Do y'alls still come across donation requests in the mrt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoossh

Nov 29, 2005
Singapore
This evening i'm taking a transit between NE line to EW line, sat down briefly on the bench on a second, a indian boy probably aged 15-20 dressed in normal outing t-shirt who was already sitting there, stop talking to a girl who is next to him (not in any school uniform nor similar t-shirt to suggest representation of an organization) and turned to me.

he said "Sir.." to catch my attention, and when i turned to him, he grinned and took out a black thick plastic slot with some donation themes printed on it, ain't sure of the details of what donation drive is that but i was skeptical abt it from his wearing and mannerism. i said, "sorry" and pause for a while, and then i said, "donation drives are not allowed in MRT stations, i hope you know." just at this moment, the train came and i stood up to take the train. and i heard him shouted in a very rude manner, "and so?!". i ignored him and boarded the train, but i did not see him board the same cabin.

deep down, i suspected it is not a genuine case of donation drive, which i supposed would have been brief to him in advance and next his behaviour makes me think otherwise of his involvement, and last of all, i wonder if donation drives nowadays allow participants to wear their own hippie clothings.

i never said so to him, becos there is no good evidence i'm sure of. but could i have been too direct and overly sensitive? have things changed nowadays?

times are hard. :sweat:
people do things to get by. :sweat:

i'm sorry.. but i hear that students during holidays are paid to go around with the donation bags to ask for money. I've witnessed two getting a scolding from a security personnel from an office/shopping centre and the poor fellow was getting verbally abused by the two students who spoke in another langague :(

I guess its time for the organisations to wake up.. can always appeal for items rather then money and I feel more ppl would respond. When it comes to money, its difficult to determine how much of that dollar I give goes to the ones in need and how much of it, goes towards administration.

ain't they told not to do so in certain locations? doing it in these places are certainly not allowed, even if they are in uniform.

besides the best way is to get those who are willing to do it the scout way, do housework in a group and see how much the family is willing to donate - any amount will do depends on the conscience - the scouts have given their part and it is all that it matters. and doing in groups will have one good thing, it is less likely that individuals will try to keep the money for themselves. there are times where some uniformed group secondary students were seen in pairs, trying to take money out of their tin cans with a tweezer.

and it is not too far ago that if students were advise on misbehaviours or things they should not do by adults on the streets, they would say sorry and walk away (ok, whether deep down they know it is wrong, it is another thing, but at least youths that time will not be confrontational).

nowadays a softer approach prefered by some of the public themselves lead to doubts and distrust towards the authority in many aspects, with relevance especially in the school and in the army, and we see defiant self-assuming youngsters growing up to be irresponsible adults. interesting enough, everything now gives way except for only a few things - held still in strong hands are the control of the media, the "internal security" and the elections.

well...

its best that we all do our part by snapping pictures of them selling donation flags, and the outfit and write an article.

pictures + article + signatures of protests.

i am sure with the huge response, somebody will do something.

i am ok with those students doing CIP. but i am NOT ok with people who come around asking me to buy those $2 tickets...

they say that they are from those charity organisations, but in fact, when you buy those tickets, they (company and people who are selling them) earn alot each day.

to me. they are scam bags. :thumbsd: btw, i did call the police once when someone forced me verbally to buy. i am sure a few other singaporeans did the same thing.

I have already stopped donating money years ago to those people who brought tincan to me simply because I have no way to find out how this money will be spent and where will it go. The amount is not audited and may be funded for terrorist acts. Who knows?

I have already stopped donating money years ago to those people who brought tincan to me simply because I have no way to find out how this money will be spent and where will it go. The amount is not audited and may be funded for terrorist acts. Who knows?

same for me..i rather donate directly to the org that i want

selling flags in train stations is not allowed unless the public pass their donations to you.
still remember my friends and I were travelling on the train to some location to sell flags. then a group of foreigners just stood up and drop us some donations.
we were just sitting down doing nothing...

well...

its best that we all do our part by snapping pictures of them selling donation flags, and the outfit and write an article.

pictures + article + signatures of protests.

i am sure with the huge response, somebody will do something.

i am ok with those students doing CIP. but i am NOT ok with people who come around asking me to buy those $2 tickets...

they say that they are from those charity organisations, but in fact, when you buy those tickets, they (company and people who are selling them) earn alot each day.

to me. they are scam bags. :thumbsd: btw, i did call the police once when someone forced me verbally to buy. i am sure a few other singaporeans did the same thing.

Thats a sweeping statement. What do you know about donation draw tickets? I sell them but I don't earn a single cent from it. Its ok to say no but you don't have to make such baseless accusation to the people who sell them.

Thats a sweeping statement. What do you know about donation draw tickets? I sell them but I don't earn a single cent from it. Its ok to say no but you don't have to make such baseless accusation to the people who sell them.

apparently most of them selling are. well... no offence and kudos to you if you are doing your part in helping the poor and needy.

but people take advantage of these loopholes. and many of times, some can earn as much as $100+ a day by selling these tickets.

I wont donate a cent too.

An ex colleague of mine was told me that he used to go around asking for donations as part of the school ECA. A few times he was hard up for $, guess what he did? :think: :bigeyes:

Ask for permit. When my school had "flag day" we were all issued with a permit.

apparently most of them selling are. well... no offence and kudos to you if you are doing your part in helping the poor and needy.

but people take advantage of these loopholes. and many of times, some can earn as much as $100+ a day by selling these tickets.

What proof do u have to say "apparently most of them selling are"? Have u done a count?
A few blacksheeps don't make every volunteer a fraudster. Likewise a few quack photographers doesn't make all photographers a sex maniac.

Status
Not open for further replies.