Do you delete or re-format your CF cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

whizzard

Mar 7, 2009
Bkt Timah
Just a general question to find out the general practice by CSers whether you individually delete your photos from your memory card or do you re-format your cards to delete the photos after uploading them to your PC?

I have been deleting my photos individually if I did not shoot too many and re-format my card when there are a lot of shots I want to delete.

Thanks for sharing.

same for me...i format after i transfer to my pc...in fact i format every time before i go shooting

format. much faster

Format after every backup in external HDD and website (only selected ones).

ehehehe, i cut and paste from my sd card, but you shouldn't do that.. :D

I do a cut and paste as well :) No problems to date.

Why shouldn't cut and paste? Care to share?

you might lose your shots, if something goes wrong during the process, i.e. card fail, computer fail, xxx fail

of course the chances are so low, but some people do not like to take the risk

It's both for me. Delete for about 3 times, then format once.

Would format the card before using for important events.

I generally delete ALL, once a while (maybe 2-3 times) I would reformat whole card.

there are 2 types of formatting for my camera

one is normal, the other is low level formatting
any comments for them?

Format every 2 to 3 days... or when I am up for a new project.

I keep raid drives, so I will only format my cards after I have downloaded the files into at least 2 different hard drives.

I'd download and leave the images on my card till the next shoot. Then I'll reformat all cards 1/2 hour just before the shoot.

When you cut and paste files, the old files wil only be deleted after the new files are written (it's more of a move rather than cut and paste actually) so there's acually no risk of losing files in between

Status
Not open for further replies.