do not try this at home

Status
Not open for further replies.

HelmetBox

Sep 9, 2003
Thot I would share:

Jus got myself a used 50mm 1.8 MK2. Its cheap but the condition's not fantastic, lots of hair and dust inside so I decided to get it cleaned up.

Wasn't feasible using a blower nor was it cost effective to send it for servicing. Thus I attempted to dismantle the bugger! Since in theory, if dust can go in, means they can come out.

Below are some shots of the process and parts. (Urr, they're a little blur since I had to try to take the picture with a non macro lens while holding the parts) It's fairly simple but I won't advise anyone do it unless you're absolutely sure you know what you're doing. I didn't, but then my hands are always itching to take things apart :D

Don't come looking for me if you screw up! :bsmilie:

holder2a.jpg

opena.jpg

open2a.jpg

open3a.jpg

open5a.jpg

rear_lensa.jpg

rear_lens_3a.jpg

I read on the net that fungas can be removed. So if anyone out there has any canon lens that have been invaded by fungas and just sitting there waiting to rot, can always donate to me let me try to clean them up :D

Oh, you do win some and lose some, I destroyed my USM 28-105mm. Apparently USM more complicated due to circuitry. The dismantling is the same but then the circuitry complicates stuff....... Will try to revive her soon when I have the time :D

Cheers!

BTW: the 50mm lens is now dust free! seriously clean. But then exterior like @!$#%. Anyway, its worth the amt paid. :D

Oh, and anyone out there has the 'Canon lens work' book? Can be nice enough to allow me to browse through? hehe.......

Hie...

Just be careful and adhere to ESD (static discharge) rules.....while doing this as your static discharge build up ...may kill or weaken the chip.

Just be careful.....treat this like any other electronics equipment....

rgds,
me

sulhan said:
Hie...

Just be careful and adhere to ESD (static discharge) rules.....while doing this as your static discharge build up ...may kill or weaken the chip.

Just be careful.....treat this like any other electronics equipment....

rgds,
me

hehehe.... this is when your poly engineering education finally pays off! :bsmilie:

Stick to cheap 2nd hand lens to minimise damage to the wallet when the experiment goes awry! :D

TME said:
Stick to cheap 2nd hand lens to minimise damage to the wallet when the experiment goes awry! :D

Hehehe....... I'm already sticking to second hand things in the first place. Haven't been in good terms with my wallet since the day I decided to take up photography as a hobby! :bsmilie:

cheers cheers!

hahah...

I have been doing that too......gained confident after i fixed my uncles pentax spotmatic manual camera. Shutter stuck due to prism holder spring got jammed inside. Took apart the whole thing fixed the problem..and got it working again!!!!

rgds,
me

sulhan said:
hahah...

I have been doing that too......gained confident after i fixed my uncles pentax spotmatic manual camera. Shutter stuck due to prism holder spring got jammed inside. Took apart the whole thing fixed the problem..and got it working again!!!!

rgds,
me

:bigeyes: wow....... Maybe I should venture into that as a next project in my freetime? :D Oh I forgot, no FREE TIME! :bsmilie:

I think people should post more 'walkthroughs' of equipment tweaking and fixing on the net. More DIY stuff. Sometimes the solution's simple but then because we do not have the little knowledge needed to solve it, those technical workshops and service centres earn a fortune. But then again, do yourself no garuntee, miscue and you HAVE to live with it :bsmilie:

Oh BTW, I like the DIY bounce card of yours! hehe.... have been doing a little searching :D

HelmetBox said:
:
Oh BTW, I like the DIY bounce card of yours! hehe.... have been doing a little searching :D

Yeah I have using one from a friend who bought it from Sulhan.... it's pretty good (no hotspots) but I get slightly underexposed shots..... why? Should I up my flash exposure?? Like +0.5 to +1 stop for the flash?

Status
Not open for further replies.