Do U Bring Your DSLR When Attending Wedding Dinner As A Guest

Status
Not open for further replies.

cichlid

Dec 2, 2006
S'pore
I was invited to a distant relative's wedding recently and agonised over whether to bring my PNS or DSLR.

The problem was that I feel paiseh bringing a big camera there and the official photog may feel "threatened" ;p

In the end, I brought both PNS and DSLR only to leave the DSLR in the boot as I was late and gave myself the excuse not to bring it out of the boot.

What are your thoughts on bringing DLSR as a guest to a wedding dinner.

And I think Olympus have given me the answer in the form of E-P1, no $ to buy though :cry:

The most I'd bring is the P&S, pointless to bring the big gun into the dinner - you're there to act pretty/handsome and be shot with friends only right?

The most I'd bring is the P&S, pointless to bring the big gun into the dinner - you're there to act pretty/handsome and be shot with friends only right?

No la, brought only the 50mm prime lens

Hahah it actually doesn't matter what others think of you. You should take the big camera out and not feel shy, after all we photographers are all still learning and we all have to start somewhere. When i first started, i used to feel like what if my photos weren't good enough? what if others say i extra, carry big camera but their pns can take better photos?... It doesn't matter, to be a good photographer you have to have great self confidence. But it's okay because i still face this problems once in awhile! haha;p

I wouldn't bring any cam, not even a PnS. I'll just go and enjoy myself at the dinner. Afterall, I am supposed to be a guest and not a photographer there.

Personal take - want to bring an Arri or Panavision and motion tracking rig also can - as long as the hosts are ok with it and must always stay OUT of the way of the paid togs / don't inconvenience other guests or assume any privileges just because one is a guest. :)

Last edited:
bringing the DSLR to a wedding is ok i think, but when the official photographer is doing the job, please stay hundreds meter away from him or her, will interrupt while doing the photo taking. this is pretty annoying. i experience myself when shooting a ROM, the couple friend took out his camera and try to shoot hence hinder my movement and angles.

Ya, my intention was to be as discreet as possible

My P&S is to have nice shots of me/relatives/friends. Other than that, I probably keep my cam at home. imo, if you really want to bring the big guns there, just be courteous and ask the couple whether it is appropriate, and share the photos with them.

AND don't block the main photog or get in his/her way, he/she's there to capture the couple's most important day, so just give some face to the couple la =)

i think unless i am pretty close to the bride or groom..i might bring a camera because i want to capture my close friends' happiest moments from my perspective.

prob will want to capture B&W, on film with my small FM2+50mm.
cos' i cant really use this setup for some of the freelance wedding shoots.

for normal friends' weddings, i will just bring my mouth and eat.

Ya, my intention was to be as discreet as possible

LOL!

All of a sudden, one storey come to mind - friend was telling me he used to like taking a 5D and 24L 1.4 hoot hoot discretely ... stay out of the way of the pro togs, but after awhile, something started happening.

The paid togs started following him around to see what and how he take! :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Last edited:
Why bring DSLR along, its so big and bulky, if i am invited as a guest, i will like my face to show on the photos as well....:)

But then....

"He who holds the biggest gun eventually become the main photographer of the wedding dinner."

LOL!

All of a sudden, one storey come to mind - friend was telling me he used to like taking a 5D and 24L 1.4 hoot hoot discretely ... stay out of the way of the pro togs, but after awhile, something started happening.

The paid togs started following him around to see what and how he take! :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

I know what you mean. But come to think of it, wasn't it a wedding dinner not a photography's club gathering?? :bsmilie:

The only thing i would bring will be my stomach.

I wouldn't bring any cam, not even a PnS. I'll just go and enjoy myself at the dinner. Afterall, I am supposed to be a guest and not a photographer there.

Agree completely unless I'm a direct relative and am asked by the couple to get some extra shots. Better to go there and eat in peace rather than run around trying to get a shot, then going back to the table before all the shark's fin gets eaten up.

A friend of mine took his DSLR to a wedding for fun & was asked to be stand in as the photographer.

Because the paid photographer was late!

I personally would bring a small PnS to take photos of my close friends who are also at the same wedding.

why bring a DSLR to wedding dinner ? people send you an card asking u to be a guest, remember this hokkien saying ? > " be smart but not too smart ... "

i tink i will only bring a small pns...or mayb a film pns to shoot B&W cos its FF...haha...:)

I only bring my dslr when I / my parents are really close to the couple. Helped out with two weddings till now, one dinner, one full day. Both times, a simple wave of the camera and a smile, and I made conversation with the hired photog during breaks. Never got in the way, and made it a point to shoot in different places and with different angles. Both times I got good shots, and both times the couples were happy that they could freeload off me, while I get to increase my portfolio.

People don't really take me seriously, because I'm this little small boy boy walking around with a big camera and white lens, lol.

EDIT: I bring my cam to shoot to entertain myself also because I don't eat half the things on the menu. Seafood's out for me, heh ^^"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.