often but I always use an external flash. The kind that's part of the camera body is usually more trouble than it's worth.

i will fire in any condition(without breaking laws and getting myself in trouble) if i feel that the flash will help in my photographs, etc fill flash in the afternoon, to freeze action in low light, night portraits, backlighting. But having flash doesnt mean i will abandon my tripod, they are different matters!

I always feel flash photography is one important field to study on ;)

I would say yes, off-cam lighting makes a world of a difference.. but also depends on what you are shooting..

Yes!

For a better skin tones, freezes the action and so much more.

I'm very concern about skin tones. With proper use of flash, the picture is gonna be really good actually.

Photography is all about controlling the lights. Flash is a more controllable light source than the sun, so why be afraid?

I used to shun flash photography too, however, because I was ignorant about how to use flash to achieve flattering results.

Now, I tend to rely on available light quite a lot too, but whenever needed, I do not hesitate to use flash because I know I can achieve good results with it too.

Sometimes, you need the flash.... even in broad daylight as shown in my Mizuno Wave run shots...

The runners were in the shade and shutter speed was poor. So using fill-in flash would help a lot in this case... ;)

For me, only during low lighting condition or in the night when im needed to take shots then i use flash.Increased the power to +1 as it's a popup's.

Tripod?Nah, i rather not have that burden with me.

If you're referring to FEC, it has nothng to do with the power of the flash, but how the camera exposes the shot using the flash. Using FEC will not cause the flash to put out more power than it is physically capable of. If you need +1 FEC with a pop up flash, you'll likely need one even when using a hot shoe flash.

Canon's algorithm seems to be pretty protective of the highlights, and any bright object reflecting light back to the camera easily fools the exposure.

As for tripod, it is another tool just like the flash. Each has its place and neither is a replacement for the other.

When I was only using film, I rarely used flash. Since I'm using digital technology now, I use flash much more often but I always use an external flash. The kind that's part of the camera body is usually more trouble than it's worth.

i happened to be reversed of bousozoku,
during film days', which i normally shoot indoor.
its hard to shoot without flash due to the different colour temp of indoor lights,
so flash is the only constant.
now a days,
very high iso compared to films,
so rarely flash,
usually just fill-in.

If a subject is too dark too snap and causes a camera shake, a flash would be great. ;)

i like using the flash as a fill in daytime but sometimes feel it gets a bit too cumbersome (and scary) when carrying it around.

i think i will use it more as a fill light when i travel.

i used to shoot without flash
but now, i fire it all the time when i shoot portraits
even more now that im using it off shoe
find that it makes the picture more dynamic
sometimes i shoot objects too and i fire the flash too even if there's ambient light
because with off shoe flash you can control where you want the light to come from;)

I'd prefer to shoot with natural light as much as possible and expose for the subject. However in cases where the lighting is extremely insufficient and flash photography is allowed, then I would use a flash out of necessity. If not i'd stay flashless, think the flash makes the camera unwieldy.

i rarely use popup flash..too harsh...use external flash bounced or diffused mostly for potraits.

i rarely use popup flash..too harsh...use external flash bounced or diffused mostly for potraits.

You know it's actually possible to get very usable and natural results from the pop-up flash? Learning how to use it as a fill, rather than a key light is the whole idea.

You know it's actually possible to get very usable and natural results from the pop-up flash? Learning how to use it as a fill, rather than a key light is the whole idea.

Yeah, he's right. I used to cut up some white business cards and mount them to the flash for 'bounced' flash indoors, and I also used to tape tissue paper to the flash for diffusion. Wasn't excellent, but it was better than direct flash. Now that I've got an external flash, I've almost never ever shot indoors without flash before, other than for concerts with fast primes.

how? with a piece of tissue? or adjusting the flash compensation?

enlighten please.

Status
Not open for further replies.