Do Wedding Photographer...

Dark Matter

Jul 22, 2008
Do wedding photographer do PP works at all before handing the DVD/photo to their clients?
Why I had ask is because I was surprised at the reply I got when I ask those bride and/or bridegroom whether their photo was PP'ed. All reply was NO (their AD photographer told them). One even say it wasn't even crop or straighten:eek:. :eek::think:

I had attened 4 wedding from dec09 till today and 2 more to come in Jan. I had been shooting and will be shooting for thess 6 wedding dinner. I do it for free as a learning session, to give myself a chance to pratice wedding photography. (Me not the main AD photographer)

Maybe I am still new and not skillfull enough OR wedding photographer dont want ppl to know they had PP'ed their work. At the very least I need to crop and straighten.:embrass:

So most wedding photographer don't do PP?:think:

PP is time consuming. Get it right from the camera and you can spend the time used to do PP for other useful thing or spend with your family :)

On average a photographer will deliver min of about 500-600 shots for a simple wedding, how much time will it take to do PP? I'm not saying totally no PP but min. like just 5% to 10% of total shots. Getting it right on camera is still the best way to work.

Do wedding photographer do PP works at all before handing the DVD/photo to their clients?
Why I had ask is because I was surprised at the reply I got when I ask those bride and/or bridegroom whether their photo was PP'ed. All reply was NO (their AD photographer told them). One even say it wasn't even crop or straighten:eek:. :eek::think:

erm, i don't know about this

but i know most of the bridal studios offering packages tend to shoot quite a few (for pre-wed, at least).. and then they let the couple select a certain number (20-25, i think) which they will then proceed to process and compile into an album for print.

sometimes, the photographer is low-budget, so he will not be going to spend precious time bothering to go through every photograph.

Last edited:
On average a photographer will deliver min of about 500-600 shots for a simple wedding, how much time will it take to do PP? I'm not saying totally no PP but min. like just 5% to 10% of total shots. Getting it right on camera is still the best way to work.

wow 500-600 is a lot for a simple wedding

but i know most of the bridal studios offering packages tend to shoot quite a few (for pre-wed, at least).. and then they let the couple select a certain number (20-25, i think) which they will tend proceed to process and compile into an album for print.

sometimes, the photographer is low-budget, so he will not be going to spend precious time bothering to go through every photograph.

This is what I understand too...but recent encounter set me in doubt. I saw the wedding album (pre-wed) and some of the photo has vignettes on it. If no PP done, the photographer must have done it in lens and/or hood combi. Or he is not honest .:think:

Agreed. Thats what most of my friends who are pro or freelancing as a wedding photographer do.. From them, Its best to get everything done within the settings of the camera.

But do most shoot Jpeg or raw in that case?? i wonder... :think:

I think got to do PP as photos fresh out of DSLR nice meh?

but i know most of the bridal studios offering packages tend to shoot quite a few (for pre-wed, at least).. and then they let the couple select a certain number (20-25, i think) which they will then proceed to process and compile into an album for print.

Pre wedding and Actual Day ( AD ) is different.

For pre wedding all the images will have to go througn some form of PP like touch up, effect, etc before sending out for print. As mentioned there will be about 20 to 25 images only and the cost is also much higher than AD so justify the additional work ;)

For AD shoots, the shots to be printed is at least 300 with about 500-600 given to the couple for selection, how to PP? :sweat:

Last edited:
wow 500-600 is a lot for a simple wedding

Simple wedding as in a normal chinese wedding from early morning till end of dinner, 500-600 not too much liow. Some photographer give up to 1000 shots ;)

This is what I understand too...but recent encounter set me in doubt. I saw the wedding album (pre-wed) and some of the photo has vignettes on it. If no PP done, the photographer must have done it in lens and/or hood combi. Or he is not honest .:think:

This is for pre wedding, higher cost with less printed image = PP for every shot ;)

Agreed. Thats what most of my friends who are pro or freelancing as a wedding photographer do.. From them, Its best to get everything done within the settings of the camera.

But do most shoot Jpeg or raw in that case?? i wonder... :think:

Some shoot in jpeg, some shoot in raw, some shoot in jpeg+raw. There are many thread on this liow. :)

Nice, why not nice? If a few thousands $$ worth of gear still can't produce nice image straight out of cam, than siow liow :sweat:.
Many photographers are already doing this liow. It's a matter of knowing your cam/flash, getting cam/flash setting right, understanding the shooting situation, correcting/adjusting the setting and shooting with care :sweat:

BTW, for AD coffee table albume, there are also less images printed and ther cost is also higher so like pre wedding, PP for all the shots also :sweat:

Usually there are 2 levels of postprocessing, 1st level, and 2nd level

1st level post processing is to check through, make sure everything is ok in lighting, sharpness, contrast, colors and white balance. This is to ensure everything photo passed back the the client won't contain any "mistakes". Any bad photos will be deleted.

2nd level post processing is applied to albums, web galleries, slideshows and prints. This is where further color enhancements and editing is done.

So it is always a balance between 1st level and 2nd level post processing.

Some wedding photographers give back most photos (800 to 1200), hence they will use 1st level post processing for the lot and only 2nd level for the final print/slideshows. This is what my company is doing.

Some other photographer give back a much limited number of photos (300) photos for a wedding day and they will use 2nd level post processing for all the photos they deliver.

cheers

Nice, why not nice? If a few thousands $$ worth of gear still can't produce nice image straight out of cam, than siow liow :sweat:.
Many photographers are already doing this liow. It's a matter of knowing your cam/flash, getting cam/flash setting right, understanding the shooting situation, correcting/adjusting the setting and shooting with care :sweat:

I think Photoshop exists for a reason - one of the reasons should be to enhance photos out of DSLR?

For me, I also do enhancement to my photos out of DSLR. It is enhancement, not correction of mistakes such as exposure.

I think the point that is loss here with the Digital Technology is the person behind the camera. In film days it was doing it right the 1st time in the camera and not much or no PP at all in the prints.

We have to distinguish between AD and studio shoot for album prints. Ad is 500-600 shots. Studio prints is the most 100 shots. PP 500-600 is a killer is you are shooting AD every week or every 3-4 days.

So work smart to have time for family, friends and recharge for next job!:):thumbsup:

I think the point that is loss here with the Digital Technology is the person behind the camera. In film days it was doing it right the 1st time in the camera and not much or no PP at all in the prints.

We have to distinguish between AD and studio shoot for album prints. Ad is 500-600 shots. Studio prints is the most 100 shots. PP 500-600 is a killer is you are shooting AD every week or every 3-4 days.

So work smart to have time for family, friends and recharge for next job!:):thumbsup:

Oh I see. Actually what I have in mind is those studio photos, magazine photos which certainly are PP-ed

from what i've been through and stuffs, we dont really PP much. just do some minor enhancing for those salvageable pictures and make the white balance more or less the same throughout the series.

out of the 1000 photos that the photographer may have taken during the wedding, the client will get to choose about 300 or so.

however if the client wants the pictures to be PPed extensively, there will be additional charges

Starting to get the picture here...
Still a long long way to go for me if I want to be wedding photographer...:embrass: