Status
Not open for further replies.

chua_jacky

Jul 15, 2005
AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED.

k i h v some feed bb fr the user :)

I'm very new into photography and nd some help and
advice on chosing a lens:)

Very specialized lens with limited uses. and not a cheap lens too. might want to consider other lenses first since you said you are new to photog

mayb can tell us wad u equipement/stuff currently hav, wad do u shoot more of, & wads ur budget?...

chua_jacky said:
AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED.

k i h v some feed bb fr the user :)

I'm very new into photography and nd some help and
advice on chosing a lens:)

sharp :) but limited uses unless you wanna correct the distortion in all shots which makes framing difficult as the sides gets cropped off :bsmilie:

rebbot said:
sharp :) but limited uses unless you wanna correct the distortion in all shots which makes framing difficult as the sides gets cropped off :bsmilie:
Really? :think:

espn said:
Really? :think:

:kok: at least the sample I tried was sharp pretty much all over at 2.8 :p

but I eventually got the 16mm instead for a much lower price :bsmilie:

rebbot said:
:kok: at least the sample I tried was sharp pretty much all over at 2.8 :p

but I eventually got the 16mm instead for a much lower price :bsmilie:
Unless you are using an extension tube, you are then not getting a fisheye with a 16mm

Watcher said:
Unless you are using an extension tube, you are then not getting a fisheye with a 16mm
Your information is completely incorrect.

Fisheye lenses come in both spherical and rectangular image formats.

The 10.5mm DX Nikkor is a true fisheye that produces a rectangular image covering 180 degrees of diagonal coverage. It is designed exclusively for Nikon DSLR's and produces an image almost identical to the 16mm Nikkor Fisheye used with film cameras.

The longest focal length 135 format fisheye lenses are around 30~35mm and are from Russia.

Hi..! I'm currently holding a D70 and 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6G lens.
I was trying to take some pic of an insect and some flowers and realise tt magnificant of the subject isn't much. (macro)

Wat would be a better choice for that.?

a) macro lens (Sigma 50mm F2.8 EX DG )

b) wide angle lens (AF 24mm f/2.8D)

c) micro lens (AF 60mm f/2.8D)

d) wide zoom lens (Sigma 12-24mm f4.5-5.6,
AF 18-35mm f/3.5-5.5D IF ED)
Pls advice

Ian said:
Your information is completely incorrect.

Fisheye lenses come in both spherical and rectangular image formats.

The 10.5mm DX Nikkor is a true fisheye that produces a rectangular image covering 180 degrees of diagonal coverage. It is designed exclusively for Nikon DSLR's and produces an image almost identical to the 16mm Nikkor Fisheye used with film cameras.

The longest focal length 135 format fisheye lenses are around 30~35mm and are from Russia.
I know. The fact is that rebbot had mentioned previously that he had a 10.5 DX -> he is using a F-Mount DSLR. Now, with a 16mm, the cropping on a 1.5x DSLR sensor (unless he is using a FF F-mount DSLR) will not give a diagonal of 180 degrees of coverage -> it is not, by definition from the result, a FE. Similarly, a 6 or 8 mm lens on a DSLR cannot be called a circular/spherical FE as the result (not the focal length) is not the entire coverage, but a crop of it.

Po-tay-toe, po-ta-toe ;)

Watcher,

I owe you an apology, I didn't read your post carefully enough .. oh well I'm only human it seems.

Rgds,
Ian

Watcher said:

This applies to using a 16mm FE with a Nikon type DSLR or any other non full frame DSLR.

Using an extension tube alone will actually decrease the apparent angular coverage of a FE when used with a DSLR, as it effectively crops off mopre of the outside of the image circle. Also there will be issues of loss of

What you actually need is a series of extension tubes and what's known as a relay lens, which is a lens reversed to reduce the diamter of the image circle so it fits inside the area of the DSLR sensor. Such a system is large, complex to set up and requires quite a few extension tubes and a suitable relay lens (generally 35~55mm focal length).

Status
Not open for further replies.