Do Point & Shoot (P&S) need a Dry Box?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blu-By-U

Aug 2, 2006
Selangor D.E.
Given our climatic conditions here in the tropics, a Dry Box is considered a MUST for all the expensive dSLR and their lenses. What about those Point and Shoot? Do we need a dry box for these? Many of P&S shooters do not have a dry box and many just leave the camera in their drawer only to take them out when necessary. So :dunno: what's your take?

if the humidity levels of the place your store your P&S is high
and you don't want fungus then it is highly advisable

if you store your camera in a low humidity location (air-con room) then it is not a need

p&s don't really require dry box just maintain with a blower will do.

but from pro-consumer onwards better to keep in dry box cause i saw a spec of particle in my compact lens...and may have to bring it down to panasonic to get it clean...:bheart:

my 5 yrs old p&s still working fine and no fungus.

Last edited:
Hmm let's say you buy a dry box of 20L. And your pns takes up 5% of the space? Very wasted, unless you put your cds in, wine etc..

Actually I haven't heard of fungus in pns. Try to store in a dry cool area, like in a cupboard should be ok? How about the Hippo box?

who say pns dun need dry box one?????????

check back this thread in this forum after 1 yr then lets chat again do pns need a drybox..

my gf already lost 2 pns due to her not knowing abt an invention called the drybox..

pns also has lens, and naturally it will grow fungus if kept in conditions like our singapore weather..

and now with the drybox, she is happyily keeping and using her third cam for years.

I have a three year old P&S that wasn't kept in a dry box. No fungus or anything.

Any way I think that since that P&S are mostly sealed with non interchangeable lenses I think dust and moisture is not a big problem. At least that was the case for me.

as long as the lense extends & retracts when zooming or powering on, its not sealed.:devil: as to needing a drybox, some thing best left for individual owner to decide.

nobody can stop me from leaving my cam in my carry-around bag 365days if i not getting drybox.

for a record, i have them in a drybox. my gears deserve better treatment. :cool:

yes highly recommend a dry box! just get a box and dump half the bottle of selica gel in don need to invest in a dry cabi at the moment

So how? 1 year later, we examine our P&S :D

Dry box or not? that is still the question.

So how? 1 year later, we examine our P&S :D

Dry box or not? that is still the question.

end of the day, the decision is yours to make. opinions have already been stated. when it comes to preferances, there is never a 100% yes or no. :cool:

if still cant decide, den not rushing to buy is an option at your disposal too...

Status
Not open for further replies.