Do still use the Basic/Auto modes??

Status
Not open for further replies.

zorlak

Apr 22, 2009
manila
www.flickr.com
Im a bit curious, do you guys still use the basic/auto modes on your camera when shooting, specially in a wedding shoot or a model shoot?
Ive been using my camera for almost a year now and its seems like if im going to use those modes it feels like im cheating myself.Lol.:D

I do when I have no time to adjust, or when I'm too drunk/high on... urh... happiness to do anything, then it'd be on auto mode. :D

i did switch to Portrait and Macro mode when I got no time to set up the shot... or mere being lazy... but the result quite good in fact... since i don't actually know how to set up the flash properly... :confused:

You will be surprise to find out how many DSLR owners still use the auto mode. That's why camera manufacturers put scenes modes on entry level DSLRs. Same as people upgrading from P&S to DSLR but still holds the camera and look at the LCD screen instead of view finder to take pictures.

Last edited:
Always shot in M and A mode but never auto mode.

btw, a few cameras which I use before which are so basic, don't even come with a exposure meter, I have pay extra to buy some accessories just for metering.

I occasionally use the P mode when I use the on-camera flash as fill light in bright daylight (like noon sun). I need the fill to fill-in the shadows. However, the on-camera flash cannot sync faster than 1/200s. Since I am constrained by this, and the aperture size will have to be set to get the right exposure (thus DOF is out of my control), there is little room left for creativity. In which case, might as well set it to P and let the camera worry about the whole process. ;p

Thanks. At first i also use the auto modes, specially the the night mode and the no flash mode its particularly helpful when your lazy setting up the tripod or on a fast paced situations...but now thinking about using it is like cheating myself and the scene...I only set it to auto when someone who doesnt know about dslr borrows my camera.

So guys, specially the wedding photographers, do you or dont use auto mode? because i think automode helps in a certain situations in a very busy occasions such as wedding..but in the otherside when you use automode, is it like your cheating the client because a average guy with a PnS can shoot the same pic also..?

oh one more thing a photographer who uses auto can post process his jpegs while the average guys most likey cant, that can be a factor for a "un-auto look shot" hehehehe..

When I hand the camera off to someone to take a group shot, i'll just put it on auto. Sometimes, instructing them to press the shutter half way to focus is hard enough. :sweat:

wahahaha youre right 2evans!!their having hard time using the half press thing

Only used A and M modes, my dial nvr turned way beyond tht :bsmilie:

Never used auto mode before.None of my cameras ever had it except PnS. I guess if you are using auto mode, then might as well use PnS camera.

Mainly M mode, sometimes A mode, very rarely S mode, once in a blue moon P mode for others to use my camera.

I take the same time to adjust the exposure compensation for A as compared to the actual exposure for M... so I might as well use M. On top of finding M more intuitive, it also negates the need for switching from A to S... so, I'm on M most of the time.... except when on those rare occasions, I use the on-camera flash during broad daylight... then I switch to P. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.