Do i need uwa lens for jzg trip

fxsg123

Nov 8, 2014
@singapore
Hi, simple qns. Currently i own a a sony a6k with standard 1855 kit lens.

Im going to jzg grp tour and looking for a better len. Im a casual user and becos jzg is more on scenery, i looking one for landscape but dunno whether i need uwa?

Im looking at sel1670, sel1018 and sel18105?

No you don't need. 18mm is wide enough for many scenes. UWA needs additional skills in composition. Up to you what your focus is.
You need a better lens once you can tell apart pictures taken by different lenses and you can point out the flaws in your current lens.
What you might need is proper typing habits so that people can read your postings.

Second the recommendation on 18 mm.if really need wider you can stich it up
Enjoy your jzg trip

I Google jzg it shows Jacksonville Zoo and Gardens (Florida).

Buy a ultra wide angle lens just for a zoo trip?

Learn something new today.

I Google jzg it shows Jacksonville Zoo and Gardens (Florida). Buy a ultra wide angle lens just for a zoo trip? Learn something new today.

I think jzg means juizhaigou? :)

Oh.. sorry i assume, my bad.
Ya, i mean jiuzhaigou.

Might wanna consider doing yourself a favor and getting a CPL for it.
:)

Hi, simple qns. Currently i own a a sony a6k with standard 1855 kit lens.

Im going to jzg grp tour and looking for a better len. Im a casual user and becos jzg is more on scenery, i looking one for landscape but dunno whether i need uwa?

Im looking at sel1670, sel1018 and sel18105?

Agreeing with others you will need some knowledge about the different focal lengths to use each effectively. Using ultra-wide angle lens without care in composition will just make everything look small.

Of course if you have the budget just go ahead and get the SEL 10-18mm, then learn how to use it effectively (sometimes if you don't try you will never know right?) The others you listed are not really ultra-wide angle lens and for a big part overlap with what your kit lens can do.

Do note of there are some problems with using a circular polariser (CPL) on ultra-wide angle lenses.

If you think there's too much to read up then no worries, most importantly enjoy your trip :)

18mm (apsc) on the widest end for a large place like JZG should be fine.

Wider and because the subjects may already be a distance away, they will become more 'pushed away' in perspective.
You will have to learn how to compose with a UWA if you want to utilize it well.

Not hard, just need some readup/look at how ppl use it and practice.
So depends on what you want.

Edit :
Here is an example of what I mean about perspective distortion.

12mm

Path of the Sapling by jenkwang, on Flickr

and almost the same spot with 24mm (equivalent to the 18mm on apsc)

DSC04515 by jenkwang, on Flickr

The 12mm exaggerates the perspective, providing a sweep from the ground to the distance away.
It also pushes the elements in the distance further (ie. the house and the tree)

The 24mm is more 'natural' in its perspective relationship of the elements.
Less exaggerated too of course with less 'sweep' of the the view.

Last edited:
Im practicing alot with kit lens in my neighborhood park to simulate juizhaigou (i know it's different). I guess the best pictures to me are those shoot at the widest end, 18mm. I also capture people happen to be around and find the opposite end to be the best, if not those people become part of the picture rather than the picture.

Btw, pinholecam, if you dont list the different, i really can't spot the weakest, haha.

Im practicing alot with kit lens in my neighborhood park to simulate juizhaigou (i know it's different). I guess the best pictures to me are those shoot at the widest end, 18mm. I also capture people happen to be around and find the opposite end to be the best, if not those people become part of the picture rather than the picture.

Btw, pinholecam, if you dont list the different, i really can't spot the weakest, haha.

If you are going on the usual guided tour, be prepared to shoot fast on paths crowded and filled with typical Chinese tourists. Everyone is restricted to moving on the paths so you can't exactly walk freely around when composing.

So. With your kit lens. Do you think the 18mm is wide enough for you? Are you satisfy with 18mm or you want wider. If you wish to go wider and you can afford to pay..then go get 1 or rent 1.

To the question do I need "specific lens" for " xxxxx place ". Well. It depends what kind of shots you're looking for.
There is no must have lens for certain place. ( Unless..you're being paid/that's what the client demands.. Not the case for this thread)

It's good to know what you're getting, how to use it so it could benefit/achieve what you want. You can afford it comfortably and you are happy end of the day. Especially if it's a hobby and not your bread & butter.

IMO Hobby should be something that relaxes you and make you feel good. If it become something you're frowning upon then I dont see the point..

Last edited: