Do we need permission to shoot publicly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheQuestion

Jun 5, 2008
PenguinVille.
like on a street in orchard or at och? any bros care to share their knowledge? also do we need permission to shoot at Dempsey Rd?

Last edited:
Nope, you don't :)

Edit: OCH, Yes, since that is private property.

Last edited by a moderator:
wanted to check this question too but haven't post only..

btw vince,

are mrt stations exception? though they don't put up signs saying no photography we all know is prretty hard to shoot there..legally is it allowed?

In my personal view (which you can rely on at your own risk/detriment), the MRT station, being a privately owned place, has the right to impose any conditions for you being on the premises, including banning photography.

If however, there are no signs, you can claim that you have no notice of such a rule, and when they inform you of the rule on the spot, all you need to do is to leave. You do not have to surrender your camera or delete any images.

Any attempt to restrain you or snatch your camera or forcefully delete the photos, may render the MRT staff legally liable for both civil and criminal penalties.

This is by the way, quite different if you are standing on a public road and taking photographs OF an MRT station, as opposed to being INSIDE the MRT station.

wanted to check this question too but haven't post only..

btw vince,

are mrt stations exception? though they don't put up signs saying no photography we all know is prretty hard to shoot there..legally is it allowed?

any bros care to share their knowledge? also do we need permission to shoot at Dempsey Rd?

If its near those empty old houses...perhaps "they" (those gurkhas on patrol from their camp) won't allow it. Many times i have seen portrait photographers getting stopped and chased away from those houses.

Maybe they have strict orders to chase away people from going too near the old base camp? I am not surprised, since they have patrols on the roads in the whole area, like almost every 20 minutes? :bsmilie:

If its near those empty old houses...perhaps "they" (those gurkhas on patrol from their camp) won't allow it. Many times i have seen portrait photographers getting stopped and chased away from those houses.

Maybe they have strict orders to chase away people from going too near the old base camp? I am not surprised, since they have patrols on the roads in the whole area, like almost every 20 minutes? :bsmilie:

ah ok coz someone told me they were shooting at dempsey and someone came and told them they needed a permit to shoot there and there's supposed to be a website that you have to go to to apply to shoot in singapore....

ah ok coz someone told me they were shooting at dempsey and someone came and told them they needed a permit to shoot there and there's supposed to be a website that you have to go to to apply to shoot in singapore....

ah... this i wouldn't know. But im sure many portrait-ists would love the lobang for it. :sweatsm:

If it's just some "touristy", or "drive-by" shooting of photos...then i think shouldn't be any problem. Was there during the canon photomarathon, didn't have any problems. (although i wasn't just outside their camp shooting...haha)

like on a street in orchard or at och? any bros care to share their knowledge? also do we need permission to shoot at Dempsey Rd?

orchard rd - no problem
och - it's property leased from the state so u may be caught for trespassing by the leaseholder
dempsey rd - i'm not sure

Aiya so many times pple say that you need this and that permit. Whether real or not they don't care - they just want to protect their interests.

In my personal view (which you can rely on at your own risk/detriment), the MRT station, being a privately owned place, has the right to impose any conditions for you being on the premises, including banning photography.

If however, there are no signs, you can claim that you have no notice of such a rule, and when they inform you of the rule on the spot, all you need to do is to leave. You do not have to surrender your camera or delete any images.

Any attempt to restrain you or snatch your camera or forcefully delete the photos, may render the MRT staff legally liable for both civil and criminal penalties.

This is by the way, quite different if you are standing on a public road and taking photographs OF an MRT station, as opposed to being INSIDE the MRT station.

right, understood. thanks!

Aiya so many times pple say that you need this and that permit. Whether real or not they don't care - they just want to protect their interests.

well dempsey is kind of tricky coz it is an old army camp.

actually i beg to differ. one day, in sheer boredom while waiting for a friend, i actually read through the whole board of mrt by-laws and photography was one of the no-nos. :)

Care to share where the by-laws can be found?

Besides, as I said, even if there is indeed such a rule, all MRT can ask you to do is to leave. Unless you tell me that there is specific legislation empowering them to detain you, search you, confiscate your camera, delete your photos etc.

actually i beg to differ. one day, in sheer boredom while waiting for a friend, i actually read through the whole board of mrt by-laws and photography was one of the no-nos. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.