Do I need to increase my cpu power?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Falcon

Jan 18, 2002
Hi

I got a non-photography related qn to ask. Will the shortage of cpu power cause the computer to freeze? If so, I am planning to change the cpu power while waiting for my crashed harddisk to be replaced. How much and which brand is good? Is it difficult to change?

Thank you.

Adding more memories is better than changing to a higher speed processor IMHO.

Originally posted by Falcon
Hi

I got a non-photography related qn to ask. Will the shortage of cpu power cause the computer to freeze?

When you say freeze do you mean hang(crash) or simply the cpu not responding due to 100% utilization?

If the CPU if fully utilized, the only way to improve the situation is to overclock or change to a faster processor such that the lag/Cpu processing time is shorter.

Increasing the memory helps only when you notice that there is constant thrashing of the Harddisk which is a sign that there is insufficient memory and that the computer has to write, retrieve information from HDD in chunks.

Image processing requires both ram and cpu speed, look at where the source of the lag occurs. If there is intensive HDD activity, upgrade your memory first.

However, increasing the CPU speed will always improve the processing time.

Originally posted by Zerstorer

When you say freeze do you mean hang(crash) or simply the cpu not responding due to 100% utilization?

If the CPU if fully utilized, the only way to improve the situation is to overclock or change to a faster processor such that the lag/Cpu processing time is shorter.

Increasing the memory helps only when you notice that there is constant thrashing of the Harddisk which is a sign that there is insufficient memory and that the computer has to write, retrieve information from HDD in chunks.

Image processing requires both ram and cpu speed, look at where the source of the lag occurs. If there is intensive HDD activity, upgrade your memory first.

However, increasing the CPU speed will always improve the processing time.

If it hangs, then it could be many factors:

Instable RAM
Instable power supply (too little perhaps?)
Instable board..

So many factors!
Post your full system specs here.... so that we can actually diagnose the problem.

There's a few reasons why PC's freeze / lock up.

1) Non Parity RAM is being used.
This is one common causes of freezing when a memory allocation error occurs, non parity checked ram just spits the dummy and locks the PC.

2) Insufficient Low Area memory.
Most versions of Winsludge are completely crap at memoory management and use a flat memory management model. It doesn't matter how much RAM you have but if you run out of the original 640K base RAM you're screwed. If this happens ditch a few dozen fonts and other useless things that clutter the low memory area.

3) Crap Hardware
A very common problem, cheap motherboards can be good, but most are really awful. Cheap chipsets are just as bad.

4) Poor software programming.
Need I say more? a lot of software is very badly written and can cause multiple instances in memory as well as iteration loops and other lovely problems.

My suggestion is to try a memory manager like Mem Turbo or similar first and see if that solves the freezing. If it doesn't then start looking at hardware and operating system related problems.

best if put more ram !!!! if you do photo editing...needs alot of ram for fast loading...
a fast CPU to render all the effects....

Originally posted by SNAG

If it hangs, then it could be many factors:

i agree with the above statement. anything under the sun can cause the system to hang.;) so why dun you post ur system specs as snag mentioned and give us the exact symtom of the problem? like where does it hang at? or what do you do that will cause it to hang?

Some programs to help you manage your memory (I use them, and they are good!)

Cacheman
Tweak XP (I'm using XP)
... I'll post more as I go along.

Try not to use the win9x kernel, it really stinks.
You can either change to Win2k, or WinXP...

think i might be having same prob. i always get "system dangerously low on resources"

i'm using p4 1.3ghz on a windows ME

Thanks for all the helpful replies. When I mean the computer freezes is that it simply hang and can't move mouse cursor at all and that pressing ctrl+alt+del has no effect. Through observation, I find that it usually hangs after playing my audio cd and switching on my speaker for some time and after burning my cd. This is why I suspect it could be due to the power supply.

Here are some of my specs:
Elitegroup motherboard
kingston 256 mb ram
Amd thunderbird 1gig processor
Sound card inbuilt in motherboard
sony cdrw
acer cdrom
Western digital 40gig harddisk(crashed)

I seldom play games.. Only use it to surf net, photo edit and listen to mp3 or cds.

