Do ND filters deteriorate over time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yatlapball

May 13, 2006
Volcano Land
www.emotively.com
Sorry if the question sounds a little odd. I recently dug out my Hoya NDX8 from hibernating in the drycabinet and noticed that it gave a very strange green cast, something which I did not notice when I used it in the past. What gives? Did I just remember wrongly, or has anyone else faced a similar problem. ND filters ought to be well... as its name implies neutral no? :dunno:

it kind of reminds me of lousy solar films that people fit on cars and it slowly changes colour over the years as it is exposed to the sun.

Hoya ND filters DO have a green cast. I remember hearing that only the expensive NDs like those from Lee and Singh Ray are truly neutral. Dunno true or not. My Cokin NDs seem to have a magenta cast. Zzz..

Ok thanks :) I must have remembered wrongly then. Or did not notice it because I got it very early on when I just started out in photography (which is not very long. heh. 1+ year), and never really used it since then.

Guess I'd just custom an action in PS to correct the colour cast for all my shots with the ND8 fitted.

Status
Not open for further replies.