Do we need to sharpen the photos for studio prints...

Status
Not open for further replies.

KamWeng

Apr 7, 2002
Jurong
Visit site
... like we do on inkjet prints? I used to over sharpen a bit for inkjet prints. Read this from somewhere.

Most of the minilabs printers add some sharpening by default. However these default settings can be changed. Because of this it is impossible to know if a minilab is doing any sharpening. You may ask the lab to do no corrections and hope that they do switch off all effects including sharpening.

Fuji Frontier has two modes for prints. 1. sRGB 2. PD (stands for Printer Driver). sRGB mode convert the input files to sRGB color space and then various corrections can be added to the input files. While in PD mode , no correction is done as well as native color space is used. In this mode you can be sure that machine will not do any kind of corrections.

Hope this helps..

Thanks. If I sharpen the photos by myself, do I need to over-sharpen them a bit as apply on inkjet prints?

Sharpening is achieved by increasing contrast of adjacent pixels at a transition in an image. Any excessive sharpening will make image very unnatural. I am not sure why do you need to oversharpen for inkjet printers ?.

You should be more aggressive in sharpening for print due to the dot gain of the inkjet. The higher the dot gain, the more sharpening required to compensate for it.

inkjet printing oversharpen a bit
lab printing , dont over sharpen.

Why dun u talk to the lab first? They may be able to offer you some good tips... after all they have the best idea of how their workflow actually operates.

Status
Not open for further replies.