Do i need to get a flash?

babytweety

Jul 9, 2003
SPORE
Visit site
Hi, currently saving up to buy a good lens for most indoor shoot. Meanwhile, I have been reading here and there and was thinking, should I buy a flash. The in-camera flash is too bright! I have Sb700 in mind. Fyi, I sometime take photos of my kids at home.

Hi, currently saving up to buy a good lens for most indoor shoot. Meanwhile, I have been reading here and there and was thinking, should I buy a flash. The in-camera flash is too bright! I have Sb700 in mind. Fyi, I sometime take photos of my kids at home.

It's because of the direct flash from the pop up flash that makes the subject damn harsh. Been using a sb700 myself and pretty pleased with it. But do note it's rather heavy and not something you will mount indefinitely.. but rather a SB-400 will do the same job for a lower price to bounce flash. However, SB-700 is more versatile for outdoor shoots and provide more power. So i guess it boils down to urself.. i'd say if u have the budget go ahead with the 700.. Cheers :)

babytweety said:

Hi. You can consider renting a day to experience the difference an external flash can make :)

@tecnoglitz: SB400 could not rotate, thats why I more to SB700 how heavy is heavy? Will definitely not be using it for long period of time..

@Tucksoon: will consider. Txs.

@tecnoglitz: SB400 could not rotate, thats why I more to SB700 how heavy is heavy? Will definitely not be using it for long period of time..

@Tucksoon: will consider. Txs.

SB400 only allows you to bounce towards ceiling if camera is in landscape orientation. It's nice and compact, so there are some benefits to getting it :)
SB700 obviously more feature-packed. Price is ok for you?

If yes, then you will enjoy using it.

The same topic for all flashes: you need to learn to manage the flash power (Flash Exposure Compensation) and balance against the ambient light (ISO, shutter speed). Also, cameras have different metering approaches when using flash: either meter for flash as main light (ignoring ambient light), or metering for ambient light with flash as fill flash for the foreground / main subject.
Shooting your kids (assuming running around) also brings up the idea of 2nd curtain flash and dragging shutter :)

Have you used FEC to power down the flash output in camera?

or you could just get one of those plastic diffusers for about $10 that sticks to the hotshoe.

ZerocoolAstra said:
SB400 only allows you to bounce towards ceiling if camera is in landscape orientation. It's nice and compact, so there are some benefits to getting it :)
SB700 obviously more feature-packed. Price is ok for you?

If yes, then you will enjoy using it.

Just realised that SB400 can also rotate! 

Octarine said:
The same topic for all flashes: you need to learn to manage the flash power (Flash Exposure Compensation) and balance against the ambient light (ISO, shutter speed). Also, cameras have different metering approaches when using flash: either meter for flash as main light (ignoring ambient light), or metering for ambient light with flash as fill flash for the foreground / main subject.
Shooting your kids (assuming running around) also brings up the idea of 2nd curtain flash and dragging shutter :)

I'm still a newbie. Still reading up everywhere..

Reportage said:
Have you used FEC to power down the flash output in camera?

or you could just get one of those plastic diffusers for about $10 that sticks to the hotshoe.

I saw those flash output in the menu but have yet to try. Is the diffusers good enuff?
How about if I want to shoot outdoor at night?

Just realised that SB400 can also rotate! 

SB400 can rotate upwards only... but cannot do this
promaster-flash-bounce-reflector-portrait-orientation.jpg

Do some research online.. check out brand like Nissin, Yongnuo and many other brand... non original brand can be good as well..:)

They are also cheaper.. with more function.. to me personally good enough for beginner like me..:) personally i find nissin 622 mk II is good enough...

Hope it help...:)

Yes, you need flash.
Picture-1-2.jpg

lol. you've just made my day.

@ babytweety: you should invest in a flash. Flash can light up shaded area when use for portraits, and make the photo look much nicer. the ability to create/control light as you choose, It is something lens can't do. I am getting my 1st flash soon for the same reason.

I suggest you look up some you tube video on lighting portraits with a single flash video.

I saw those flash output in the menu but have yet to try. Is the diffusers good enuff?
How about if I want to shoot outdoor at night?

Flash photography is not something that can be picked up in a short time. Will require lots of reading and practice.
A common mistake that newbies make is to think that simply using a diffuser will somehow 'diffuse' (i.e. 'soften') the light in all situations.

The explanation is rather long, and neither am I an expert in this area. Best to read some books and/or watch some YouTube instructional videos.

One thing to note about shooting outdoor at night is that the main light source will be the flash. Angling it upwards will be useless as there is no ceiling to bounce the light against. You'll have to balance the flash exposure against the background/ambient, and this is not so simple.

Do some research online.. check out brand like Nissin, Yongnuo and many other brand... non original brand can be good as well..:)

They are also cheaper.. with more function.. to me personally good enough for beginner like me..:) personally i find nissin 622 mk II is good enough...

Hope it help...:)
'

Hope you also realize that 3rd party flashes also misses some functionality like BL mode, which in my opinion is one of the most advanced features of Nikon flashes.

'

Hope you also realize that 3rd party flashes also misses some functionality like BL mode, which in my opinion is one of the most advanced features of Nikon flashes.

Thanks for the reminder.. You enlighten me before in one of the thread... BL mode is really useful.. but budget is there what to do... hahaha... To TS do Take note 3rd party flashes misses some functionality like BL mode!!! :)

This is what daredevil123 have enlighten me...:)

[vid]pfONFdXhO8o[/vid]

[vid]he35-IRSd2c[/vid]

Hope it help the TS....:)

A flash can do wonders to your pictures, if used correctly.