Do we lack places to shoot in Singapore?

Status
Not open for further replies.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Originally posted by Winston
The key component of a good photographer is not his equipment or his skills and know-how. It's his creativity.

With Creativity, you can turn regular frequently shot buildings into award-winning pieces, with the right timing, filters...etc

The reason we get so bored with shooting in singapore is that we shoot what others have shot and from the same perspective, the same timing...etc

The same spot for sunset, the same spot for sunrise, the same old famous buildings of interest.

Try shooting at a different location, angle or time of the day. While it's good to look at photography books and other people's photos for inspiration.

Use that to develop your own style of shooting.

Most people will think about plants and insects when you mention macro photography, or city area, sunsets and sunrises when you talk about landscape photography, and models and studio shoots when you mention portaits photography.
But photography is beyond that.

Prize Winning photographs are also about the moment. I remember a photographer won the 1st prize for a B&W shot of some children playing at the fountain at Seiyu Bugis.

The laughter and the look of happiness of the children playing was what made it a prize winner, not a posed model with a posed smile on her face.

IMHO, the answer is no... shooting can be done anywhere and anyplace... of cos, cept for sensitive areas lah...

lack of nature? see a forest? anyhow whack and go in lah..

lack of buildings? plenty of them here..

lack of people? impossible...

LOL.. :gbounce:

In my younger days, my mission was to record the disappearing old buildings, street scenes, neighbourhoods, trades, before they disappear. Fotunately, some of these have actually survived. But some of them have gone, just as I thought they would. Those pictures I took hardly qualify as fine art, but they are interesting to look, reminise(?sp) and feel nostalgic over.

I am sure nowadays we can record the disappearing flaura and fawna in the nature reserves before they become another reservoir, highway, etc. Maybe with your pictures, the authority will reconsider preserving these places? Just like Ansel Adams did for the American National Parks?

Or have anyone thought about the soon disappearing neighbourhood -- Little Bohemia?

How about the soon to disappear Newton Hawker Centre?

I love to shoot mountains and valleys. Unfortunately, there aren't many (Bukit Timah?) in Singapore. But all my landscape shots turn out more like P&S camera shots. My skills are complete sh*t. I better turn my attention somewhere else that is more abundant in Singapore.

*gives Nikonian a pat on the back*

Dont worry, try again! I am sure you can get better shots even at the same place ^_^ just try more different angles and let your creative juices flow ~~~~~~

I am also just starting to learn photography, so I cannot give you much constructive advice. Just the usual, never say never ^_^

ahha...mugging too sian is it?
maybe u can train to be fulltime photographer instead?
Originally posted by beivied
*gives Nikonian a pat on the back*

Dont worry, try again! I am sure you can get better shots even at the same place ^_^ just try more different angles and let your creative juices flow ~~~~~~

I am also just starting to learn photography, so I cannot give you much constructive advice. Just the usual, never say never ^_^

yo? meng, you talking about me or nikonian?

ya la, studying very sian, esp when it is not effective. haiz .... look at my eyes :what: totally blur blur stun stun....

no la, i dun have the ingredients to be a full time photographer. i would enjoy it very much as a hobby la and then stay in the office to hun ri zi and earn money to feed my interests :D both diving and photography are very siong hobbies leh ... i also wanna travel ah!!!!! thursday toto, ehehhehe :D :D

you lor ;)

the old saying, when it's not effective, sleep with the notes and books on top of your head ;p

ingredients can be prepared, and it depends whether does one want so.
ex. hobby...your future hubby must be darm shiong..hehe

yo? meng, you talking about me or nikonian?

ya la, studying very sian, esp when it is not effective. haiz .... look at my eyes totally blur blur stun stun....

no la, i dun have the ingredients to be a full time photographer. i would enjoy it very much as a hobby la and then stay in the office to hun ri zi and earn money to feed my interests :D both diving and photography are very siong hobbies leh ... i also wanna travel ah!!!!! thursday toto, ehehhehe :D :D

I am never really deprived of anything to shoot in Singapore. What was it you have in mind when talking about things to shoot in Singapore? There are plenty of subjects here in Singapore.

To be a successful photographer is someone who puts aside his vision of a place he so thought was common and view it with a fresh new perspective, just like how a tourist would view this place.

If you are a Singaporean, no one has better opportunity to document Singapore better than you do. You are able to "Singlish" with the people here which the tourists cannot do. You are more familiar with all the body languages, lingo, and dialects here than anyone from overseas. To put it simply, you have the extra edge over many photographers from overseas to mingle and mix with the people here to create photo opportunities.

