Do you derived joy & satisfaction from cropping your pictures...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bgat

Mar 26, 2004
... so as to make them look good ???

I don't, what about you?

The purpose of cropping an image, whether in camera or after the shot is taken, is to make for a stronger image to convey your intent.

Not for joy or satisfication.

why would you want to crop when you crop it within the frame itself.

Unless of course you are creating a series which needs special cropping method. Photography is a form of art by itself. Agree with student, it's not for joy or satisfaction. In fact you should be satisfied from your own point of view and not others when you crop an image.

Again cropping your image COULD be for a series of photos.

I know post-processing is one but I just want to restrict this thread to CROPPING alone. When there are too many issues on hand in this thread, they tend to get out of hand/topic again...

Nope.. I hate cropping, my images are framed as they are seen in the viewfinder.

Maybe I'm still quite new, but if my framing goes a little 'out', I'll still crop it.

But den the biggest joy and satisfaction comes frm a perfectly framed photo with no cropping needed ;)

You cannot always be 100% right when shooting, so post-cropping helps to fix this. Don't see what's so wrong with it, but it's definitely not for deriving satisfaction/joy.

Regards
CK

Certainly not when you've over 300 shots to post-process - I don't derive any joy from there.

ckiang said:
You cannot always be 100% right when shooting, so post-cropping helps to fix this. Don't see what's so wrong with it, but it's definitely not for deriving satisfaction/joy.

Regards
CK

I agreed with CK that one cannot be always 100% right on shooting. I found there is no harm done if one were to crop slightly or no more then 20% of the original and must state that in the picture posted.

Otherwise, it would mislead viewers into thinking that was the way the picture was taken. I have seen pictures being cropped severely and appeared relatively fine on screen viewing. However, when they got it printed on 8R size, it can be thrown into the drain. This normally occured in nature shots using DSLR and when condition was not ideal during the time of shooting.

Cheers

Steven Tor

i guess theres some confusion here cos there are different types of photographers here in the thread....if you shoot landscapes, architecture, macro, protraiture etc and you find that you still need to crop constantly...then its time you found a new hobby. but if you are more into sports (where capturing the peak of the action is more important than perfect framing), reportage and social documentary, then i guess some cropping may be necessary when its more important to get the shot than no shot at all...

imaginary_number said:
Certainly not when you've over 300 shots to post-process - I don't derive any joy from there.
How abt the sadistic joy of not sleeping at 4am in the morning post-processing ur photos? :confused: :bsmilie:

Your viewfinder, unless you are using a pro body, is often not 100%. there is nothing wrong to crop off the additional 5% to 8% to readjust the image. That is just to restrict to a 3:2 crop.

Personally there is nothing wrong with cropping. the important thing is you are aware of what you are shooting or trying to achieve initially rather than try to salvage photos later. Medium format users have been known to crop their photos to achieve panoramics.

If you are uncomfortable with cropping... don crop.. it is your personal choice.

There is a lot to say for using the entire real estate in your sensor (CCD/CMOS/Film). The images are sharper (less enlargement) and tonality better.

But I have absolutely no problem with cropping when the result is a stronger image. Sometimes at the time of shooting, I think that what I wanted was just. But when I study the image, I find that there can be many unnecessary distractions, so I crop. A matter of the eye. Hopefully, with experience, the need to crop will be reduced.

jsbn said:
How abt the sadistic joy of not sleeping at 4am in the morning post-processing ur photos? :confused: :bsmilie:

haha.. experienced this b4.. i think hor... 300+ photos not enough.. i once had a assignment.. need me to post process all the photos... den.. they will choose...

guess what... i took 700 of them unknowningly.. and i post processed all.. and it took me 2days without sleep to finish them...

and i deleted some off la.. den change the series number... so it flows in sequence.. =p

hahaha.... shhhhhhhh SsssssssHhhHHhhh ~~ dun tell... keep quiet..

Hahaha.... U steady.

For me, I juz choose not to process certain pieces and juz say that they are OOF. Not worth my time so I dun even have to change the file number. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.