And one more thing, I am using Win 98.
Thank you.

Thanks for all the helpful replies. When I mean the computer freezes is that it simply hang and can't move mouse cursor at all and that pressing ctrl+alt+del has no effect. Through observation, I find that it usually hangs after playing my audio cd and switching on my speaker for some time and after burning my cd. This is why I suspect it could be due to the power supply.

Here are some of my specs:
Elitegroup motherboard
kingston 256 mb ram
Amd thunderbird 1gig processor
Sound card inbuilt in motherboard
sony cdrw
acer cdrom
Western digital 40gig harddisk(crashed)

I seldom play games.. Only use it to surf net, photo edit and listen to mp3 or cds.

Inadequate PS could be a cause but such freezes can also be caused by memory problems or IRQ conflicts.

For a start you could just replace the power supply with a good 300+ watter from HEC or Enermax which should cost about $90. You can use if for any future PC so it's a worthwhile investment.

Inadequate PS could be a cause but such freezes can also be caused by memory problems or IRQ conflicts.

For a start you could just replace the power supply with a good 300+ watter from HEC or Enermax which should cost about $90. You can use if for any future PC so it's a worthwhile investment.

Is there a cheaper and reliable alternative? :)

And one more thing, I am using Win 98.
Thank you.

Try switching over to Win2K or WinXP when you have the opportunity. The Win98 kernel is fraught with memory leak problems and other issues. Also, an error in one process usually brings down the entire OS.

With Win2k/WinXP, any error that occurs will only bring down the process related to it. All other programs will carry on running.

It is much easier to debug issues with Win2k/WinXP as many of the OS related problems are eliminated. Hence there are less factors involved.

Is there a cheaper and reliable alternative? :)

Well you could try ChannelWell, but I won't recommend going any cheaper if you want a reliable powersupply. Most cheaper ones do not perform to their specs, hence a $40 "300watter" might be no better than a 250w in another computer.

What is the current PS in your computer? Check the ratings for the +12 +5 and +3.3 volt rails.

At the very least try to get a PS that has current ratings that exceed those on your current PS.

Well you could try ChannelWell, but I won't recommend going any cheaper if you want a reliable powersupply. Most cheaper ones do not perform to their specs, hence a $40 "300watter" might be no better than a 250w in another computer.

What is the current PS in your computer? Check the ratings for the +12 +5 and +3.3 volt rails.

At the very least try to get a PS that has current ratings that exceed those on your current PS.

I am not too sure abt the current PS. Will check that out later and have it posted here. Tks.

Try switching over to Win2K or WinXP when you have the opportunity. The Win98 kernel is fraught with memory leak problems and other issues. Also, an error in one process usually brings down the entire OS.

With Win2k/WinXP, any error that occurs will only bring down the process related to it. All other programs will carry on running.

It is much easier to debug issues with Win2k/WinXP as many of the OS related problems are eliminated. Hence there are less factors involved.

Erm.. I am thinking of switching OS too but I am afraid that it will slow down my computer. I am not sure whether my current configuration is suitable. Will winXp take up more resources?

Hi

I'm using a PIII 1000MHz only...same as yours. I think it could be due to your power supply as AMD will need a higher Watts Power Supply.

My System is using Win ME and it works perfectly well and fine. As for XP, I used it for less than a month and it's not good and does not work with my film scanner. Maybe you should add a bit of RAM as 256MB is a little too low for graphics editing.

There are too many reasons to your problem and i think there's not need to have a change of anything other things other than the PS or the RAM. Try out and see how first.

Originally posted by Encino
Hi

I'm using a PIII 1000MHz only...same as yours. I think it could be due to your power supply as AMD will need a higher Watts Power Supply.

My System is using Win ME and it works perfectly well and fine. As for XP, I used it for less than a month and it's not good and does not work with my film scanner. Maybe you should add a bit of RAM as 256MB is a little too low for graphics editing.

There are too many reasons to your problem and i think there's not need to have a change of anything other things other than the PS or the RAM. Try out and see how first.

May I know what is your PS?

Status
Not open for further replies.