Do you apply 1/3 rules when taking macro shot of flower?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sin77

Nov 28, 2004
Got somebody in my office told me why my flower appears so centre of the picture... not good enough.
But i think that's the way i like it to appear leh.
Any advice?
Thanks.

Side track: Roughly how much does a lens hood cost?

Don't always stick to the "rules"! Break em. Rules are meant do be broke.

What is 1/3? Heck it, go with feelings :D

It is a guide. If you dun want to go wrong... stick to it. If you are daring... heck it

Got somebody in my office told me why my flower appears so centre of the picture... not good enough.
Any advice?
Thanks.

Any pics to show....

Hi all,

Is this flower in this image mean 1/3 rules?

THE%20REFLECTION.jpg

1/3 rule or not. If the picture is nice, it is nice. Don't need to stick on it. :)

What is 1/3? Heck it, go with feelings :D
most of the time i nv apply the rule... then got some 'experts' commented.
i think the 1/3 is to bring out better effects... but i dun see it a must like many ppl preaches.
SO ... i dun like to show my photos to 'experts'

in some instances, using the rule of 3rds does work, and is very effective in composition, in some, it is not possible

yet in others, i prefer if the subject was not placed at the intersections of the rule of 3rds grid lines, cos i feel it looks better in another way

just compose as youd like it, but do try out the rule of 3rds cos sometimes placing ur subject off centre does look better;)

I think the rule of third is not so much a rule but rather a guide. There's no rule books or guides that say you must use it. 'Experts' often mention that the we have to use them. I myself do use them most of the time but not exclusively. Use whatever that 'works'.... not watever that was 'instructed'.

I don't see there is a need to apply 1/3 rule for macro shots although sometime it might works for some pics. Shooting macro from a different perspective and bringing up the details which cannot be seen with naked eyes look more interesting to me.

The 1/3 rule apply well for landscape. Those who know a bit of photography will know about the 1/3 rule. Maybe you received a critique from a expert wannabe :dunno:

I feel that when applying the rule of thirds, the overall balance and composition of the shot should also be taken into consideration. Imagine everything bunched up in one intersection of the grid! That would look so funny (unless, of course, it is done deliberately to achieve some effect). Anyway what is most important is that YOU like the shot.

As others above me have said, don't feel constrained by the rules. Be free to experiment, especially with digital.

Scroll down to Proportion - Golden Ratio and Rule of Thirds. I quote "Often a certain amount of imbalance or tension can make an image more effective. This is where we come to the artists' intuition and feelings about their subject. Each of us is unique and we should strive to preserve those feelings and impressions about our chosen subject that are different..... proportion is an element of design you should always be aware of but you must also realize that other design factors along with your own unique sensitivity about the subject dictates where you should place items in the viewfinder."

"However, keep in mind that no rule or guideline can ever guarantee success. A successful image depends upon a multitude of things that must come together including: timing, lighting, color, composition, and an audience sensitive to what it is you are trying to communicate. It is likely that many artists carry out design intuitively and arrange elements so they "feel right" and since art is in part a way of expressing our feelings to others no other guiding principle may be required. As Freeman Patterson put it so eloquently "Good composition is always harmonious with the design of the material being photographed", Art of Seeing 1985."

Further reading on Golden Ratio. Regardless on the reasons fellow Csers have cited the 1/3 rule, it's helpful to know and be open regarding design. Trust your instincts, but don't be blind.

aint no expert, but i find what some ppl say to be true, as i myself do that most of the time.. some ppl say that the subject in a landscape/scenery shot should be in the right corner lower 1/3 as the eyes scan from left to right , top to bottom... (thats how i view pictures, documents etc..).. so as the eyes scan the pic, they will end off at the bottm right corner.. hence, some would say that the subject should be placed there for emphasis.. think it works for top left corner as well ..

whereas, for macro shots and maybe some form of full body portrait shots (landscape layout), where you would want to isolate the subject from the background, putting the subject at any place other than central/slightly off central seems wierd to me.. the background would be blurred out for isolation, and will seem like wasted space (to me , at least)

my 2 cents..

So remember, sometimes negative space allows the picture to 'breathe' and give it more impact. ;)

Hi all,

Is this flower in this image mean 1/3 rules?

THE%20REFLECTION.jpg

not really. it is more like part of a flower and a line of balance roughly making a diagonal.

Any advice?
Thanks.

depends on the picture. maybe you should post it.

that rule of third is better applied on small subjects to provide sufficient circumferential space around it. a lot of large objects are shot spot on centre and will lose impact even if slightly tilted.

more importantly, vary your composition. life is more interesting that way.

most of the time i nv apply the rule... then got some 'experts' commented.
i think the 1/3 is to bring out better effects... but i dun see it a must like many ppl preaches.
SO ... i dun like to show my photos to 'experts'

if you don't show, people can't comment. and it's pretty hard to visualize what you meant when you said you nv apply the rule.

there are instances when people follow the rule but the pictures didn't turn out good and vice versa.

it's the composition and what you are trying to bring out from the picture itself.
most of the times, it's the photographer himself or herself who doesn't do justice to the pic. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.