Do u experience this noise in FX9?

Status
Not open for further replies.

daphz

Apr 19, 2004
p1010981.jpg

Do you see the "colourful" black in the watch? This was taken with a Panasonic FX9 (not mine), and imo it's terrible! Does the LX1 also have the same problem?

looks like a reflection leh..

Yeah, probably a reflection.

Btw can you upload the photo to another photo linking site rather than directly hotlinking from Dpreview.com?

Hexlord: removed the hotlink from dpreview.

reflection: how can it be a reflection?? I am not referring to that orange bit around 5-7pm part, I am referring to for example, the outer ring, with the numbers 40, 50. Can't you see that the space between 40 and 50 is not a 'pure' colour? It's a colourful grain. It is also apparent on the watch face where the dots representing 7 & 8 are...

so far some pictures i see from an LX1 user doesn't have this problem.
you can go have a look at his pictures just to be sure but none of them is in macro.

that is called luminance noise, you will see it in images taken by practically ALL compact/slim P&S digicams due to the smallish CCD chips used.

not noticeable if you print up to 4R.

i see. luminance noise was not significantly apparent when I was using canon ixus...

with PnS, you can't expect top quality mah...
pay peanuts, get peanuts..

take exact photos of the watch to compare with Ixus..

:( just that if I took 10 photos with my ixus, probably I'd be annoyed (regarding the luminance noise) with 1 or 2, whereas with the panasonic, there are maybe 5-6 that catch my eye with the luminance noise. :dunno:

was comparing Ixus60 and Fx9 for yesterday dinner outing with colleagues..

FX9 wins hand down...Ixus totally no fight..in all aspect...except the brandname.. (some people are still skeptical on brandnames...)

ixus 60?! oh no I've been sleeping! didn't know they have ixus 60 now?!

dear daphne, if you think the fx9 sux, do feel free to go back to your ixus. nobody's forcing the lumix down your throat.

noise is a fact of life for p&s cameras (apart from the f11). if you can't accept it, get a dslr.

peace.

sorry..it's Ixy60, or Isus55..

schon said:
dear daphne, if you think the fx9 sux, do feel free to go back to your ixus. nobody's forcing the lumix down your throat.

noise is a fact of life for p&s cameras (apart from the f11). if you can't accept it, get a dslr.

peace.
:eek: that was rather unneccessary

singdude said:
I only see Rolex ;)

Looks like reflection to me too.

i feel the same too... imagine the whole watch with the same "pure black" throughout, issit it very 2D??

ekardo said:
was comparing Ixus60 and Fx9 for yesterday dinner outing with colleagues..

FX9 wins hand down...Ixus totally no fight..in all aspect...except the brandname.. (some people are still skeptical on brandnames...)

Hi Ekardo,

Huh..?? I assume you are referring to Canon? Since when was there an Ixus60? I think so far it's Ixus55.

Do u mind elaborating briefly what sort of comparisons you did between the 2 cams to come to that conclusion?

I've been thinking between the FX7 or FX 9 vs Canon's Ixus 55. I kinda like the styling of the FX7/9.

Pls correct me if I'm wrong but the FX9 does not have any manual mode? But the Ixus 55 has. How do you make manual exposure adjustments then with the FX9? Is there at least an exposure compensation button?

Thanks.

daphz said:
Hexlord: removed the hotlink from dpreview.

reflection: how can it be a reflection?? I am not referring to that orange bit around 5-7pm part, I am referring to for example, the outer ring, with the numbers 40, 50. Can't you see that the space between 40 and 50 is not a 'pure' colour? It's a colourful grain. It is also apparent on the watch face where the dots representing 7 & 8 are...

Hi Daphne,

I'm surprised most didn't notice the noise. Maybe they are not discerning enough. No offence.

It looks obvious on my home comp. This monitor I'm using now is less obvious due to the quality and ambient lighting.

Yes, there is obvious noise in the black part. But as you know, this is really one of the "traits" of a compact digicam. It's not fair to judge a cam by just 1 image and it's best if possible to do a 1-1 comparison with another cam for the same subject under the same conditions.

But I have heard of noise issues with the FX9. Hope more users can share their experiences here.

I've been using a DSLR so maybe I have much higher (biased) standards in judging an image. I might be able to accept such noise (in the eg you showed) for casual shots but it's a no no to me for more serious ones.

But in general, I don't quite remember my Canon G3 experiencing such high level of noise except beyond ISO100 perhaps. Again, it's unfair to comment beyond that.

P.S. Why u said you don't like Canon in your personal info? :)

kiwi2 said:
Hi Ekardo,

Huh..?? I assume you are referring to Canon? Since when was there an Ixus60? I think so far it's Ixus55.

Do u mind elaborating briefly what sort of comparisons you did between the 2 cams to come to that conclusion?

I've been thinking between the FX7 or FX 9 vs Canon's Ixus 55. I kinda like the styling of the FX7/9.

Pls correct me if I'm wrong but the FX9 does not have any manual mode? But the Ixus 55 has. How do you make manual exposure adjustments then with the FX9? Is there at least an exposure compensation button?

Thanks.

IXUS 55 doesn't have manual mode. Unless, you mean controlling ISO, WB etc is manual mode which I believe the FX9 can also do that.

litefoot said:
IXUS 55 doesn't have manual mode. Unless, you mean controlling ISO, WB etc is manual mode which I believe the FX9 can also do that.

Oh.. Sorry abt that then. :embrass: By manual, I mean being able to control the aperture and s.s individually.

I read the review and I thot it did mention "manual".

Status
Not open for further replies.