Knowledge of subject is of paramount importance to every photographer. You don't just get in there and shoot like nobody's business and expect to nail a shot. I am not saying you can't, but chances of a successful shot is just so much slimmer. Read up on the latest fashions, arts scenes, food, games, business trends and etc. etc. so you are prepared for the latest updates to record, and also help plan your shoot accordingly. Yes, photography is about planning and not only luck or "ready made" subjects. I class myself more as a photojournalist and a photojournalist has to be very knowledgeable to know what to expect. General knowledge I mean. Studying human behaviour too helps in grabbing the decisive shot.

I have no objections to photographers travelling overseas to shoot because they may be tired of shooting in Singapore, but taken what I say just now into consideration, are you able to break the ice with the locals overseas and acquire stunning images? Are you able to think freely and let inspiration flow with the shots? I am one sucker who believes if a fellow Singaporean can't even appreciate Singapore, no matter which country he/she goes to, he will end up with less than average pictures. It all boils down to your vision and mindset.

I have been photographing Pulau Ubin for the last 6 years because there are a lot of changes going on during these years and I am still doing it now. I used to photograph the streets of Singapore but find myself lacking out in time to my Pulau Ubin project. I would love to continue shooting in mainland Singapore more fervantly when I am more or less done with the Ubin project.

Remember, it is all about your mindset and vision.

Andy Ho
Singapore's Pulau Ubin Pictures

Originally posted by Freed
Yes, I think for landscape photography, Singapore can get quite boring after a while, or at least it's hard to find a good place.

actually, i think it's just the opposite. if you're loaded with a lowepro trekker backpack, and have two or three fave lenses, you can walk for hours on end and still risk running out of film to shoot!

i was walking around bukit merah, and i thought there's a fair load of stuff to shoot - then later i walked from peninsula plaza to sim lim square - even more stuff to shoot. sadly, i wasn't carrying along the cam... :p

andy>>>>>>>>>>>>> clap clap clap ^_^

sehsuan is right too.

ai ya, it depends on your mindset really. i would think that going out there armed with your camera and an open mind would help quite a bit ^_^

this is especially true for a person like me, dio diao at home cannot go photoshooting... :(

to meng:

ya lor! actually hah, it is realy my own fault that i am studying like an idiot and getting nothing in la.... haiz.

i am not going to depend on future hubby to pay for my hobbies ok... i am depending on thursday's toto!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hahahhahahha :D :devil:

thanks beivied.

actually this is what i think - most humans (myself included), are lazy by nature, and can't really motivate ourselves at times to head out of the door to go around our own neighbourhood. but once we're out of the neighbourhood, you'll see a lot of stuff you'll never encounter in your own estate, in someone else's estate.

and all these stuff are the things that some of you lose out on, when you say, "there's nothing to shoot..."

suj, you can refer to this url:
http://www.pa.org.sg/pamain/CSC Inter-Con Games 2003 - 1.doc

there's actually quite a lot of sporting events you can shoot at - but if you say, "but, i'm not into sports!" - then you would have realized you have not tried out enough variety, leading you to think that you've run out of stuff to shoot.

mm, ya lor, if you are just thinking of only one type of subject to shoot, you are really limiting yourself very, very , very much ...

yo sehsuan, so late liao still havent sleep ah????? :eek:

:thumbsup:
I was just waiting for someone around his place and whilst waiting, I just whipped out my A40 and shoot off happily under the hot sun. Some uncle even thought that i was suspicious. haha

shot around 30 shots just in that 1 hour there around a small place of the small garden and open space around the few blocks of flats.

Originally posted by sehsuan
actually, i think it's just the opposite. if you're loaded with a lowepro trekker backpack, and have two or three fave lenses, you can walk for hours on end and still risk running out of film to shoot!

i was walking around bukit merah, and i thought there's a fair load of stuff to shoot - then later i walked from peninsula plaza to sim lim square - even more stuff to shoot. sadly, i wasn't carrying along the cam... :p

haha...find someone of your course to chit chat and discuss lor..

I don't mean the financial aspect..but that he has to accompany you on those diving trips and shootings also...haha...and face your equipment when he might know nuts about them...=> boredom :)
to meng:

ya lor! actually hah, it is realy my own fault that i am studying like an idiot and getting nothing in la.... haiz.

i am not going to depend on future hubby to pay for my hobbies ok... i am depending on thursday's toto!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hahahhahahha :D :devil:

haha, ai ya, say so earlier ma! make me paiseh....

then i find someone with similar interests la, at least diving or photography lor ^_^ even though it might mean i have to tahan his craze over soccer or something worse :rolleyes: :p

Status
Not open for further replies.