do u pro use tripod when u walk around taking night photography???

Status
Not open for further replies.
it is possible to shoot fullerton hotel at night,

using 17-55mm F2.8 IS on newer model like 40D

shoot at 17mm,
F2.8
ISO 1600
1/30 sec

:bsmilie::bsmilie:

okok thank for al lthe reply.... anyway... may i know u all guy tripod height??? mine around my chest area.... so i always have to bend to look thru VF.... do u all get the full height one??

Hi, actually bending a little is not so bad. You have to remember that the general population here in Singapore is between 1.65 to 1.8 metres tall so the general accepted "good" perspective is between those two levels.
When I started photography, I was about 1.2m tall and shot everything looking up. Perspective was like a young child which I was then. Then in my teens, I was in the "normal" range and all my shots looked normal as they should. After NS, I had reached my full height of 1.93 and then my shots started to make everyone look short with large heads. It took me a while and some advice from older photographers to realize that I had to lower the perspective to a more "realistic" level so that my shots look normal.
Hope this makes sense. trying to type in almost darkness and not wake my wife and baby boy up. Hehe. GOD Bless.

usually when using handheld.. i cant really get perfect sharp pic... maybe my technique sa la... so was wondering.... do u guy actually bring tripod around???? if yes... wont the pple walking pass u give u a funny look???

He he during overseas trip ppl there did look at me, at beginning really not use to it, but slowly will be ok...

wah piang, spend so much buying the tripod liao then keep at home to collect dust meh.

when i have the kaching! yea, i will def bring it arnd

U won't need so much $$$ unless u're buying the higher-end ones. Initially i also told myself that after buying my tripod i'll always lug it around, but after a while u might reconsider due to weight.

How can you take good night shots without a tripod? Bring it with you and see the difference! :D

Get a tripod bag if you don't have one. Then people won't see your tripod when you're not shooting. ;p

walking thru dark corners in the night? tripod can save you too!

technically, you should use a tripod esp if shoot timing range from evening onwards.
95% great landscape pics are shot with tripods. remaining 4% uses misc objects. While the exceptional 1% uses technique :X

So far for my night shoots i've not used a tripod yet. But i foresee I would in the near future as I focus on landscapes.

No worries about ppl giving you the weird looks when you carry a tripod. You're out to take pics, not on a fashion parade. When u need an equipment, u gotta bring it. :p

U won't need so much $$$ unless u're buying the higher-end ones. Initially i also told myself that after buying my tripod i'll always lug it around, but after a while u might reconsider due to weight.

the cheapest i saw SLIK was like $138? ABIT on the heavy side...
Saw the carbon ones on display.... weighs like a feather :bsmilie:
Anyone got cheaper ones to recommend?

I normally just use my legs when I walk around...thank goodness I can still use them without the need to use walking stick or tripod. :bsmilie:

Then again, I am not pro. So... ...:embrass:

if you get a DSLR to get good pictures, then PRO or NOt PRO is not an issue. When we say you are PRO, we look at your pictures, not whether you wear a oakley sunglasses behind the viewfinder :)

Besides lugging a huge and heavy looking tripod walking on the street, there are alot of other ways to make a photographer look funny infront of other people who knows nuts about photography. I carry a ladder for some events too, looks pro ? Nah... I think I look like a clown. But who cares anyway.... They wouldn't be looking at your photos.

So the main question is therefore: Are you here to look pro or wanna take pro photos. If it is the latter, then use whatever equipment that are made for the purpose.

My 2 cents worth

I normally just use my legs when I walk around...thank goodness I can still use them without the need to use walking stick or tripod. :bsmilie:

Then again, I am not pro. So... ...:embrass:

For some reason, i think AMedia misunderstood the question?

the cheapest i saw SLIK was like $138? ABIT on the heavy side...
Saw the carbon ones on display.... weighs like a feather :bsmilie:
Anyone got cheaper ones to recommend?

The Slik Sprint Pro GM is pretty gd, cheap and light but not that stable. Goes for under $90.

I'm using the Manfrotto 055XProB with 488RC0 ballhead. When fully extended without centre column extended and camera mounted with grip, it's already above my head. So i always have to retract a bit in order to accomodate my height.

That has become part of my normal outfit,( could say, can't live without it ) originally was using the 058 model.

You can get the smaller tripods so you don't get as much attention.

In any case, you shouldn't others stop you from taking good shots. I'm sure that most would stare out of envy than of annoyance.

The funny things, it is very often, after I have all my equipment, I get to meet tourists asking my help in taking their photo. Sometimes, they are cute mei mei... :lovegrin:

:thumbsup: experienced this one too. ;) .. especially to those who have a hard time getting good pics from auto settings in P&S cams.

experienced this one too. ;) .. especially to those who have a hard time getting good pics from auto settings in P&S cams.

Not only PnS. This way I got my first hands-on experience on a Nikon D90 ;) - 2 lovely girls asked me to take their pictures at the top of esplanade with city in background. Nice cam, indeed. And no side-effects from the presence of my 2 Canon cams :lovegrin:

The lower end ones still will, burn a hole right through my pocket.

i When we say you are PRO, we look at your pictures, not whether you wear a oakley sunglasses behind the viewfinder :)

eh.. sounds like someone i know....

Status
Not open for further replies.