Do i need to get my com calibrated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

danlin

Feb 17, 2006
I went to print 8r size photos at a neighbourhd lab but it turned out really bad, very dark etc. I'm wondering if its a must to get a calibration gadget? but it seems expensive.. im using mac ibook G4. i think it doesnt matter wad system we use rite? newbie here, so help needed urgently! thnks

danlin said:
I went to print 8r size photos at a neighbourhd lab but it turned out really bad, very dark etc. I'm wondering if its a must to get a calibration gadget? but it seems expensive.. im using mac ibook G4. i think it doesnt matter wad system we use rite? newbie here, so help needed urgently! thnks

It's NEVER a must.Majority of people do without it anyway.
But if your photos are more than occasionally snap shots or if you're keen on photography than perhaps can 'consider'..

Otherwise, cheap method will be to 'counter-adjust'.
1. In PS, lower the brightness until it looks like your printout.eg, -30
2. So you then cancel that, and instead add +30 brightness to your image.
3. It'll look too bright, but then should print fine.
(But provided theres no changes on their side.)

get someone who has the equipment to do it for you...won't have to buy the equipment and if you don't need it critically accurate, you don't have to profile the monitor very often :)

Best, do your own printing with a inkjet for consistency. I never liked lab prints from those neighbourhood ones, they destroy the exposure and dynamic range of the pic. Epson 2100 and Canon S9000 > labs

thnks!:)

there are at least a few factors involved here, and any of them will affect the way colour turns out from your print

your monitor - since you make your colour judgments and correction based on what you see on it

the lab operator - he could be adding his own adjustments. say his monitor is poorly adjusted? or have no colour sense at all?

My guess is that the lab machine didn't get calibrated properly.

Go and use the reputable printer and ask them to print "as is" from you computer... if the picture don't look as vibrant, it is normal, but it should be as bright and colour should correct.

You can't compare your monitor and print with colour vividness as our screen is based on RGB and print is based on CMYK colour. Get pretty close but not 100% correct.

You can do adobe calibration from you Mac which is good enough for most intend and purposes... but if you have the $$$ or you want to have accurate screen, get it calibrate of buy one of those spyder thingy or the eye1 from Gretag Macbeth.

I calibrate my screens once a month and I use 1 lab to print my stuff so I get consistency through out most of my prints.

Good luck.

Regards,

Hart

here's one for you SuperCal

(posted it also on the other thread, in case you haven't notice)

Status
Not open for further replies.