Do I need to check in tripod?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wasabi8888

Oct 22, 2006
HI all

Not sure whether this is the right place to post this.

I am going to Korea soon and intend to bring my tripod there. It's a Gitzo and rather long.

Will be taking SQ there and take an internal flight to Jeju island.

Do I need to check in the tripod or could I hand carry all the way.

Thanks in advance

Jeff

you have to check in. why hand carry? so troublesome.

you have to check in. why hand carry? so troublesome.

From some other bros that PMed me, I do not need to check in. WHy do I handcarry cos tripod too long for the suitcase that I want to bring to Korea. I do not want to bring a huge suitcase just for the tripod.

Can someone re-confirm?

From some other bros that PMed me, I do not need to check in. WHy do I handcarry cos tripod too long for the suitcase that I want to bring to Korea. I do not want to bring a huge suitcase just for the tripod.

Can someone re-confirm?

check in with the flight steward or stewardess before going to your seat, and get it from them later.

and well it depends on the size of your tripod, most is not able to put on the overhead luggage compartment, and neither in the leg area.

Not sure if you need to check in when u go there but most probably u need to check in when u come back. Becoz I bought an umbrella there and need to check in, cannot hand carry..

Better ask airline staff upon check-in or give them a call, because regulations vary from country to country.

I personally had trouble when flying to Australia few months back. Changi airport security didn't object when I hand carried a small G1127 tripod into a cabin. The flight was bound to Melbourne with a short stop in Adelaide (the same aircraft). In Adelaide, all passengers had to disembark and then board the plane again 20 minutes later. However, after disembarkation, when passing through a transit zone, Adelaide airport security refused to let the tripod back on board. It had to be passed to an airline staff who promised to check it in. Luckily, G1127 was not lost that day.

it can be a potential weapon. check it in.

Here's what I did, I remove the tripod head, laid the tripod on top of my clothes, diagonally across the luggage bag. Able to fit well. My luggage bag is those commonly seen Polo bags, mid-size. Tripod size is like a Manfrotto 190DB.

i have flown a few times with my tripod as carry on luggage
no problem
but like they say, it depends, check first

Status
Not open for further replies.