Do you feel you are being judge with the Camera you use?

FEEL judge if you are pay for the job. Get decent equipments if you are paid to take photo.

For own pleasure why be bother how they judge you with your gears. You happy...your 'subjects'...why bother.

Looking at your photos, all are the same size (4R)...cannot tell which is taken by which camera. If your 'subjects' really bother to figure out may waste your effort in shoot the photo.

For some using 1Ds or 5DII, the photos may not do justice to the camera.

I like what Americans do.

Don't talk so much. SHOW US THE PICTURE!

Indian - The India Press busy scouting Peninsula Plaza and buying all the D2's, D200s to replace their D1s, D100s at the moment. Some Struggling to buy film to shoot.
Vietnamese - still shooting film and takes an average of them half a year to pay off a D200. Spends most of their weekends in Darkroom and trying to keep their editing software up to date.
China Chinese - Earn about 4 times less, work 10 times harder to get recognition from all the competition in China
Malaysian - Earn half our pay, shoot twice our standard. Taking over Photo assistant jobs (not to mention the Myanmar and Thais are doing that as well)
American - Earn 1.4x our pay, wait 1.4x longer to get their gear (courier takes time).. so they use this time to shoot and make loads of videos on youtubes marketing their talent

Singaporeans...... you fill in the blank. :-}

Cheers!

How about Pinoys?

Buy a camera, keep in the dry cabinet
Then go drinking/singing session with fellow photographers :bsmilie:

The gear you have will probably make an impression on potential clients who may not have seen your portfolio or are ignorant of photography. Your equipment is the most visible aspect that such 'ignorant' clientele will enquire about. It's probably the only thing they know how to assess too - the more expensive the gear, the more perceived quality they associate with the photographer. It's a simple and fast method for the clueless.

On the leisurely side, it shouldn't matter. The important thing is to enjoy what you do, and do what you enjoy. Everyone's entitled to their opinion, and if the guy beside you holding a 1Ds scoffs at your 1000D, so be it. Just don't let them bully you and you'll be fine.

If anything is to be judged, it should be your final product, not your tools.

Canon? Nikon? Can anyone here even imagine the looks, questions and ridicules i have received from other photographers when I told them I shoot with a 4/3rd? In fact, I shoot with my entry level E-420 and E-520 most of the time. The only time I shoot using my E-3 is when I have events and bridal shoots. Only people with low self esteem and a huge amount of insatiable ego will care so much about what people say about their gears. I have a friend who owns a D3 and he shoots worst than someone with a camera phone. So be smart, equipments are something but not everything.

Last edited:
tbh I tend to wonder what sort of photography some folks engage in when they're carrying massive zoom lenses along orchard road on the weekends... are they taking pictures of girls on the sly or just having an ego trip? :)

No need for pesant talk...

As much as there are so many comments in this thread advising not to bother or worry about what others think of you if you carry a 'lesser' camera, please accord the same attitude and respect towards others who carry 'larger' or 'better' equiptment than you... mutual respect cuts both ways.

Last edited:
it's not the big lens, small lens that matters.

one of the best series of street shots i have seen was a night shot done with a 500mm lens, exhibited in the tate modern. there was something cool about the lighting, the blank looks and zombie-like demeanour of the people being captured. no, they were not single subjects, and somehow every photo had some merit to it, instead of just pretty people or unique-looking people being asked to pose. i imagine the capture would have been rather problematic as well.

we should judge people by what they shoot and the actions and behaviour which govern their lives. not by what they use. as i mentioned earlier, the camera is a tool - it's just whether you use it to capture things you're really interested in, or use it as an excuse to capture things that you should not be interested in but are, or use it as a means to an end - to try to use some silly photographer tag to get girls to sleep with you (which has been done before).

I could understand clients or anyone for that matters who are not familiar with photography to ask the question to assess ones capability. Its is those that those who I met or being introduced to who claim to be a photographer that really irks me when all they are interested is what gear one carries. When attemp to start a conversation on techniques or other matters with regards to photography, they would change topic or cut off the discussion altogether.:dunno:

I think this does not only applies to cameras/lenses but in general the perception Singaporeans have.

People nowadays look at the exterior than what a person has in him/her.

Driving a expensive sports car does not mean a person is rich, probably a person taking bus is richer than him.

Have a MBA/PHD does not mean a person is the smartest or have ability to be high ranking officers at work place, as many bosses of SMEs that earn millions have only O-level qualification.

I have know a lot of people staying in old 3/4rm HDB and yet they are millionaires in disguise.

So it really voice down to what many brothers have commented here, the person who asked such ignorant questions or have such ignorant perception are the ones who have inferiority in their life and the only way to handle them is to IGNORE their stupid questions and give them a friendly but politically right answers by showing your good shots.

I am not a photographer and I don't intend to be one....hmm..maybe just a "official photographer" in front of my kids and wife, other than that I just admired those who carry good gears and have tons of money to splash on expensive lenses and accessories. But when I come to see their work, I just kept quiet when they are all rubbish but I gave my wholeheartedly thumbs-up if their excellent work is done even with a PNS.

Last edited:
Sometimes, asking about the camera model can be just an innocent conversational filler.
It might be the person who was asked was a bit too sensitive and hung up on camera brands himself and thus interpret the question in the wrong manner.

