Do we really need a cloud service?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBTM

Nov 23, 2004
BB West
We can easily attach a NAS or external hard disk (At least 1TB of data!) to router and setup our own cloud, why are we paying for a service? Furthermore, you need to DL the content, isn't that need of a data plan? Maybe cloud for those don't know much on technical stuffs? Till now, even I got a router (NT-16, few years ago) able to link to an external disk, I don't bother to setup too. While external hard disk so portable, memory cards so cheap, cloud still worth to be there? :think:

Have you ever had a hard disk die on you? I even had a RAID die on me. Very painful.

Depends on what you need. E.g., If you don't need offsite redundancy, NAS/private cloud will suffice.

Here’s a short list of things that have another opinion about your redundancy strategy:

House fire
Flooding
Theft
Power outage
Faulty house wiring
Bad power strip or surge protector
Bug infestation
EMP

http://blog.pics.io/photo-talks/nas-network-attached-storage-vs-cloud-what-to-choose/

This article does provide an interesting suggestion around that for NAS/private cloud users:

A good backup strategy has at least one copy of your important data stored offsite – away from your main workplace. So, does creating your own cloud give you this?

In a word – no.

Creating a private cloud solution using your NAS offers the ability to remotely access your files wherever you are. But it doesn’t reduce the risk of a disaster that might happen in the building where the NAS is kept. If you're looking at using a NAS as part of your back up arrangement, I'd suggest making an agreement with a friend to house an offsite backup for each other.

It could work like this. You both purchase NAS units and agree to host them for each other. That way, you both get the benefit of offsite backup and remote file access.

This is also where the established cloud-based storage services can still be useful.

Dropbox, for example, lets you easily retrieve past versions of your files. If you accidentally delete or overwrite a file, you can restore a previous version of the file. If you use the free version of Dropbox, you can retrieve up to 30 days of file history and there is no limit on what can be retrieved if you have a paid Dropbox account.

One of the benefits that a public cloud service like Dropbox offers is that your files are saved offsite. Although there are some risks and considerations that you need to consider when your data is held offshore, it's something to keep in mind.

http://www.bit.com.au/Guide/365066,...-personal-cloud-instead-of-using-dropbox.aspx

Cloud works if you need to access your file from outside your place frequently. Hosting yourself is not as reliable.

Since when does a home NAS form any sort of cloud? Maybe it's good to have a look at what "cloud" actually means before asking whether one needs it or not?

Since when does a home NAS form any sort of cloud? Maybe it's good to have a look at what "cloud" actually means before asking whether one needs it or not?

I can access my NAS from outside. Almost same as a cloud service. Nowadays, WD also come out with Personal cloud, but the drive is in your home rather than a service which you are paying.

I can access my NAS from outside. Almost same as a cloud service. Nowadays, WD also come out with Personal cloud, but the drive is in your home rather than a service which you are paying.
Both are not cloud in the technical definition that is used in IT. Just marketing blabber.
I could remotely access my home systems already in 1998 via ISDN dial-in, triggered by a missed call. Nobody called it Cloud. Suddenly everything is cloud, which is a rather foggy or nebulous..
Cloud is defined by Virtualization and Distribution of data across multiple systems (not components). Where does your NAS does any of this? RAID is not cloud.

Both are not cloud in the technical definition that is used in IT. Just marketing blabber.
I could remotely access my home systems already in 1998 via ISDN dial-in, triggered by a missed call. Nobody called it Cloud. Suddenly everything is cloud, which is a rather foggy or nebulous..
Cloud is defined by Virtualization and Distribution of data across multiple systems (not components). Where does your NAS does any of this? RAID is not cloud.

My nas is connected to a router n I can control access if I want to share to other. So, isn't that similar to a cloud service? I using asus nt16 for few years already. But I just didn't setup as I don't need remote access. It also can act as a dl server whereby cloud can't, ha ha!

My nas is connected to a router n I can control access if I want to share to other. So, isn't that similar to a cloud service?
No. Simple as that.

I using asus nt16 for few years already. But I just didn't setup as I don't need remote access. It also can act as a dl server whereby cloud can't, ha ha!
Again, please read up a bit what cloud means before you start discussing it or even raise the question whether it is required. A download server is also not equal or related to 'could'.

I think there is definitely a future for cloud computing. Just that we are still in its infancy stages where the infrastructure is still being developed and there is a price premium to pay for being the first few users. Once more people make use of cloud computing such as Google Apps, the development of this technology would definitely accelerate even more quickly, and at a more affordable cost.

Personally I am already deriving some small benefits of using Google Apps and can see how it can translate to both personal and business uses in the future. Definitely a 'need' going forward!

It's a convenience... Just like handphone last time. No one would think that it's a necessity with public phone sprawled around the city.

You can backup your saved games to PSN cloud and whenever your PS console goes kaput you can download your saved games to the new unit and continue from where you left off.

Or, you can do that to your razer mouse profile....

No. Simple as that.

Again, please read up a bit what cloud means before you start discussing it or even raise the question whether it is required. A download server is also not equal or related to 'could'.

What cloud offers, doesn't seem to lure me into when I got my own nas/external hdd which connected to a router which having similar cloud functions. On top of that, my router could perform auto download service which cloud can't. So, cloud not for me n some. I not going to pay for a service which I "consider" having it at home. Heh heh!

What cloud offers, doesn't seem to lure me into when I got my own nas/external hdd which connected to a router which having similar cloud functions. On top of that, my router could perform auto download service which cloud can't. So, cloud not for me n some. I not going to pay for a service which I "consider" having it at home. Heh heh!

Cloud service is much more than just putting a HDD space to the router and letting the file available securely on the internet.

I not going to pay for a service which I "consider" having it at home. Heh heh!
1) Your assumption / "consideration" is wrong. What you have there has nothing to do with cloud.
2) Cloud does not equal to paying.
I will not repeat myself here. Go and do some read up and studying.

1) Your assumption / "consideration" is wrong. What you have there has nothing to do with cloud.
2) Cloud does not equal to paying.
I will not repeat myself here. Go and do some read up and studying.

I read up n find no different from what I doing. Maybe we having the different thinking lor. Case closed.

3rd reply also stated personal cloud. Maybe the title wrong. :think:

Status
Not open for further replies.