do you carry macro lens to holiday?

tahart

May 8, 2013
Singapore
I have tamron 90mm 2.8 on nikon d750. Was thinking of carrying this one + nikon 16-35mm f4 lens.
do you guys carry macro lens when travel? how useful would that be?

thks

I dont even own a Macro lens myself.

Useful or not. People bring ornot. Honestly, I'm not sure how other people's reply can help you in any ways.

Ultimately. It depends on you.

Depends on what you going to shoot, your style, your trip and etc. If you know you will use it. Bring it. If you're unsure. You can choose to keep it at home or bring it - if not bringing it along is bothering you.

Many people will tell you. Gear are only useful if you use them. No matter how good they are. If you are'nt using it. They are as good as "useless"

cheers

when you go travel with your camera, is like you go to any places in your own country, if you don't use it often locally, unlikely you will use it while you are travelling.

So far never.
The 90mm is not exactly very compact
If you need a walk about prime or for low light, I suggest the 35mm f2 or 50mm 1.8 as affordable options

don't own a macro lens .... Don't think I do macro when traveling even if I have a macro lens.

If anyone has a cheap and good old manual focus old macro lens (which i can adapt to fuji x series) to recommend do kindly let me know ...

Depends on what kind of holiday right... If you like to shoot macro, and you're travelling to south america to shoot insects and plants... obviously you would bring it. Family holiday to a beach resort where I know I'm going to be spending most of my time either lazing on the beach or in the room, very unlikely.

To this kind of "Should I bring it?" question, my usual answer is that there's no other better way to find out than to just bring it along for one trip. If you don't bring it, you might be stuck there and wondering 'I wish I brought it'. I'd rather regret bringing it, cos you still have the option to leave it in the room.

After this trip, you will know the answer for yourself because nobody knows what you like to shoot or intend to do on your trip. You will know what to do for future trips.

for me, i compromise and bring close-up filters instead for that just in case moment.

when travel for hoilday i prefer not to change lens abit mafan

when you go travel with your camera, is like you go to any places in your own country, if you don't use it often locally, unlikely you will use it while you are travelling.

I think this is one of the best replies.

I have tamron 90mm 2.8 on nikon d750. Was thinking of carrying this one + nikon 16-35mm f4 lens.
do you guys carry macro lens when travel? how useful would that be?

thks

If I am going on holiday to take pictures of macro subjects, of course I will bring a macro lens. But when on holiday I like to keep weight as low as possible, so that means a travel zoom. For me travel zoom means either 12-40 or 14-150, since I use an EM-5. Switching between a tele and a zoom isnt what I would like to do on holiday. After all, we should enjoy the holiday, and not let the camera or number of lenses dictate the fun we should be having.

I carried my iphone and maybe my Canon G7X on outing. Unless I specifically planned that holiday trip to be a photography trip. Anyway, different people had different preference, so ultimately it is up to yourself.

I can understand why you are tempted to bring a macro lens overseas. I'm an advocate of macro lenses, believing every photographer should own one. Macro lenses provides a perspective unlike any other lenses, and could potentially give you unique holiday images that sets you apart from all the photos you see on Facebook.

However, I do not recommend that you bring a macro lens overseas. The only reason to bring them is if you are an insect, toy, or flower photographer. But if you are an insect, toy or flower photographer, there wont even be this question in the first place. So as a shoot everything hobbyist, you are better off bringing a standard telephoto zoom like the 55-200 than a macro lens. You will probably miss more holiday shots if u use a macro than a 55-200.

I have a nex 6 with sel30mm marco lenses on.
This is very all rounder. ok for close up, small group, street, etc.

I go blog food also good. using my phone to connect to nex 6 direct, i upload the photos straight via my phone.

Not the best choice for all situation but it is a reasonable choice for most situations.