Do you believe singapore ranked 5th most expensive in rental in the world?

fotoudavid

Mar 11, 2005
You believe?? Mean property.

Of course I do, I have a lot of friends who are foreign students and they are complaining that the rental here is ridiculous compared to some of their friends who are studying in other counties.

as land gets smaller, property price goes up... same goes for HK...

and HK hotels are mostly pretty small and cost a lot per night too for its size!

Yes absolutely. The rental for a 3+1 HDB flat in Punggol will get you a 4-bedroom house with attic, basement and large garden in Germany - and still have a lot left!!!

Always glad that I own my own HDB and need not rent… maybe rent out a room next time… :bsmilie:

Yes absolutely. The rental for a 3+1 HDB flat in Punggol will get you a 4-bedroom house with attic, basement and large garden in Germany - and still have a lot left!!!

Yeah… in Afghanistan I could buy a whole village… :bsmilie:

Size of country lah… or can I get the same deal in the German capital, Berlin itself… :bsmilie:

It is virtually impossible to have a decent meal for $2 nowadays unless one is working at places with internal/heavily subsidised food canteens.
It is $0.71 cents for the lowest bus fare since 2010, compared to $0.25 20 years ago. Thats 284% inflation rate in 20 years, average 14% every year.
It cost $160,000 to get an executive flat in 1990s, yet costing above $500,000 currently (depends on location).
It costs $20,000 to enrol kids in places like Etonhouse now when thats around the price of my BSc degree...

HOW CAN SINGAPORE NOT BE AN EXPENSIVE PLACE???

Everytime a statistic comes out, people will start bashing singapore or start comparing with other countries.

Since we are the 5th most expensive, why don't we compare ourselves with the
#1 most expensive. we compare ourselves with those cheaper than us. But we must take note of other factors. Our 3 room flats are more expensive than those huge houses in other countries. But usually big houses are in the suburbs and transport network is terrible, most of the time need to drive

We keep complaining to high costs in singapore. If you are a hawker, do you wish to charge $1.50 for your chicken rice or would you rather sell your chicken rice at $3?

If you rent out your room, would you want to collect $500 or $1000?

We want to make more money from others, but don't want to pay more for others' services/products.

No la...I dun believe that Singapore is ranked the 5th most expensive. how could that be?

WE SHOULD BE INSTEAD THE MOST EXPENSIVE I.E. NUMBER #1 MOST MOST MOST MOST EXPENSIVE IN THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD. ;(

After spending 2 years out of Singapore. I think that Singapore is cheap to live in. Rental is not that bad in Singapore actually. I actually cant believe that Singapore ranked 5th. Maybe as a country but definitely not as a city. Try renting an apt in New York?

After spending 2 years out of Singapore. I think that Singapore is cheap to live in. Rental is not that bad in Singapore actually. I actually cant believe that Singapore ranked 5th. Maybe as a country but definitely not as a city. Try renting an apt in New York?

Here's a possible reason why, take a look at the ST Online article:

http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_635127.html

Take a look now at the linked PDF file at the sidebar:

http://www.straitstimes.com/STI/STIMEDIA/pdf/20110215/ST_rental.pdf

Take a note of the line "expat accomodation" - I'm supposing that this does not include HDB rentals.

I believe this is true. Every year rental $$ increase, higher than my salary increase :confused:

last time i dont look up at people who own a 3 rooms flat, it was like poor people flat. Now? i have to take back that thought, 3 rooms flat is like 300k! ...no longer a poor people flat....

compare to many years back, 5rooms or 4 rooms flat is less than 100k....and those old flats are damn BIG. nowadays 4 rooms and 5 rooms are smaller...

cheaper flat = bigger, expansive flat = smaller.

Last edited:
I don't take these rankings too seriously. It depends on various factors and it depends on the different groups of people/factors being polled