Do people actually mind?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rapidmax

May 28, 2003
Visit site
Hello All,

I was just wondering how people react if you take their pics here. OK, three situations:

1) Take their pics while asking for permission
2) Take their pics without asking for permission
3) Take pics of their properties: cars, dogs, etc etc.

Do they mind? Will they come and scold you or shout at you?

Hmmm... I am not Singaporean, so I don't really know...:dunno:

Well, had an experience with one guy several years back:

I was working at Science Park 1 and one of our Bangladeshi cleaners asked me of I could take some pics of him outside the building. We also went to the neighbours (SISIR at the time) and he spotted a blue car hta he wanted to use as a background. He put his hand on the car and I took pics of him and the car. Then the owner came out of the building and got angry at us for taking a pic of his property (car) and for touching it......he demanded to have our IC's and so on......we didn't bulge........so pathetic! Showing off his powers as a Singaporean to us foreigners..........In other countries people don't really care whether you take pics of your car as a background, some are even proud! We were not spying or so on his car. I mean what can happen to his car?

Hong Sien

Hmm...

Had some encounters too...

I was taking some pictures of fabric hang outside an Indian stall at Chinatown, was 'shoo' off and told not to take any pictures, I apologies and left.

Was taking pictures of kids at a playground in sentosa.
Before taking pic of this indian kid, I did ask his granny whether i can take the shot, she said okie but the parents keep staring at me like I'm going to kidnap his kid.
While others were like, "Jiejie taking pic, ahboy smile!"

I'm not racist, but such occasions make me think otherwise and sometimes thinking that they are not too friendly after all.

1) So far, have asked for permission once for to take a lady's portrait, she declined without slapping me. No bad experience on that.

2) The last permission I asked was a thread in Street and Candids named "Kids and Ice-cream", I asked the mom before snapping her kids and she was like "Sure, go ahead". So no bad experience.

3) Once was snapping dogs at BG. The owner politely asked me to stop and not take pictures of their dogs, of course I obliged and stopped.

So far I think people normally won't mind people taking pictures of them, but are just camera shy. Even for myself when I walk into CP, I'd avoid all camera buyers testing the camera and is aiming at my direction (yes I'm no YDK but still just feel weird).

Some just don't want their photos to be taken by some unknown person, maybe they think we're taking for commercial usage. Some are just protective, they think when we snap their property, they think we're jealous of their 'babies'.

Well just keep shooting, stop when confronted. Nothing to it.

I think, generally for kids, if you ask, it's OK. Maybe 'cos their faces change and they will not look the same a few months or years later. Less risk of recognition.

For people, it depends. For instance, if a lady lets you take her picture....where will it end up?

Originally posted by hongsien

.... Then the owner came out of the building and got angry at us for taking a pic of his property (car) and for touching it......he demanded to have our IC's and so on......

I guess the touching part was not a good idea... Anyway, i think he overreacted..:)

Another question i always wanted to know: When we take pictures of people we do not know (be it on the streets, in the MRT, at a trade fair etc.) and then post the stuff on the net, is that a lawsuit waiting to happen? Is permission required by the person, before the photos are posted?

And if permission is granted to post the pictures, which is unfortunately leeched and presented in another sleazy website, can the person take any action against the original "poster"?

:)

As long as you are the one who took the photos yes, you may go after the person for misrepresenting your stuffs :)

Ok, what i meant is this. If i take a photo of Mr X, I then post his photo online, with his permission.

And some other dude comes along and leech the photo and post in a sleazy website, and make him look like Deuce Bigolow, can Mr X sue me? After all, he claims i did not make a reasonable attempt to protect his interests.

Originally posted by fruitybix
Ok, what i meant is this. If i take a photo of Mr X, I then post his photo online, with his permission.

Another question...
If i take a photo of Mr X, with his permission at the time the photo was taken (but did not touch on the web posting element), and then i post his photo online without re-asking...can Mr X sue me?

had a experience wif babes on e beach...

i told them i needed some lesuire by e beach pics for my project.. and hope they would pose for mi

LOL

tts it.. i gotta shoot from head to toe

I was working at Science Park 1 and one of our Bangladeshi cleaners asked me of I could take some pics of him outside the building. We also went to the neighbours (SISIR at the time) and he spotted a blue car hta he wanted to use as a background. He put his hand on the car and I took pics of him and the car. Then the owner came out of the building and got angry at us for taking a pic of his property (car) and for touching it......he demanded to have our IC's and so on......we didn't bulge........so pathetic! Showing off his powers as a Singaporean to us foreigners..........In other countries people don't really care whether you take pics of your car as a background, some are even proud! We were not spying or so on his car. I mean what can happen to his car?

Hong Sien

He has NO right to demand for your I/C passport unless he shows proof that he is of authority to do so. He can scream and shout but that just goes to show how small he is.

I was too took a picture of a taxi whipping by and he got off and ask what the 'heck we were doing', i just whisked him off in a diplomatic tone.

For HongSien's case. If a superior-complexed sillyporean demands your IC you can always ask for his or hers in exchange. Anyone whether authority or not is obliged to show identity for demanding your IC. No two ways about it.

Hong Sien

Aiya bro if its some jap racequeen posing with his car i dun tink he'll make a big fuss.. some people are .. haiz.. nothing to say la

Originally posted by Jer76
Aiya bro if its some jap racequeen posing with his car i dun tink he'll make a big fuss.. some people are .. haiz.. nothing to say la

hahaha :bsmilie:

Originally posted by RuthBaby
had a experience wif babes on e beach...

i told them i needed some lesuire by e beach pics for my project.. and hope they would pose for mi

LOL

tts it.. i gotta shoot from head to toe

That's bad of you! naughty boy! You are spoiling it now for all of us paparazzi's!!!! ;) Everybody on the beach now, are getting shy......all because of you....btw: is there a beach in Singapore?

Hong Sien

That's bad of you! naughty boy! You are spoiling it now for all of us paparazzi's!!!! ;) Everybody on the beach now, are getting shy......all because of you....btw: is there a beach in Singapore?

Hong Sien

Of cos Singapore got beaches...very dirty ones as well :bsmilie:

Well I'll be down with frens to Sentosa beach to snap snap snap at those bikini babes and muscular hunks

yippeeee :rbounce:

Status
Not open for further replies.