Do you fire?

How often do you fire the flash?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, he's right. I used to cut up some white business cards and mount them to the flash for 'bounced' flash indoors, and I also used to tape tissue paper to the flash for diffusion. Wasn't excellent, but it was better than direct flash. Now that I've got an external flash, I've almost never ever shot indoors without flash before, other than for concerts with fast primes.

ha. just as i posed, i got the answer.

anyway, that's what i do too. just that i use parking coupons.

nothing can beat an off camera flash lah. the pop-up flash should only be used in desperate situations. haha.

ha. just as i posed, i got the answer.

anyway, that's what i do too. just that i use parking coupons.

nothing can beat an off camera flash lah. the pop-up flash should only be used in desperate situations. haha.

I think you're referring to external flashes, not off camera flash ;)

off camera flash is like those studios. Check out www.strobist.com for off-camera flash.

yes!... when natural light cant do the job.

I try to avoid using flash if I can. But I won't force it either. Picture with flash is better than a blurry picture.

Yes as I take lots of indoor event shots but even outdoor you would sometimes need flash to fill dark areas.:)

I much prefer natural light, so no flash..

i think 50% of the pics i shot were with flash. most of them with onboard flash, fill-in.
wandering around with the external flash at all time is awkward for my working environment:p

My flash usage so far is once every few months.... :bsmilie:

Don't need it actually, unless I shoot portraits or grp photos..

I fire fill in flash whenever needed

Hey jus wondering, does a pop up flash with diffuser make pictures look better?

Hey jus wondering, does a pop up flash with diffuser make pictures look better?

The popup flash is still very near the axis of the lens, so it generally still produces rather harsh, head-on results. Having a diffuser on a pop-up flash only marginally improves this occurrence.

The popup flash is still very near the axis of the lens, so it generally still produces rather harsh, head-on results. Having a diffuser on a pop-up flash only marginally improves this occurrence.

agreed, what caleb mentioned earlier using flash as a fill is more important because many a times an overpowered flash killing the ambient simply makes the picture all too awful and unnatural, a fill is subtle and sufficient.

the use of bounce flash is very powerful in creating softer light albeit at the expense of higher power but if u have enough battery to spare then go for bounce flash. pop up flashes have diffusers but i think you can improvise using small white cardboard that works perhaps like a periscope, a double bounce (back then forth) but u'll waste more power.

an external flash will be better because of the rotating head to bounce in all directions.

a sample shot i took at night where i almost couldnt focus by bouncing on a big wall just right behind me (flash was elevated though)
3458836254_039285f449.jpg

here's the setting for reference
Exposure: 0.008 sec (1/125)
Aperture: f/2.5
Focal Length: 85 mm
ISO Speed: 400
Exposure Bias: 0 EV
Flash: On, Return not detected

I avoid using flash indoors. Funny thing is, I mostly use my flash outdoors, when the sun is at the back of my subject.

Here I use it in typical indoor situations where there will probably not be enough light to take a normal hand-held well-exposed photo.

Oh..who was the one who came up with this?

"Is the only good light available light?" came the question.

"Yes"

"By that i mean any &*%%@^#! light that's available"

Quoted from W. Eugene Smith in "The Moment It Clicks"- Joe Mcnally

Status
Not open for further replies.