Do new Singaporeans know how to sing the National Anthem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heh, I would question whether born and bred Singaporeans can sing it (properly, not the 'yayat Singapura' and the 'no difference between bersatu and berseru' versions) and know the meaning.

www.sg on the National Anthem.

English translation.

I'll be honest. My Bahasa was hardly enough to get me through school, and I still have trouble explaining berseru.

Heh, I would question whether born and bred Singaporeans can sing it (properly, not the 'yayat Singapura' and the 'no difference between bersatu and berseru' versions) and know the meaning.

www.sg on the National Anthem.

English translation.

I'll be honest. My Bahasa was hardly enough to get me through school, and I still have trouble explaining berseru.

Isn't there an english translation available?

Here's a wiki one with a line by line correspondence.. Scroll down for the lyrics...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Majulah_Singapura

Just wondering.....

How about mandatory auditions on TV? The New Singapore Idol show?

Your question actually comprises several sub-questions:

1) Do they know the tune?
2) Do they know the lyrics?
3) Do they understand the lyrics?
4) Can they sing well?

From my observations, even "old" Singaporeans don't do well on points 2...4. Some are not even aware what their National Language is.

never know what the words means.

but aleast, luckily the pledge is in english. but cant remember the chinese version.

Well I sing it on every weekday as long as school is on but then again, does knowing how to sing national anthem make us any more patriotic than those who don't? That's the question ...

Well I sing it on every weekday as long as school is on but then again, does knowing how to sing national anthem make us any more patriotic than those who don't? That's the question ...

or, why would a patriotic person not know how to sing the national anthem?

i think the question is,

although our national's language, hence the malay national anthem.

but with about 75% of the population did understand malay, but i guess over 90% understand english, wouldnt it be better to have a english national anthem?

i guess that all national anthems are sung in the national language. unless SG changes the national language to English, Majulah Singapura it is.

knowing how to sing but don't know its meaning... i don't see the point in singing at all.

i think the question is,

but with about 75% of the population did understand malay, but i guess over 90% understand english, wouldnt it be better to have a english national anthem?

It's for heritage and identity, rather than pragmatic reasons.

i think the question is,

Which is why some schools are offering a 3rd language option.

But the strange thing is, despite being surrounded by Malaysia, Indonesia, the more popular choice for students picking 3rd languages seem to be more exotic languages like Spanish, Japanese, Korean, French over Malay and Bahasa Indonesia.

Shi Ye Bu Fen Zong Zu.

Wo men shi xin jia po gong ming... bu feng something something.... :embrass:

Am I right to "guess" that 99.5% of Singaporeans are unable to sing the National Anthem (Mari-kita.....) correctly, with only a few minor mistakes? :think:

nope i dun tink so, cos u see, even for the SEA games, some FT with 2 name de, can nt even syn the song wif her lips

how many of you here know who the perm sect of mcds is?

or what mcds even stands for?

how many of you are singaporeans?

teehee hurhur what a slap in the face this must seem

Status
Not open for further replies.