Do we have too many DSLR models to choose from?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomshen

Feb 20, 2002
Singapore
Just after I decided no more upgrade... :angry:

I have 'decided' never to say I am truly settled with a DSLR ... the fact is with newer and more advance models popping up here and there, such temptations are usually hard to ignore ...

Just go and take a cold shower, do something else that got nothing to do with photography ... I think you got the point. ;)

with my previous digicam, I've "decided" no more upgrade. but after upgrading to the 300D, I've "decided" more upgrade in the works ;p

The temptation is hard to resist.

You should have posted a poll, tomshen :bsmilie:

I think we do not have enough DSLR's to choose from. All the major players now have DSLR's in the market, but NONE of them have the same range of DSLR's that they did with film:

Canon has the 300D, 20D, 1DMk2, 1Ds. There is no midrange DSLR (EOS-3 replacement). Each DSLR is much more expensive than their film SLR's, which is a barrier to entry. The same can be said for the rest of the DSLR makers.

Nikon has the D70, D100, D2H, and D2X. This is a disjointed lineup, with the D70 better than the D100, and the D2X better than the D2H at each camera's own game - i.e. the D2X takes higher quality pictures at the same FPS as the D2H; the D70 is supposed to be then entry level camera - yet it is better than the supposedly "superior" D100. Nikon users do not have a clear upgrade path - so the DSLR lineup from Nikon needs to be rationalized.

Pentax, Olympus, Konica-Minolta, Sigma only have one or two DSLR's in their lineup. All have sensibly attacked the entry level first (where the volume is) before taking their cameras upmarket. Plenty of space for future DSLR's here!

We have yet to hear from Leica or Contax, but Leica is said to have an R-series digital back in the works. That leaves Contax as the only major SLR manufacturer without a DSLR in its lineup.

probably those who are still contemplating upgrades all the time, shouldn't be photographers. they are becoming collectors.

have you shot today? (R)

:bsmilie:

Amfibius said:
You should have posted a poll, tomshen :bsmilie:

I think we do not have enough DSLR's to choose from. All the major players now have DSLR's in the market, but NONE of them have the same range of DSLR's that they did with film:

Canon has the 300D, 20D, 1DMk2, 1Ds. There is no midrange DSLR (EOS-3 replacement). Each DSLR is much more expensive than their film SLR's, which is a barrier to entry. The same can be said for the rest of the DSLR makers.

Nikon has the D70, D100, D2H, and D2X. This is a disjointed lineup, with the D70 better than the D100, and the D2X better than the D2H at each camera's own game - i.e. the D2X takes higher quality pictures at the same FPS as the D2H; the D70 is supposed to be then entry level camera - yet it is better than the supposedly "superior" D100. Nikon users do not have a clear upgrade path - so the DSLR lineup from Nikon needs to be rationalized.

Pentax, Olympus, Konica-Minolta, Sigma only have one or two DSLR's in their lineup. All have sensibly attacked the entry level first (where the volume is) before taking their cameras upmarket. Plenty of space for future DSLR's here!

We have yet to hear from Leica or Contax, but Leica is said to have an R-series digital back in the works. That leaves Contax as the only major SLR manufacturer without a DSLR in its lineup.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Contax/contax_ndigital.asp

The dSLRs seem to be entering the same phase as digicams a while back - exploding numbers of models from every manufacturer. Should settle down after a while, like the digicams.

sehsuan said:
probably those who are still contemplating upgrades all the time, shouldn't be photographers. they are becoming collectors.

have you shot today? (R)

:bsmilie:

I did shoot today! with a compact digicam though, not my dslr ;p

A few things I have learnt from digital photography:

1. Dont wait: by the time u wait all the bugs are fixed and the price comes down a bit, new product will be annouced and u have to wait again!

2. Dont hold: when u want to sell something, sell it fast. Tomorrow's price might be the half of today's due to unproven rumors.

3. Dont shoot: Coz when u sell your gears, still can claim "very mint", "like new"

4. Never say never: there is always something cheaper better fast and sexier.

5. Dont log into any online forums: that will make u poorer than ever.

Choices is good for consumer like us.

There's a model for different kind of photographer and budget. :)

Amfibius, you missed so many Canon DSLR's - 10D, D30, D60, 1D and I think for Nikon you missed some as well such as the D1X

tomshen said:

1. Dont wait: by the time u wait all the bugs are fixed and the price comes down a bit, new product will be annouced and u have to wait again!

2. Dont hold: when u want to sell something, sell it fast. Tomorrow's price might be the half of today's due to unproven rumors.

3. Dont shoot: Coz when u sell your gears, still can claim "very mint", "like new"

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

tomshen said:

tomshen, tomshem BUYBUYBUY,SHOOTSHOTSHOT,UPGRADEUPGRADEUPGRADE! :D :D ;)

Belle&Sebastain said:
tomshen, tomshem BUYBUYBUY,SHOOTSHOTSHOT,UPGRADEUPGRADEUPGRADE! :D :D ;)

Hey, my record so far is still rather good. ONLY two bodies in the long long 2.5-year digital photography... ;)

acroamatic said:
brilliant, sehsuan... :thumbsup:

thanks, acroamatic ;)

actually, what i was trying to say is, whether we can justify getting the latest, best model (at a point of time) for our usage pattern. one thing that sticks to my mind is, for shooting, we only need ONE shot, not 7 other frames in that one second timeframe to delete. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.