Do I need Image Stabiliser when shooting HD movie using 550d?

maisatomai

Deregistered
Oct 26, 2006
Thinking of buying this camera. But I do not know whether to get the DSLR alone or get the kit which include 18-55mm IS.

I have a 50mm f1.4 lens which serve me well. If I used the 50mm f1.4 to shoot HD movie, will it affect the quality because of the non-IS?

You'll probably be limited by your handshake, which will cause blur to your videos. The lens itself will be sharp, although the lack of IS will allow handshake to be more clearly seen (technically, cos I don't have a video dSLR to try it out). Use a tripod or monopod when recording videos.

Regards,
gibss.

Last edited:
Thinking of buying this camera. But I do not know whether to get the DSLR alone or get the kit which include 18-55mm IS.

I have a 50mm f1.4 lens which serve me well. If I used the 50mm f1.4 to shoot HD movie, will it affect the quality because of the non-IS?
If you talk about IQ, the 50mm f/1.4 is a nice lens. Video quality depends on your video taking and editing skills. Even shaky video can work when mixed with other video elements.

IS for still image and video have different priorities.
IS doesn't replace tripod in either case.