Do you really like your job?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

David

Deregistered
Mar 21, 2002
Visit site
I've been thinking lately.... where am i or rather are u heading? Nowadays, getting a degree has become so commercialized -- flip the papers and within 5 pages or so u r bound to see adverts on degrees. Even the 2 oldest unis here NUS and NTU are advertising themselves like they are selling products!
Almost anyone can get a degree these days as long as they have the $ and time.

Pay is getting pretty stagnated, things are getting expensive and working hours are usually getting longer.

So I thot of doing a poll...

Do we just work and work for the $$ or do we find a higher meaning to what we are doing?

I teach. I'm learning to like it by finding meaning in my job ... otherwise I'll be going through the motion and somewhere down the road I'll be asking myself what have done with my life ...

Adam Goi said:
I teach. I'm learning to like it by finding meaning in my job ... otherwise I'll be going through the motion and somewhere down the road I'll be asking myself what have done with my life ...

Wow, tt's a fast response!

That's good for you... I have many friends who are teachers. I get 2 extreme responses. Those who really love what they are doing (like u) and I applaude that... great. And those who simple couldn't stand it and quit after the bond is over. Usually the latter feel teaching is s**ty work and it's not as promising as what the adverts say...

i like my working environment because besides being called a chef,ssince i am onli a small ccook ! :bsmilie:

and bring the smile to my guests of course! and good food and unrealistic prices....

and my pay is good because of all cooks of the same rank, i earn the most, hahaha... tats why i like my job. and the best part....

cook what u like. eat what u like. all hotel pay.. muhahahaha..

Usually the latter feel teaching is s**ty work and it's not as promising as what the adverts say...

Actually the adverts do have a grain of truth in them
but like all adverts, it's not showing you the whole picture.

The school system is not one big monolith with the same conditions for all of them.
All schools have different environments and circumstances.
It's like many different companies under the banner of one entity (i.e. MOE)

If you're lucky, there will be things that you like and it will be enough to mask the things you don't like.
If you're really lucky, you'll love everything.
If you're not, then you won't like anything you see.

If you want an idea of what the ads aren't telling you, then today's (25 june) forum page of the straits times will be a good place to start.

I'm torn between two... I love my job cos I love to do what I am doing, I hate my job cos damn, it's not my own business... now where do I head from here?... ;)

glennyong said:
i like my working environment because besides being called a chef,ssince i am onli a small ccook ! :bsmilie:

and bring the smile to my guests of course! and good food and unrealistic prices....

and my pay is good because of all cooks of the same rank, i earn the most, hahaha... tats why i like my job. and the best part....

cook what u like. eat what u like. all hotel pay.. muhahahaha..

wahh ... glenny is a chef? ... wahahha ... wanted to be one .. a couple of years ago ... but was told to be realistic :cry: ... no option then bank on cooking/baking skills ... otherwise thread the conventional path and go jc .. study standard subjects (phy, chem, maths) then get a degree .. get a standard job ...

I used to like my job a lot in the first few years.
But, lately have been thinking of doing something else. Hopefully related to photography.
Doing something for a living which is your hobby is really great.

Expiredyoghurt said:
wahh ... glenny is a chef? ... wahahha ... wanted to be one .. a couple of years ago ... but was told to be realistic :cry: ... no option then bank on cooking/baking skills ... otherwise thread the conventional path and go jc .. study standard subjects (phy, chem, maths) then get a degree .. get a standard job ...

hahahahaahhaahaha.... if gt chance, i can cook for u. u can try my cooking and grade me. but be warned. i have not received any proper training from Shatec. all culinary skills are passed from my chef. but so far. no complaints...

anyone dare to take the challenge ? lol.... ;)

Actually my option is between 1 and 2

I dun treat the job as my hobby cos I'm not a workaholic but i'm motivated to complete my task in 1 way or another.

Depends on how u define good working enviroment? To me, there are always the angels and devils....$$ wise I "try" not to settle for less..As my major job staisfaction comes from $$$..keke

How can I not like a job that allows me to feed my family, give education to my kid, and enough left over for my hobby?

Instead of asking whether I really like my job, why not ask why you should not like your job? Are we infected with the ridiculous notion that "job satisfaction" is paramount?

Boring? Make it interesting. No prospects? Is prospect that important? I think the most important thing whether I like my job is the people around me. With good colleagues, I look forward to my job everyday.

glennyong said:
hahahahaahhaahaha.... if gt chance, i can cook for u. u can try my cooking and grade me. but be warned. i have not received any proper training from Shatec. all culinary skills are passed from my chef. but so far. no complaints...

haha ... i got a friend in shatec too ..(are u there atm?) ... i don't mind taking your challenge ... but must be vegetarian food hor ... i'm vegetarian =P ...

i could bake for u too .. haha ... but be warned ... no proper training from anyone :bsmilie: all my skills passed to be from my mom ... lolz ... cos she has no daughters ... so the sons must learn how to cook and bake :sweat:

moondancer said:
excuse me, how do i vote?

new members ...can't vote ... till 1month & 50+ posts .. i believe ... correct me if i'm wrong hor ..

(and apologies for going OT)

doing full time studiess n holding a weekend sales job now.... some how i just love my job althought its just part time...but being able to interact with pple from all walks of life and exercise my communication skills etc... items that i sell r similar... but the problems n pple i face are never the same :bsmilie:

glennyong said:

i dare to take the challenge.... but need to pay? :D i love to eat... thats just me :D

Think I got a best job here haha Selling camera's...... Paid to play with cameras......

I'm not a pro shooter anymore. I started to hate it when I depended on it to eat. Still love shooting for pleasure now.

I hate my job, but I only work the weekend. So every monday feels like a vacation. If only I could make more money as my photographic equipment I costing me. Personally for the last 2 yrs. I go to work but I'm not actually all there, my mind is other places just going through the tedious motions.

It's not the question whether I dislike my job or not.
My job allows me to do photography in the weekends.
It pays the bills and photography creats the bills
However job is limiting and consticting and monotonous
as I only do part of the process
I have to depend on so many people for other parts
With photography I practically decides on everything
Except God decides whether it's going to rain or not
and the model's parents decide how she looks like

:sweatsm:

Status
Not open for further replies.