do u like Microsoft Office and Outlook?

sfoto100

Nov 29, 2009
hi

do you guys like to use it? do u find it user friendly? do you find that it helps in productivity?

My answers are a BIG NO to all these 3 questions...

I just don't know why companies choose to use this inferior product... i really hate Outlook.. i have to use it daily, and yet the stupid address book really SUCK big time... the search function for address book is dumb! wtf! why can't they use a better search engine within outlook? in the end, i have to go to that person and ask him to write down his email on paper for me... and sometimes i need to go to my inbox and do a reply... jsut because of this dumb search engine in the address book!!

:thumbsd:

can you come up with better alternatives, especially microsoft office?

i had the misfortune of having to try out openoffice once. the fact remains that these products experience network externalities, i.e. the more users use it, the harder it is to change product.

you can read more about such a concept here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_effect

loads of people whine about facebook everytime its privacy policy is revealed to be horribly inadequate and unfair. but it still remains one of the top social network platforms on the internet. why? because everyone has facebook.

you might come up with something really cool, a good alternative with clearly defined private policies, less bugs, much more pleasant presentation. but the fact remains, if you can't convince a certain base number to shift over, you won't beat facebook.

same goes for microsoft office.

What about the searching? Kind enough to clarify?

can you come up with better alternatives, especially microsoft office?

i had the misfortune of having to try out openoffice once. the fact remains that these products experience network externalities, i.e. the more users use it, the harder it is to change product.

you can read more about such a concept here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_effect

loads of people whine about facebook everytime its privacy policy is revealed to be horribly inadequate and unfair. but it still remains one of the top social network platforms on the internet. why? because everyone has facebook.

you might come up with something really cool, a good alternative with clearly defined private policies, less bugs, much more pleasant presentation. but the fact remains, if you can't convince a certain base number to shift over, you won't beat facebook.

same goes for microsoft office.

misfortune? so u don't like openoffice? what happened?

personally i prefer the old version of MS office.. like 2003 ... the recent ones are so hard to use...

What about the searching? Kind enough to clarify?

searching for the people that i wanted to email... it is especially bad for my company.. an MNC with hundred thousands of staff member...

if it works like google serach engine, it will be so much better... it is something like CS search engine... sigh...

personally i prefer the old version of MS office.. like 2003 ... the recent ones are so hard to use...

I dun like OpenOffice too.

I like older version of MS Office too. My favourite still 2003. I dun like the 2007 new menu bar and other layouts

Office 2003 works fine for me. Partly because I got it as part of my MSDN package.

Also, UI wise, it's simpler and and more intuitive.

I think the younger generation, especially the more IT savvy ones (not the ones who don't know the difference between a processor and an OS), prefer Office 2007 more, while the rest of the people generally prefer the older versions more. I personally prefer Office 2010 with the customisable ribbon where I can put all the settings I need into one tab. It sure takes a little time to get used to, but personally the new UI works better. The main reason why most people find the older UI works better is because they are used to it and are generally unwilling to change and adapt (people usually get more reluctant to change and experiment as they get older).

As for Outlook, I've never used it before so I can't say anything about it. I use Google mail, my school uses it too, and things go pretty smooth with the system. I've had no problems so far with Google mail, I've never bothered to install Outlook, always uncheck it in my MS Office installation.

Yeah, I went through that phase too. There's something they got right in MS Office 2003 and somehow it kinda went downhill from there. But after using for a while, I kinda got used to it. :dunno:

The menus are re-placed in very different positions and it took me a while to find the things I used to find easily, and frankly, I don't see the rationale either for some of these changes but life goes on. Now I can't use the old MS Office 2003 anymore :rolleyes:

And I still want my Lotus Notes back also.

i believe your are talking about the latest version of office and outlook. yes, i agree, the search engine is very user un-friendly. i got fed up and uninstalled it, reinstalled office 2003.

hi

do you guys like to use it? do u find it user friendly? do you find that it helps in productivity?

I just don't know why companies choose to use this inferior product... i really hate Outlook.. i have to use it daily, and yet the stupid address book really SUCK big time... the search function for address book is dumb! wtf! why can't they use a better search engine within outlook? in the end, i have to go to that person and ask him to write down his email on paper for me... and sometimes i need to go to my inbox and do a reply... jsut because of this dumb search engine in the address book!!

just curious, is the Search in your Outlook not working, or it is working but you don't like it? If it is the former, did you perform indexing and enable Instant Search in Outlook?

