Do you copy your pictures from mem card via camera or card reader?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyxx88

Nov 17, 2004
Just wondering what is your preferred way of getting your pictures out of the camera?
- Using the camera itself (via USB)?
- Take the card out & stick it in a card reader?

And what are the pros & cons of each? E.g. wear and tear of card contact points, cost of repair in case something is damaged, etc.

A very good question asked. Something I long wanted to ask.
For me, I just upload my pics thru my camera using usb cause I don't have a card reader. :sweat:

I normally just connect my camera directly to my computer and download.

using card reader. i have never connect my cameras to my PC before. dunno how to do that.

also, i sometimes need to read different CF cards... putting camera on my table take up spaces, putting reader on table won't take up much space.

lastly, i am very clumsy, thus, if put camera on table, guess i'll accidentally topple the camea and it will drop onto the floor :embrass:

I do both. If I have a lot to download, I would use the cardreader. But guess there is no right or wrong answer!

At home I download directly from a CF card to my computer.

On the road I download to a portable HD device.

I've heard that some people are concerned about the pins in the camera wearing out, or getting loose and breaking. I've been removing the card and downloading for several years and haven't had any problems yet... :sweat:

singapurasteve said:
I've heard that some people are concerned about the pins in the camera wearing out, or getting loose and breaking. I've been removing the card and downloading for several years and haven't had any problems yet... :sweat:

This is the exact reason why I am asking!! I am afraid that if the pins wear our/accidentally bent during the constant insertion & extraction, it would be very expensive to replace. But then again, a similar thing could happen to the USB interface too :(.

Looking at the response here, looks like I share some of the practices of other CSers too -- using card reader for heavier use & just using the camera for a small number of pictures.

However, when using USB via my D70, I notice it is pretty slow :(. I think it is USB 1.1, as it it much much faster when using my USB 2.0 card reader. And the card reader comes in handy too when I want to copy from my CF, SD & MS all at the same time (yes, I have cameras from 3 different companies, using 3 different types of storage *sigh*).

Guess everyone has their own preference. Thanx for your comments :).

I just did a transfer speed test.

Computer: P4 3.2 GHZ / USB 2.0
Card reader: I-APP 6-in-1 high speed card reader (S$12, available @ SLS)
Camera: Nikon D70
Memory type: Transcend 2GB 45x CF
No. of files: 12 raw files, approx. 5.3 Mbytes for each file.
Software Link: Nikon View on XP

1) Direct from D70, took 80 sec.
2) With card reader, took only 10 sec.

The difference in transfer times is significant if there is lot of files to be copied.

Note: the mechanical card guide of the above card reader allows very easy and smooth insertion of CF memory, surprisingly.

use card reader.

even though a camera might state usb2 fast transfer, it will still be slower than a usb2 card reader. especially useful when you have lots of large files.

I use a card reader also its faster but more important it does not stress the camera's electronic components :D
(so camera can last longer mah)
All electronic components got a lifespan, so why reduce it more by using your camera to write to the pc when a card reader costs only $20 or less. Moreover its faster to transfer by the card reader.

have been using card readers. there's no space for my camera near the computer and card readers are much faster.

Transfer from CF to portable harddisk on the road, then at home harddisk to computer...

Card reader is so much faster.
Plus I don't know about others, but I find it really hard to get the rubber thing stuck back in place on the side of the 20D. Card reader = No messing around with that :thumbsup:

transfer direct from body will eat into the battery life even if its for a bit only

and if the entire rig gets a short circuit, ur cam body may be affected

so..safest to use card reader

card reader for me....then use photoshop to do any corrections....never even installed the programmes that came with the cam..

Status
Not open for further replies.