Do you feel irritated by askers?

Do u feel irritated by people asking u to take their photo bec they see your gear?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anti-Social

Jan 1, 2007
Have you been asked by tourist or other people to help them take their picture before because they saw your gear? :bsmilie: Ive experienced this tonnes of times, the record was 5 people in a row, all visitors when I was taking the merlion. The first few is okay, but after awhile i start to get really irritated.

Another irritating thing is when the photo you take doesn't meet their requirements and they have that kinda look when they see the photo :sweat:.

What are your views?

Friend of mine was relating this story to me once... she went to the zoo to get some stone textures for her design work, and this man came up to her and asked if she could take his family photo. She consented... and then they walked off without giving her their email address to get the photo from her :p

I always hide my gear in my bag. So they don't usually see. Anyway, I've always felt it was a pleasure to help people take their photos. So I'm the one who will usually volunteer to help them. But sometimes shy lah. Sometimes, I'm afraid that I take not up to standard. Or if take at different angle and style, they will not like it. So I just take normally like what most people do. No fanciful things.

Yea! :bsmilie: the thing were most afraid of is that the photo not up to standard! Then they have bad impression :sweat: e.g this couple asked me to take them sitting below this extremely tall chrismas tree, with their camera it was physically impossible to include the entire tree and have them not look so small in the picture, so i was very fustrated by the lack of wide angle on the thing. :( They didn't look too happy either. :rolleyes:

Any1 beat the record of 5 people in a row? :bsmilie: :sweat:

i'm not irritated

as far as i'm concerned they didn't appoach you because you seemed to have good equipment, just that you might be more willing to help them take because you are there to take pictures anyways

why bother? i'm sure there'll be a day when you have to ask someone else to take photos. put yourself in their position. be nice.

Actually I've experience the other way round... I have my camera on a tripod, this guy come and offer to take for me... after several shots return the camera to me and ask me to comment on the angles... all CMI... cannot say not good, cannot compose the photo at the same spot myself... haiz...

One persone is fine ;) but when this guy see two other guys ask and the fourth guy sees the third guy ask......... :sweat: I ended up wasting 10mins, then I quickly pack up and Zhao!

Depends on situation.
It's a good way to get some nice pics of XMMs.. :D Remember to use your own camera...

Depends on situation.
It's a good way to get some nice pics of XMMs.. :D Remember to use your own camera...

omg upz for pro :thumbsup:

I like to help people.

Sometimes I might even offer to help them to take pics. In fact, I feel happy when people ask me to help snap pics for them, ask for directions, etc.

Just don't ask me for money, can liao. :)

imagine u need help to take a grp pic...i wld look for someone w a DSLR over someone w P&S.... jusy statistics i guess... no garantee that DSLR will have better skill.

what disses me is that i'll usually compose a pic first..take a snap w say my gf in the pix..and tell the photog to shoot exactly the same..but 9/10 they turn out otherwise!! some would go play w the zoom..step back/forward/left/right...etc.

and no..i'm not irritated if i'm asked. esp in sg...it shows that we're helpful..and esp if the shot is well taken (in your own opinion) thats good enough. if their came is not able to go slow shutter with fill flash..i'll let them know that the function is difficult to execute what effect they want etc.

The ting that bugs me most is the damned focus! :sweat: Points at everything except for their faces, then again youre being rushed by them cause their standered of shooting is just simply point and shoot immediately so they don't expect u to take time to compose first... :think: It just goes against my instincts of having control over everything (in my head im thinking f/2.8 but I can't change it and the shutter is too slow! Is that flash on or not?) :bsmilie: any1 feel that way?

Was once being approached to help take photo for a family with an outdoor night scene. After using their pns and a few shots to my own disappointment....I told them "give me your any of your email and I use my cam to shoot for you."

what usually cheese me off is when i doing portraits n ppl ask me to take picture of them with my camera. can't they see i am busy? wtf.

I like it, gives me a chance to talk to strangers ;)
I remember even when I don't have my gear, they'd ask me :D or do I just look like someone who gears?

Actually, you can counter that tall tree issue to a limited extent by asking the subjects to stand nearer the camera and not at the tree. This is a common tactic in tour photography to have large subject and a large background object.

Yea! :bsmilie: the thing were most afraid of is that the photo not up to standard! Then they have bad impression :sweat: e.g this couple asked me to take them sitting below this extremely tall chrismas tree, with their camera it was physically impossible to include the entire tree and have them not look so small in the picture, so i was very fustrated by the lack of wide angle on the thing. :( They didn't look too happy either. :rolleyes:

You can tell them a white lie, apologize to them that you are actually busy working for xyz taking picture of this blah blah as proof, if you do not want to be disturbed.
Then dont take too much time there, go as quickly as possible.

I will always try to help but the worst is point and shoot using film coz I cannot control and there is no preview.
I believe in karma and small good deeds done often can save you. I was just rewarded a couple of week ago when I unknowingly dropped my mobile phone and a young boy pick it up and chased me to return to me. And that is in Orchard!

The worst one I even encounter is someone (auntie lah) who want me to help to take picture with xmas tree, want to take a full tree but also complain why her face is so small, make her face big then she complain why tree not in focus, also not the full tree. So I just told her print both, and walk away. Some people expect too much even after you tried your best to help them. Can't be helped, these people has critical view on everything in life (and you are part of that) so let it pass, dont let it affect you too much. Let go and move on, you will be happier.

I do get a few request from time to time.... but I feel like implementing my own rule. Like I only take with my own camera and e-mail them the pics. Cuz I really don understand the metering used by the different P&S and HP cams. Composition very limited to those "safe and standard" shots.

But then again, really depends on situation, I once got request from a kind old couple who uses flim P&S, I gladly help.

Status
Not open for further replies.