I am a IT administrator for my company... and I to be honest with you... I love my Outlook (same goes to my Exchange Servers). I have my email account sync-ed with my iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad, WinMo... almost every crap around me has my mail account in it. As for Outlook address book, nothing beats having GAL in all mobile devices :lovegrin:

You just have to live with it and learn to live with it. :)

Off course i like Microsoft Office and Outlook
Microsoft Office Outlook, is a personal information manager from Microsoft, available both as a separate application as well as a part of the of the Microsoft Office suite. The current version is Microsoft Outlook 2010 for Windows.

Malaysia Packages
Kuala Lumpur

horribly un-user-friendly.

if you thought microsoft was bad..................... openoffice is like an auntie trying to tell you what to do.

the new ones are ok what, you just get used to them. when you change something, you will have to get used to it. etc. i mean, they're not the most brilliant product around for sure, but they got there for a reason.

horribly un-user-friendly.

if you thought microsoft was bad..................... openoffice is like an auntie trying to tell you what to do.

the new ones are ok what, you just get used to them. when you change something, you will have to get used to it. etc. i mean, they're not the most brilliant product around for sure, but they got there for a reason.

haha that sounds like the functionalist's views.

i'll say that its fine. its how fast u master the office. to draw a comparision, i can give u a compact vs a 1dmk4. how fast do u master both cameras?

1dmk4 might take a longer time getting used to both the weight and the manual modes.
no doubt msoffice may be hard, but with google+ trial and error i have no probs so far.

haha that sounds like the functionalist's views.

i'll say that its fine. its how fast u master the office. to draw a comparision, i can give u a compact vs a 1dmk4. how fast do u master both cameras?

1dmk4 might take a longer time getting used to both the weight and the manual modes.
no doubt msoffice may be hard, but with google+ trial and error i have no probs so far.

i'm talking about openoffice, actually..

have you used OO before? it's free, please go and download it.

i'm talking about openoffice, actually..

have you used OO before? it's free, please go and download it.

used. rather go for ms office instead:bsmilie: and i'm not talking abt oo lar. i'm saying the way u sound sounds like somethign i came accross. then direct at the ts liao.

i also used google docs. somehow ms just is much more common and better if i'm using it.

ah might as well rephrase everything here.

i cannot find a better alternative compared to ms. used a few before, felt that while ms office is complex, especially the new versions, they are more commonplace formats and it is useful to learn, even if its quite hard.

Last edited:
hi

To be honest, I have the fortune and misfortune to use the 3 major corporate messaging suite - Groupwise, Lotus Notes and Exchange. Guess what...Exchange and Outlook is my favourite email platform. I guess global corporate email address book is never going to be easy to manage. Imagine searching for Indian names...how many Subramaniam, Joshi, Deepak to name a few. Similiarly for Chinese names...how many Adrian Tan, Peter Wong and the likes. If you don't know them by dialect name, how to search? And Thai names....have you come across a name 26 alphabets long? Also Russian and Eastern European names, the kov, vic and che...which we are not used to seeing. And what about the Arabs....you know how many are called Mahmoud, Mohammad? I think these are not what the email client can help....

hi

I just don't know why companies choose to use this inferior product... i really hate Outlook.. i have to use it daily, and yet the stupid address book really SUCK big time... the search function for address book is dumb! wtf! why can't they use a better search engine within outlook?

Oo Yiah Boh?

Ms Office 2003 is robust and free of gimmicks. Don't really like the 2007 and 2010. If you were Microsoft, look... there are mouths to feed and bills to pay. Have to create new version for you to buy. Whether it is "better" is another story.

Don't use the "Find" in Outlook.
Use "Advanced Find".

If really don't like, use LOOKOUT.

If really required, can try to buy XOBNI. (can't figure out the "free" version"). Supposedly great search add in. Have not tried it though. The Advanced Find in Outlook 2003 is enough for me.

Last edited:
oh yes. just realised. we have to be fair. there are people who just find tech crazy, like my parents. they are the digital immigrants, i'm a digital native. to me its easy, to them its tough. so thats another consideration

MS Office 2003 SBE is good. MS Office 2007 SBE has too many useless functions. Too many steps to do 1 thing in words 2007. Outlook is fine.

OpenOffice is not my cup of tea. I've rolled out OO to many departments and I can tell you that I only received curse and swears on it from users. Totally user-unfriendly.

If you think outlook is bad, try lotus mail and you will start to realise how comfortable you are with outlook then and how messy and stoic Lotus mail is.