do i need dry cabinet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

htthach

Feb 26, 2006
dover
currently i only have 1 body, 1 lens.
And i use the camera for hobby image capture almost every day.

do i need a dry cabinet? coz i heard that dry cabinet need long time to reach the desired humidity? then if i keep put in, take out , put in, take out so often does it make the dry cabin useless ?
but does it safe not putting in a dry cabin?

It's recommeded. If not, at least get a cheap dry box and some silica gel or Thirsty Hippo. Although you are currently using your camera everyday, I reckon that this won't last forever. In most cases people eventually become so busy that they're unable to do photography everyday. I'm very keen myself but even then cannot do it on a daily basis.

And the dry cabinet will come in handy for those lull periods when you cannot touch your camera. Besides, the humidity in Singapore is obscene. The level of humidity in your cabinet should be lower than that of the environment by at least a tiny fraction, even if it is opened regularly. Remember that you still need to sleep at night, so the cabinet can house your camera safely overnight. ;)

Recommended to get one...to protect ur camera against fungus or wat so ever insects. U can get a bigger one and house all ur other stuff in it.

thanks
maybe i'll get a cabinet.
coz so often take out, put in may end up buying lotsa gel for the box

htthach said:
thanks

Get a bunch of Thirsty Hippos if you choose to get a dry box. They last a heck of a long time, at least for me. They have the tendency to reduce humidity below recommended levels (45-50%) if the box is left closed for long enough. With regular opening of the box, it might balance this out nicely.

fWord said:
Get a bunch of Thirsty Hippos if you choose to get a dry box. They last a heck of a long time, at least for me. They have the tendency to reduce humidity below recommended levels (45-50%) if the box is left closed for long enough. With regular opening of the box, it might balance this out nicely.
Thirsty Hippos :bigeyes:

Ohhhh, I don't know about that, read somewhere in CS that it's too dry, could cause some other problems.

I think the Dry Cabinet is one of the essentials.

../azul123

or put in aircon room and keep the aircon on;)

azul123 said:
Thirsty Hippos :bigeyes:

Ohhhh, I don't know about that, read somewhere in CS that it's too dry, could cause some other problems.

I think the Dry Cabinet is one of the essentials.

../azul123

Exactly. That's why I think the user's regular opening and closing of the box in this case, and regular use of the camera reduces the risk of conditions getting too dry.

my advice is to just get an electonic cabinet, just a peace of mind, buy one that will be bigger than your current needs so that it can fit more stuff in the future!

Dry cabinet is a must when you venture in to SLR, DSLR...;)

It is a must and cost less than your lens.
Even if you use everyday, are you gonna carry all your lenses with you.
Maybe you'll even need 2. 1 for frequent open and the other for your lens, you older bodies, back-up cams, other P&S for the rest of the family and old negatives... just listing down the kind of stuff I keep in my cabinet... thinking of a second one already.

Anyway, saw an ad yesterday. CP having a sale with lots of freebies!

htthach said:
thanks

Maybe you should get a 30L dry cabin.

Status
Not open for further replies.