Do I need to attend classes ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hishame

Hi,
I love taking pictures with my camera ; how ever I never took photography to the level of proficiency . I’m now really interested in getting more in depth in photography. Should I just rely on books and trial and error or a series of classes would help? I received a good deal for 30 classes at the New York Institute of Photography but I still would prefer not spend a lot of money if I can do it by myself. What do you guys think?

Thanks for you help
:)

hi...
personally i feel that learning thru trial and error and experience is the most effective since you dun want to spend much money on the course. i also read up a lot on photography and join the clubsnap'ers for photoshoot to expand my knowledge and also apply wat i've learnt. can get some guidance from some of de pros in here....for e.g. megaweb in macro shoot. so do join us for photoshoots in future...:D

erwinx has also shared an interesting article which is related to your question :)

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=983&highlight=class

Originally posted by hishame
Hi,
I love taking pictures with my camera ; how ever I never took photography to the level of proficiency . I’m now really interested in getting more in depth in photography. Should I just rely on books and trial and error or a series of classes would help? I received a good deal for 30 classes at the New York Institute of Photography but I still would prefer not spend a lot of money if I can do it by myself. What do you guys think?

Thanks for you help

Quantify "a lot of money" so that we can help you.

Some say buying a DSLR now is cheap.
Some think it is still expensive. So who is right?

Welcome to clubsnap! :)

First off, lessons might help but right here is a pretty good class room as it is. ;) I've learnt plenty here and there is so muhc more ground to cover, but i guess what i am trying to say is that, nothing beats you learning by yourself, through trial and error.

Classes gives me this sense of "structured-ness" that can be quite stifling.... ;)

actually, i beg to differ - personally IMHO formal classes do have their good points.

personal experience - i've been shooting on & off for about 4+ years now, and like most others, i've picked up the general how-tos and whys of photog here and there. however, just last year, i forced myself to go thru a basic photog course. why? cos i would never know what i've missed in my self-taught experience.

and yes 70-80% of the class materials was stuff i've heard of before. but the remaining was pointers and tips that i've missed out completely, or didn't totally understand before. things like film reciprocal failure, the finer details of colour temperature and correction, etc etc (ok ok so i was a bit sotong before hahahah). the class also served as a sort of refresher course for me. so all in all, it was not as useless as many people think.

for total newbies, i think a class is the best way to start actually. get your basics right first before venturing into more adventurous areas. also, any decent photog course would also include a photog outing (where you get to try out your newfound skills). they're also usually not that ex (as compared to the cost of cameras nowsadays). SAFRA has a good course for less than $100.

oh another piece of advice - beg/borrow/steal a SLR for the course if you don't. it's easier to learn using any SLR than a digicam IMHO (excluding DSLRs of course).

my 2 cents worth. :D

Originally posted by hishame
Hi,

Thanks for you help

It's really subjective. A class will provide u with a more well-rounded knowledge. It gives you a good grasp on the fundamental of photography. A good book may sometimes helps too.

If money is your concern, by all means, get a book or surf the net as subsitution.

Not all great artist/photographer go thru a formal course. I belive most learn from senior, book etc.
Only weak point is that you may tend to follow that person/book style.

Since you got a good deal on the course, I would suggest you take it.

The key to my learning is "See more, Read more, Ask more, Shoot more"

Hey u mentioned that u got a good deal from the New York Institute of photography...may i know how much it will cost...i am a bit interested....

Ethan
regards...

I feel that either way is quite fine. The phrase "trial and error" reminds me of scientists and their experiments somehow.

Going through a book or a course would be sort of like gaining knowledge without having to expend trial and error, though I feel for the sake for learning and reinforcing, you would still need to practise and try out the techniques.

My personal experience with NYIP is of sending a request for a brochure, and then never following up!

I do know that my gf completed almost all the modules except the last one (had other commitments, and somehow didn't feel urge to complete the module).

From what I see, she gets quite a good amount of material - each "niche" area gets a mini-text book, and with it practical assignments to complete, which you send to someone at NYIP who would look at it and revert to you with comments.

I personally feel that the texts look a little dated - essentially looks unchanged from when they were first written and designed ie the 80s but you can pick up a good deal of basic grounding. That's when she took the course a few years back. Not sure if they have updated their text now.

And I do feel that my gf has better foundations than I have, which can be largely attributed to the course (besides having taken a course at the Substation, and shooting actively as a school photographic club member).

Hey can u tell me how much does the course cost?

Ethan
thanks!

Originally posted by Silhouette
Hey u mentioned that u got a good deal from the New York Institute of photography...may i know how much it will cost...i am a bit interested....

Ethan
regards...

Haha..... where is it by the way?

hey silverelf...i think that its online course....u interested too?

Ethan
regards

posted by isomers007

hi...
personally i feel that learning thru trial and error and experience is the most effective since you dun want to spend much money on the course. i also read up a lot on photography and join the clubsnap'ers for photoshoot to expand my knowledge and also apply wat i've learnt. can get some guidance from some of de pros in here....for e.g. megaweb in macro shoot. so do join us for photoshoots in future...

hi! i'm new here as well. juz wondering how do i join u guys for fototaking sessions?

Originally posted by Silhouette
hey silverelf...i think that its online course....u interested too?

Ethan
regards

Yep!! I would certainly like to find out more.. and if it is suitable, I wouldn't mind taking it up! All in the name of photography... heheh!!

Online course? So it's that kind of own time own target thing?

Hi silverelf...you are right its the take ur own time kinda of stuff...they will like give u a package for a period of time to study with audiotapes and video. The course is damn ex...

Ethan
reagrds

Wah.. You are making me very curious leh.... how ex are we talking about..? :)

I;ve been to a Basic Photography course already, butI'm still thinking of taking the one at Safra... :) $50.. not expensive lah! Take again also never mind. :D

Hey silverelf..sorry for late reply...this is the fee..

Full Payment Plan - As low as $798(US)
Surface Shipment -$798(US)
Air Shipment -$948(US)

Monthly Payment Plan - $998
Surface Shipment-$50(US) each month
Air Shipment-$198(US) to be applied to my credit card listed below

Ethan
cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.