do i need to get a ring flash to get a better macro shot?

shrekguy

Dec 21, 2010
singapore
www.flickr.com
hi , i like to know what kind of flash to get , so that i can shot a better macro pic when that lost of light.

hi , i like to know what kind of flash to get , so that i can shot a better macro pic when that lost of light.

Hi Bro which system are you using?

If you are using Canon you can get the MT 24, it call a twin flash. other option you can get the 270 Ex, i reckon it good for macro shooting

Sigma_150mm_with_Canon_MT_24-EX.jpg

canon-270-ex.jpg

If you are using Nikon you can get R1C1 or SB 400

nikonsb400.jpg

FlashNikonR1c1.jpg

Where to buy the MT24 for canon?any idea how much? Also I need to buy 2pcs of 270ex got it right???

Where to buy the MT24 for canon?any idea how much? Also I need to buy 2pcs of 270ex got it right???

MT 24 is twin flash come together with it. 1.2k plus you can check with Canon or local shop
the 270 Ex is a single flash for simple setup. you can mob it to be twin flash it take alot of DiY

No need ring flash, twin flash or single off shoe flash that is well diffused will work just as well. depends on your needs.

Note that a dedicated macro twin flash is very expensive and suited for macro, not suited for far ranged subjects.

loboclerk said:
No need ring flash, twin flash or single off shoe flash that is well diffused will work just as well. depends on your needs.

Note that a dedicated macro twin flash is very expensive and suited for macro, not suited for far ranged subjects.

Then what kind of flash do I need ?

Agree with Nicky on this (although I only use the MT24EXII for macro). As lighting in macro photography is very challenging, you need to play around with your existing flash units and diffusers to see what suits you best.

If budget is not an issue at all, MT24EX for you. Simple DIY diffusers can get you good results with this pair.

Too many factors, there is no perfect answer for you.

What lens you use, what subjects you want to shoot, what magnification you want, what weight you are willing to carry, handheld or tripod, etc etc. All these can point to a different flash system altogether.

My 2 cents.

If you are experience macro shooter, you would have know what you need. But if you a new to macro, suggest go out and shoot first before acquiring expensive equipment.

There are different school of thought on macro. Not all believe in using full flash, some believe in ambient light and use flash as fill light only.

MT 24 is twin flash come together with it. 1.2k plus you can check with Canon or local shop
the 270 Ex is a single flash for simple setup. you can mob it to be twin flash it take alot of DiY

:hammer::hammer: He's a Nikon user:bsmilie:
Best light is a torch-light & a reflector, it won't hurt or scare the insect & is natural light

jameskkmok said:
:hammer::hammer: He's a Nikon user:bsmilie:
Best light is a torch-light & a reflector, it won't hurt or scare the insect & is natural light

Thx everyone for help

Hi TS,
I suggest you use your pop up flash (if you have one in your camera body). This internal flash and a DIY diffuser (place on top/front of yr macro lens) should be enough to get decent macro photos.

We refer this setup as "simple setup" and some macro shooters who owns expensive twin flashes (Canon or Nikon) for macros shoot also sometime switch to this simple setup to take photos.