Do I need a dry cab for my situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewbieInCS

Jun 11, 2009
Singapore
My current home is just right beside some forested area where it can get pretty humid. I know coz some of my metallic items rust pretty badly when the same thing in my friend's place does not. I am located in the western part of singapore, if it matters.

I only have one lens, so it is always on my dslr and I use it to take a few shots almost everyday. In this case will I need a dry cabinet? Or will just dumping my camera back into the bag every night be ok? Or do I need to put some sillica beads in my camera bag at the very least?

My current home is just right beside some forested area where it can get pretty humid. I know coz some of my metallic items rust pretty badly when the same thing in my friend's place does not. I am located in the western part of singapore, if it matters.

I only have one lens, so it is always on my dslr and I use it to take a few shots almost everyday. In this case will I need a dry cabinet? Or will just dumping my camera back into the bag every night be ok? Or do I need to put some sillica beads in my camera bag at the very least?

If you don't plan to expand your lens range, why not just get a small dry cabinet? It shouldn't be too expensive, and will give you peace of mind. :)

Depends on how you use and how often you use your camera, if your using it rarely you better have one.In my case, dry cab helps me protect my camera from humidity and dust because i leave near PIE.
But the sure thing is, it wont hurt having a dry cab so go get one.

as such condition your camera bag will get moulded too.

why not, you have shelled out so much for your camera, a $118 digicabi db-036 will do just fine. Can also use to keep other things as well.

In most homes or apartments, daily usage of cam equipment would defray or delay the settling in of fungal spores, but living right next to a forrested area - that changes things quite a bit.

I would err on the side of caution and get a small dry cab if the cost of one is justified (you mentioned only one lens - how much did you pay for that lens, and how much would it cost to replace with say a 2nd hand unit if need be?).

some common sense is more than enough:

cost of lens and camera clearing > $150.00 and it is not cover by warranty

cost of small dry cab ≤ $120.00 and have 3~5 years warranty.

some common sense is more than enough:

cost of lens and camera clearing > $150.00 and it is not cover by warranty

cost of small dry cab ≤ $120.00 and have 3~5 years warranty.

This is a great comment! Perhaps add this as a sticky or FAQ? :)

If you need to keep all the items within the room drier, you can opt for a room dehumidifier. Timer them ONwhen out of room at work and turn off when expecting to have a long stay in the room. The collected water can be used to quench the plants.
Those mini table top dehumidifer are not for room.

Dry cab in sunlight is ok?

Edit: As in is it ok to place a dry cab in an area of the house under the morning sun everyday for 3hours or so?

Last edited:

Edit: As in is it ok to place a dry cab in an area of the house under the morning sun everyday for 3hours or so?

I think it should be ok cos my room is facing morning sun.
The morning sun shines onto my dry cabinet for sometime.

I've kept my things this way for about 4 months already.
Nothing wrong with my camera or lenses.

Hi, it is best not to place your drycab in place that expose directly to the sun. when the sun shine directly into the cab, it will increase the internal temperature due to geen house effect. It is bad for any camera equipments. Remember hot is not equal to dry.

i got a dry cabinet and never regretted my purchase, lets you have a piece in mind! :)

metallic items get rusty for several reasons. One of them can be attributed to poor designs.
Nevertheless, if u really need a cheap option, just get a plastic container (tuperware?) and thirsty hippos. The config yields about 40% RH even if you use your cam on a daily basis. Of course, im sure most of the chaps here swear by a dry cab. its really a budget issue.

Regards

It is quite situation base.
Got cabinet --> Pray equipment is safe
Got Dry box --> Always check humidity after a while and Pray equipment is safe
No Cabinet --> Keep using your equipment and Pray HARDER for equipment to be safe :D

Simple ;p

I use a diy drybox for my body and lenses.

Hi all, does anyone knows if the Digi-Cabi by Digi Hub offers free delivery to homes? If not, where will be a good place to get them @ even cheaper prices? [Is Carrefoure selling them cheaper?] However, as I dun drive, lugging a Digi Cabi on public transport may be cumbersome leh... Thinking of getting a 30L to 50L one... Many thanks for any suggestions/ comments.

digihub got free delivery if above a certain amt. just go the website and see. carrefour no longer cheap liao, went to check before

and yes, dont try lugging it around. i carry on mrt and bus, 30L one already want to kill me. it's not the weight, it's the trouble

The 3 things that degrade objects (in general) are heat, light and moisture.

Status
Not open for further replies.