Do I need a Mac?

Status
Not open for further replies.

schnurbart22

Feb 21, 2007
Hi,

I've an entry level Compaq Presario notebook w/1.5GB and AMD Turion 64 processor. It works fine for photo editing but I would certainly appreciate a speedier computer, one that gives more accurate coloration and above all, better workflow for photo editing.

I am now deliberating if I should:

1) Get a Mac? (appreciate supporting reasons)

2) If so, which combi do you recommend?
- Macbook + my current 19" Samsung LCD? Macbook? (Cost = S$1822)
- Macbook + Cinema 20"? (S$2839)
- Macbook Pro? (Cost = S$3452)

As much as possible, I would like to reduce my cost outlay. Appreciate your advice rendered! :)

P.S. I shoot and edit in RAW. About 1000-2000 pictures weekly.

why get a mac if u dun need one? u're not running mac-specific programmes right?
get a PC based desktop (if u dun need a laptop).. more cost effective
for accurate colours, buy a calibrator..

im not against macs. i have a macbook pro.

macbook will be too slow if you are using Aperture. Either macbook pro or a imac will be good. Remember to max the RAM & video card to get best performance.

For a cheaper solution you might want to use a desktop pc instead.

If you have tried mac before and you liked it, by all means go for it! go for at least Macbook Pro. Macbooks do not have a dedicated video card.

More Speed and cheaper: buy desktop and keep to windows (save on software). Also save on learning curve for mac (presuming u never used mac b4)

if need to travel: get a faster lappy with windows

if really got too much money and need to travel: get a macbook pro and use it as a pc (bootcamp etc) at least u save on photo editing software

Accurate colors have nothing to do with a Mac or PC. Rather, you'd need to get a good screen calibrator. :)

if mobility ain't important, i go for the imac or a pc with 3gb ram + c2d + 2HDD, otherwise macbook pro. I don really see how much improvement you can get from a factory setting macbook (non-pro)

why get a mac if u dun need one? u're not running mac-specific programmes right?
get a PC based desktop (if u dun need a laptop).. more cost effective
for accurate colours, buy a calibrator..

im not against macs. i have a macbook pro.

i second this. If you're running software native to macs, (aperture, pro-tools, etc etc) go for a mac.

If you're not, just get a windows based desktop PC.

As for mobility, hmmm yeah macs are nice and all, (chioh, thin, etc) However, do bear in mind that there are TONS of other laptops out there that would put the latest mac book pros out there to shame, at a fraction of the price too.

I went for a Clevo (OEM) based lappie, (900 series) around 8 months back, and had 02x 7950GTXs configured in SLI together with a buttload of ram and a quad core (Q6700) processor. Yes, though it's not as chioh as the macbook which i use at work, but, it's portable, it's FAAAST ( I do sound engineering & the usual raw editing, etc) and it cost half that of my macbook pro which i purchased at the same time for work.

i second this. If you're running software native to macs, (aperture, pro-tools, etc etc) go for a mac.

If you're not, just get a windows based desktop PC.

As for mobility, hmmm yeah macs are nice and all, (chioh, thin, etc) However, do bear in mind that there are TONS of other laptops out there that would put the latest mac book pros out there to shame, at a fraction of the price too.

I went for a Clevo (OEM) based lappie, (900 series) around 8 months back, and had 02x 7950GTXs configured in SLI together with a buttload of ram and a quad core (Q6700) processor. Yes, though it's not as chioh as the macbook which i use at work, but, it's portable, it's FAAAST ( I do sound engineering & the usual raw editing, etc) and it cost half that of my macbook pro which i purchased at the same time for work.
woah!...7950 x 2!! and a quadcore...tat's sick man...cool!! kick ass!!

Wow, how much you pay for it? Sounds very interesting.

the question is not " Do I need a Mac? "

but " Do I want a Mac? "

very true..

true example:

my daughter at NUS recently bought a macbook together with 6 of her girl friends. They were having lunch at my place with all their macbooks sitting on the dining table.

I asked them why mac, as the lenovos were much cheaper(it's my money after all) there and with better specs.

my daughter's reply: 'chioh wat.... somemore so thin.'

:cool:

very true..

true example:

my daughter at NUS recently bought a macbook together with 6 of her girl friends. They were having lunch at my place with all their macbooks sitting on the dining table.

I asked them why mac, as the lenovos were much cheaper there and with better specs.

my daughter's reply: 'chioh wat.... somemore so thin.'

:cool:
yes, its thin, but its AIN'T light at those thickness... :sweat:

Hmmmm....available in SG???!!!
sadly no... (at that time, now maybe)

u can get it from a number of shops in the usa for slightly more ... i went through a retailer in taiwan.

Honestly, even the Current asus G90 series of laptops would run circles in performance around a Mac at 1/4 the price.

u can get it from a number of shops in the usa for slightly more ... i went through a retailer in taiwan.

Honestly, even the Current asus G90 series of laptops would run circles in performance around a Mac at 1/4 the price.
1/4 :think:, sound a little exaggerated.

1/4 :think:, sound a little exaggerated.

max out the specs on your macbook pro and yup.. there u have it. (tried it, gave up the idea.)

but then again, i'm based abroad and am not in touch with the local market... so yeah... fwiw.

Thanks F5user for the advise......didn't really know there is such a powerful lappy around......why not in SG...:what:

Thanks F5user for the advise......didn't really know there is such a powerful lappy around......why not in SG...:what:
probably the best bet around in SG would be the Dell latest XPS 1730... c2d (sadly only a mobile c2d), 2gb ram (expandable to 4gb at a PRICE) and 2x 8700m with configuration up to 2x HDD. ;p
but not cheap either, cost close to 4k at factory settings

Status
Not open for further replies.