Do you find Singapore a competitive place to live?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Too competitive liao. :angry:

Whoever go for tea break will be marked as idle.

Cannot relax, must work work work

Go back home on time will be marked as not competitive.

Cannot relax, must work work work

sounds like my current jap company...:bsmilie:

i feel is actually the same format as NS, shape up or ship out...

Competitive to? I find it quite a good place to live. Safety, good transport, easy access to entertainment, good food, clean air, nice facilities; sure it ain't perfect, and I wish there were more accessible arts and entertainment, but there are much worse places.

The competition starts from Primary 1!!!

Remember the need to get 100/100 everytime? When getting an A was a disgrace because your neighbour/sister/brother/cousin got an A*?

Remember the PSLE being so difficult that even the Members of Parliament who were quizzed couldn't solve the maths problems?

Just look at our young kids dragging their school books. Some of them even have to bring an aeroplane hand luggage bag with wheels just to cart them to school.

As an aside, this is good training for future photographers who have to carry 10 kilos of photographic equipment on their backs. :bsmilie:

Actually Singapore is so so only.

There are lots of business opportunities but many of our business people are just too lazy, kiasu, and kiasi to follow up.

We are better than a lot of the developed countries but we still lack behind to many others - like in China, HK, Taiwan, etc.

Reminded me of a little poem we used in NS.... :bsmilie:

"I work hard, no one care.... I sit down, everybody stare"

Yes.... S'pore is very competitive.... But if you want a better life for yourself or your family... not to mention an upgrade to a FF camera before its time to take your CPF.... then you have very little choices. :sweat:

Way too competitive! Sure it do wonders for our pockets but neglected our well-being.

Must balance a bit, may more to the welfare side. Less of a nanny state, but more to the welfare :)

Way too competitive! Sure it do wonders for our pockets but neglected our well-being.

Must balance a bit, may more to the welfare side. Less of a nanny state, but more to the welfare :)

Nice idea.... except -

1) inorder to have more welfare (which cost $$$$)..... we must be more competitive than everyone else.... BEST Workforce, BEST Port BEST Airport, BEST everything.....

2) If we are more competitive than everyone else.... won't we be more stress ??

3) Which we then demand lagi more Welfare.... and the cycle continue.... :sweat:

Competition in local context brings progression. Yes

But it also brings out many ugly sides of Singaporeans. All show colour and chut
pattern when they feel undermined. Not very healthy. Lots of pre-emptive actions.

One bar goes up, another bar somewhere goes down. Balance cant be seen yet.

competitive, yes, vaguely

you have a mix of people. some are too competitive, some compete at the right level, without getting too caught up in it.. and some just don't bother.

Do you find Singapore a competitive place to live in?

No. Singapore Not at all competitive.

Everything's very leisurely here... ...:angel:

Sorry. can't elaborate now. Got to rush off. My colleague's made two more widgets than me. I have to go work overtime to catch up with that now.
:eek:

If anybody wants to know about competition, please feel free to drop by SIN 09.

That way, you will know what competition is all about.

Namely, who has the longest lens, who has the highest ladder, who has got the most TK camera, who hs got front line position, who has the largest camera bag to house the equipment (whihc is stoopid because everyone is carrying a small bag), who is the joker who chiong in front of me to take so-and-so.

And last of all: WHO GOT THE MOST PICTURES OF SO-AND-SO.

This is competition at its best and worst.

Sometimes, we tend to work too hard, but not too smart.

i used to have a colleague who had time for morning break reading papers. he finished his job on time usually, at most giving in an hour of extra time to complete his work.

He had a fair boss who gave the same workload to everyone. many of his colleagues go home after 9pm daily. They were given marketing projects and many were tough nuts involving many hours in front of the screen, number crunching, planning and coordination.

Guess why this young chap finish on time, every-time and need not even come back on weekends?

He does not gossip at work. He does not go online chat, sms, etc etc like all of his "hardworking" colleagues would. In fact, he ate his own lunch and ignore the rest pretty much. He had been tagged as unsociable, gay, selfish, non team-playing. But his boss admitted to me that this guy is the most efficient employee he had ever hired. Even by adding loads onto his pile, he could still finished at 5pm, plug in his ipod and walked out the door confidently.

Its all about productivity honestly. The ones who stay behind sometimes wasted too much time with office chats and personal agendas that they end up going home at 11pm. They party and sleep at 5am in the morning, and there goes bad productivity when they come back to work with droopy eyes, telling the world how they enjoyed life and how tired they are to face another long day at work.

So, Singaporeans, if there is a culture involving long unproductive hours at work, maybe its time to do a quick check to see where Mr Minutes and Hours can be saved by shaping up time management.

Besides, you get a life outside and can enjoy your hobbies and true friends more.

Last edited:
Nope not competitive at all. Very leisurely in fact. We work 5 day weeks got time for gossip in the office and time to get some tea after lunch. Where got competitive?

The question is only meaningful if one has a viable alternative country to live in.

sounds like my current jap company...

Lol, yea, japanese companies are like tht one! So, muz "keng" abit lah... Usually i go for tea break, i bring along one thick thick file....

Everyone(even my boss) knows i go lim kopi.... Sometimes they join me oso, but all bring thick thick file oso(machiam go meeting like tht).... But my boss very democratic one... As long as i do all my work, no worries... wanna go home sleep oso can... The file however is to act for my director to see one;p

The competition starts from Primary 1!!!

Remember the need to get 100/100 everytime?

Very soon its gonna be different.... They going to abort exams for P1&2:angry:

Anyway, I think its kindda competitive here lah.... Might not be within your own company, but in the industry.... Amt of work does not really say much abt the competitiveness IMHO.... The quality of work which is expected of u could be a good measure of competitiveness..... I personally, dun do alot of work... But I strive to produce works of a certain quality... If i cannot even convince myself of the quality of a piece of work i had done, I will not hand it in.... But at the same time, I'm constrainted by deadlines.... So in the end, more than often I'm working under alot of stress...

But, in schools nowadays, especially tiertiary institutions, students are really facing very keen competition from both internally(among their peers) and externally(from other institutions)... Poor students.....

Last edited:
Lol, yea, japanese companies are like tht one! So, muz "keng" abit lah... Usually i go for tea break, i bring along one thick thick file....

Everyone(even my boss) knows i go lim kopi.... Sometimes they join me oso, but all bring thick thick file oso(machiam go meeting like tht).... But my boss very democratic one... As long as i do all my work, no worries... wanna go home sleep oso can... The file however is to act for my director to see one;p

hai, i always bring my cleanroom notebook along with me to tea breaks in case got data to process asap.
sometimes some data requires an amount of time to plot, i ever kena a request at 4.30 (an hour before going home time), end up do till 7.30
best of all, my insensitive colleague still tease me about staying back for OT...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.