Do i need a flash?

donut88

Nov 14, 2008
I will be travelling to europe

if i'm just using kit lens 18-55 and taking pics indoors like churches and castles, do i need a flash?

is a flash good enough to capture the details?

I'm thinking of getting another lens to complement my kit lens for indoor shoots or getting a flash.......

to get a good indoor lens will be out of my budget. the most i can think of is a f1.8 or f2.8 prime lens. So i was thinking of just getting a flash and use my kit lens

any advise?

For indoor pictures of castle and churches, you will be better served with a tripod

a decent original first hand flash is about the same price as a 2nd hand tamron 17-50mm 2.8. maybe you could consider that?

Do note especially those more famous churches etc dun allow flash photography also...

many places indoors do not allow flash photography...

some even stricter places do not even allow any photography...

so instead of going with a flash. i would just get a small PnS that you can sneak around.. or a small light prime.. like 35mm f2

ok thanks.... yes i agree about using flashes in churches or musenm or castles...... often they dont agree

ok, my next question is, what tripod can i use for travelling??? if i can use tripod indoors and expose longer, then it shld be quite ok

any recommendation for travel tripods?

ok thanks.... yes i agree about using flashes in churches or musenm or castles...... often they dont agree

ok, my next question is, what tripod can i use for travelling??? if i can use tripod indoors and expose longer, then it shld be quite ok

just get sth that you will be comfortable to travel with... you know like sth that won't leave you huffing n puffing while walking alot... and in europe you do tend to walk alot...

u should get a good old prime lens (50mm f1.8) instead and try shoot wide open with high ISO.

sirui t-1005 with sirui g-10 !! $180 at TK Foto !!

u should get a good old prime lens (50mm f1.8) instead and try shoot wide open with high ISO.

50mm f/1.8, stopped down to f/2.8. sharp !

a decent original first hand flash is about the same price as a 2nd hand tamron 17-50mm 2.8. maybe you could consider that?

:thumbsup: 17-50 should able to serve most of your indoor needs. In fact your might want to sell your 18-55 once u get it.

:thumbsup: 17-50 should able to serve most of your indoor needs. In fact your might want to sell your 18-55 once u get it.

Yes agreed.

TS can purchase a Tamron 17-50 and sell off his 18-55.

Then using the money from the 18-55, purchase a flash.

A TT-L flash like Yongnuo 465 cost around $135 ?

Or TS may consider a tripod for long term usage such as the sirui.

if you are planing shooting indoor photos like architectural interior shots, best results are with available light only, if flash is to be use is also use it as a fill or multiply flash set up. Nobody is shooting architectural interior shots with lens wide open, normally f11 and above. long exposure, so tripod is a must.

but since you are shooting leisure photos during tour, just do whatever you can and allowed.

A tripod will serve you better for old church and castle interior shots. Allows you to do HDR as well.

Flash is not allowed in some locations. I personally disagree with the use of flash in such places as it usually does not add anything to the nice interiors and prolong usage on colored murals and such is known to cause fading (imagine the thousands of visitors flashing away thru the years).

I personally think churches or places of worship are a bit sacred place, so when I'm there, I try to show some respect there...so i think is not nice to go flashing in such places even it is does not explicitly say no photography or flash photography. Kinda not nice setup tripod etc i feel inside churches too i think...in my memory, I dun recall seeing anyone setup a tripod to take photos in those churches or cathedral I've been to so far...

I was reading that some places don't allow flash and/or tripod. So for myself,
I would probably get

a) 35mm f/1.8
b) monopod - best are those tripod that can convert to a monopod
c) basic flash - for other situations.

I was reading that some places don't allow flash and/or tripod. So for myself,
I would probably get

a) 35mm f/1.8
b) monopod - best are those tripod that can convert to a monopod
c) basic flash - for other situations.

35mm would be useful. At higher focal lengths of ur 18-55 the max aperture gets smaller n it'll help. But u might want to consider wider angles like 24 or 28 since u'll be taking indoors shots.

sorry to hijack ts's thread.. but what type of shooting need flash? portrait?