I have always feel that, many a times, we are being judge by the camera we use rather than the how much are into photography or how well we are able to bring across the what we want to express with our pictures.

I have encounter on so many occasions, that once the topic of photography were brought up , the next question would be .... What camera you use ah? Then, the reply will often be " wah you use a expensive camera woh" or ,"wah lao! still on such a old camera ah"

Do share your thoughts on this. Would really like to hear how fellow CSers feel of this.

The better camera I use, the better the photos people expect photos from me. Sort of like "eee yeeerr, see that guy use pro camera, how come pictures come out still so lousy.. kns one...."

Yes. I feel I am judged. But, I don't give a damn. ;) In the end the hobby/art is something I need to challenge myself to improve. It ain't a popularity contest (to me, at least).

I think this does not only applies to cameras/lenses but in general the perception Singaporeans have.

People nowadays look at the exterior than what a person has in him/her.

Driving a expensive sports car does not mean a person is rich, probably a person taking bus is richer than him.

Have a MBA/PHD does not mean a person is the smartest or have ability to be high ranking officers at work place, as many bosses of SMEs that earn millions have only O-level qualification.

I have know a lot of people staying in old 3/4rm HDB and yet they are millionaires in disguise.

So it really voice down to what many brothers have commented here, the person who asked such ignorant questions or have such ignorant perception are the ones who have inferiority in their life and the only way to handle them is to IGNORE their stupid questions and give them a friendly but politically right answers by showing your good shots.

I am not a photographer and I don't intend to be one....hmm..maybe just a "official photographer" in front of my kids and wife, other than that I just admired those who carry good gears and have tons of money to splash on expensive lenses and accessories. But when I come to see their work, I just kept quiet when they are all rubbish but I gave my wholeheartedly thumbs-up if their excellent work is done even with a PNS.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Ya... in many situations, Good to look at does not mean it is good to eat.

I could understand clients or anyone for that matters who are not familiar with photography to ask the question to assess ones capability. Its is those that those who I met or being introduced to who claim to be a photographer that really irks me when all they are interested is what gear one carries. When attemp to start a conversation on techniques or other matters with regards to photography, they would change topic or cut off the discussion altogether.:dunno:

It's common, that's why I prefer to shoot alone.:bsmilie:

Sometimes, asking about the camera model can be just an innocent conversational filler.
It might be the person who was asked was a bit too sensitive and hung up on camera brands himself and thus interpret the question in the wrong manner.

Yes, I do agree with this.

In general, when people see someone's photos, the first question that they wanted to ask is "hey, wat camera you use ah?"

As deep in their mind, they are expecting the answer to be "canon or nikon lor" so as to justify if the pictures are damn good looking. But they will give a reply "huh? Sony/Panasonic/Olympus? Really?" if they are surprised why these brands can take such nice photos.

But if the photos are lousy, then it's vice versa...

How about Pinoys?

Buy a camera, keep in the dry cabinet
Then go drinking/singing session with fellow photographers :bsmilie:

Dont translate your personal habits to blanket all pinoys ha ha ha

You guys shoot hot models first , THEN go drinking and singing session with fellow photographers

Love shooting in the Philippines, you guys party hard after a full day's shooting. :thumbsup:

It may be a conversation starter... The general population may not be familiar with photography, but they know their cameras!

Recall a case I was snub by a wedding photographer at a distant relative wedding. All I did was trying to get a stage pic using my then 40D+85mm... Hahaha

But he really waste the potential of the equipment. His 1D and L take pictures that are barely up on par with our weekend XMM shooter w/ an entry level.

At the end of the day, yes, highend camera and equipment provide you with the potential to achieving something great. But can the photographer fully utilize it? That's another issue altogether

Dont translate your personal habits to blanket all pinoys ha ha ha

You guys shoot hot models first , THEN go drinking and singing session with fellow photographers

Love shooting in the Philippines, you guys party hard after a full day's shooting. :thumbsup:

Of course not all Pinoys :bsmilie:
Got this feedback from a small Pinoy group living in Sg.

I'm glad you enjoyed shooting with Pinoys.

It may be a conversation starter... The general population may not be familiar with photography, but they know their cameras!

Would also just like to contribute a little bit here.
My humble opinion.
Yes, I tend to look at it from the positive side.
Often I believe it is just a conversational topic, them asking what system, what equipment one uses.

Unless, it is obvious that the other party is out to snub oneself or to show off...
... then we can safely just smile and talk about something else.

Of course not all Pinoys :bsmilie:
Got this feedback from a small Pinoy group living in Sg.

I'm glad you enjoyed shooting with Pinoys.

I enjoy shooting with one particular Pinoy...
... but he is hard to get appointment to shoot with...

Recall a case I was snub by a wedding photographer at a distant relative wedding. All I did was trying to get a stage pic using my then 40D+85mm... Hahaha

But he really waste the potential of the equipment. His 1D and L take pictures that are barely up on par with our weekend XMM shooter w/ an entry level.

At the end of the day, yes, highend camera and equipment provide you with the potential to achieving something great. But can the photographer fully utilize it? That's another issue altogether

lol i seen this before from my frz wedding..end of the day is the picture do the talking.