Do you find a wacom tablet useful?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keltzar

Jul 18, 2002
West
Visit site
hi guys/gals

I've had a wacom intuos-3 for about 2 years and it is largely unused because I can't get used to using a pen in photoshop. Does anyone share such experience?

How do you get used to using a pen? I know its about practice... but I just can't seem to get my motor skills around it ... :cry:

I'm thinking of selling it since I still prefer my mouse...

You answered your own question... it's always bout practice.. :)

Definitely, especially when working in Painter, Photoshop and Illustrator. I have been using a Wacom Intuos tablet since 1995.

For web-surfing, emailing, word processing and general applications, a mouse is more practical.

Currently I am using a 6x11 Wacom Intuos 3 and a Razer Diamondback mouse.

I have one and find it useless
maybe I don't know how ot use it well
the pen is fussy and messy to use

Not too useful for me. A mouse offers better control ( mainly because we are so used to it )

Initially I had some handling difficulties especially coordination, after a while it gets much better. But i would prefer a bigger tablet for easier usage ;)

Ryan

hi guys/gals

I've had a wacom intuos-3 for about 2 years and it is largely unused because I can't get used to using a pen in photoshop. Does anyone share such experience?

How do you get used to using a pen? I know its about practice... but I just can't seem to get my motor skills around it ... :cry:

Comforting to know i'm not alone. Bought one years back, tried, cannot get used to it, now stuck in its original packaging collecting dust.

I had a 4x5 graphire but didn't like it much but since I moved up to a 9x12 ituos2 - oh man! That's what a tablet supposed to be like.

I have a Bamboo Fun A5 size.

It's quite useful for tracing outlines and stuff.

The software it came with does not hurt either (Elements 5.0) esp the magnetic lasso.

after using a tablet for so long i cannot imagine editing w/o one...using a mouse just feels funny!

I bought a Graphire2 ages ago, after playing around with it a bit, it just sat in the box. My sister (graphics professional) swears by her Intuos though. I felt the limitation is more on me than the hardware - with practice, it can be much more precise than the mouse, but I'm only using it for a hobby and don't use it enough to be familiar with it.

Recently I took it out again, and my daughters are having great fun with it running ArtRage.

anything from $150 to $2k++ for the really hardcore ones... i find the graphire more or less good enough to suit my needs when touching up photos or doing paintings... :D

hi guys/gals

u find drawing curves better with a mouse? Hmm....

If you are using a wacom to surf the net then you are using the wrong tool for the job, but if you are doing serious (repeat serious) digital imaging (photoshopping) then it's almost essential.

I've had my wacom for >5yrs now, and I use it very very often.

hi guys/gals

I don't use a wacom (but a different brand) or photoshop (but different software). For retouching, a pen seems much more natural to me - much better hand-eye coordination when e.g. spotting an image. The killer feature for me is probably the pressure sensitive tip of the pen. By varying the pressure between or during strokes, retouched areas blend in very smoothly (i.e. they aren't noticeable).

For tasks where it is only important to hit a certain coordinate precisely (rather than move the cursor along a controlled path), a mouse is probably better.

I use a wacom too :) cannot remember the model i do alot of design stuff instead of photo edits so it's super useful and also it's more comfortable than my mouse

if you do a lot of dodging /burning like me, a Wacom is really a godsend because I use like 5-8% brush and shade the area to d/b. Can't imagine using a mouse, my wrist would go haywire man :D

ever tried using a tablet to play dota and cs?
my games project group tried it once... rofl.. it was hilarious... jabbin away on the tablet like mad... ;P

... i can't get my hand to listen to me in photoshop using a pen... :(

... how? how to practice? it's like a righthander learning how to use chopsticks with left hand - infinitely frustrating.

I find myself a little clumsy for the first week of using it.

Through some getting use to, I think Wacom is an essential tool if you are working with graphic editing software a lot.

Mouse makes my arm hurt... Using Wacom is next best thing. I have both A4 and A5 version of Intuos3.

On average, I spend around 4-5 hrs a day doing retouching on Photoshop with Wacom, I could achieve more than mouse.

Probably need to preservere for a while... give it a go again.

Regards,

Hart

Status
Not open for further replies.