Do rival manufacturers buy competitor's products and tear em apart for evaluation??


Status
Not open for further replies.

Darren

ClubSNAP Admin
Staff member
Jan 16, 2002
8,610
27
48
Melbourne
#3
Absolutely, positively, definitely Yes!.
 

Larry

Senior Member
Apr 25, 2002
5,499
0
0
45
singapore
www.larryloh.com
#5
Originally posted by 007
I wonder why 5700 and s602 look so alike...........:dunno:
someone probably hired the other side's product engineer... i won't speculate who, since that would in all likelihood start another flame war... :rbounce: :D
 

ninelives

Senior Member
Jan 16, 2002
3,249
3
38
BB
ninelives.clubsnap.org
#10
nikon : hello , is this canon service center?
canon : yes, how may i help you?
Nikon : I'm from Nikon, you see. We wish to rip open one of your model for testing purposes, i wondering if you can loan us a set?
canon : click ................
 

mervlam

Senior Member
Apr 26, 2002
2,279
0
0
Visit site
#11
Originally posted by ninelives
nikon : hello , is this canon service center?
canon : yes, how may i help you?
Nikon : I'm from Nikon, you see. We wish to rip open one of your model for testing purposes, i wondering if you can loan us a set?
canon : click ................
haha

actually u should approach sales and marketing
 

Apr 1, 2002
684
5
0
Visit site
#15
Originally posted by kongg
I think they do!!!Do u all???

from what i know from a friend who was working at adaptec, the company with send them rival company products and they will take it apart and see what works and try to make something better. that is their research and development.
 

Goondu

Senior Member
Jan 18, 2002
1,292
0
0
Singapore
Visit site
#16
Originally posted by renaissance_myth



from what i know from a friend who was working at adaptec, the company with send them rival company products and they will take it apart and see what works and try to make something better. that is their research and development.
Hmm, if you are talking about Nikon or Canon, I seriously doubt they will do reverse engineering. Both Nikon and Canon are too proud to do it anyway.

If you are talking about small timers, well it will be another story. ;)
 

Ian

Senior Member
Feb 20, 2002
2,548
0
0
56
Perth Australia
#17
It would be commercial suicide not to autopsy your rivals gear on a regular basis.
 

Knighthunter

Senior Member
Sep 13, 2002
958
0
16
44
Pigeon Hole in Mandalay
#19
Regarding the image stabilizer (IS/VR/OS) is not invented by Canon, that's why Canon doesn't have worldwide patent like when they invented USM powered lens. When Canon invented USM in 1986 it really kick Nikon out of water, Nikon catch up with it more than ten years later with AFS version lenses. The world wide patent expired after 10 years, we see first AFS lenses in 1998 or late 1997, if I am not wrong.
I read this in the website in US but I can't recall the address.
 

Ian

Senior Member
Feb 20, 2002
2,548
0
0
56
Perth Australia
#20
Originally posted by Knighthunter
Regarding the image stabilizer (IS/VR/OS) is not invented by Canon, that's why Canon doesn't have worldwide patent like when they invented USM powered lens. When Canon invented USM in 1986 it really kick Nikon out of water, Nikon catch up with it more than ten years later with AFS version lenses. The world wide patent expired after 10 years, we see first AFS lenses in 1998 or late 1997, if I am not wrong.
I read this in the website in US but I can't recall the address.
I'd love to know what website it was, because they don't know what they are talking about. Ultra Sonic motors, or more correctly Piezo Electric Effect Motors were NOT invented by Canon.

It should be noted that Canon did not develop piezo-electric motor technology, it merely adapted
it for camera use. The original patents are held by Shinsei Kogyo, a smallish Japanese manufacturer who holds the key patents for piezo-electric motors, issued in 1983 (from memory) and who had their technology
lifted (read stolen) by Canon etc though a peculiarity in the Japanese patent laws that allows other companies to copy the technology and apply it to a different field and apply for patent protection.

Nikon actually caught up in the AF speed race in 1992 after the release of the AF-I series of superteles with DC coreless motor drives. These lenses are as fast in AF as SWM/USM lenses when used in the field.
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom