Do i have DSP disorder?

Sgdevilzz

May 16, 2010
I Think I might have delayed sleep phase disorder. Something that i read online. Its not frequent, only when the next day something important I need to do. I can't sleep well, thought about alot of things which are really minor. It's always one thought, then it leads to another and to another. I keep telling myself to shut off my brains and get to sleep but it just keeps popping up in my mind! is that normal?

I'm really tired now but I just cant get to sleep because all the stupid minor details keep popping up in my mind. I have strong Paracetamol that could get me drowsy in an hour. Should I take it? I'm really desperate right now :/

Note: I've not slept for 17 hours now

just go see a psyche. they can diagnose you better. meanwhile, keep a record of the thoughts, the timespan etc. these little details will help in the diagnosis.

Maybe you can see a counsellor first and talked to them. You can go to any Family Service Centre, just googled for the one most convenient for you. They don't charge much. At times you may probably need to explore the reasons you can't sleep.

Okay i'll do that asap. The little thoughts, they just come and go and forgets really easily. Don't even have time to record them. Some reasons i can't sleep maybe because i'm hungry? i am a little now. mostly it's because of my thoughts rushing in and out, pillow and bed gets hot because of body temperature then i get irritated and start flipping pillows and moving to one side to get the comfortable cold zone.

Okay i'll do that asap. The little thoughts, they just come and go and forgets really easily. Don't even have time to record them. Some reasons i can't sleep maybe because i'm hungry? i am a little now. mostly it's because of my thoughts rushing in and out, pillow and bed gets hot because of body temperature then i get irritated and start flipping pillows and moving to one side to get the comfortable cold zone.

i thought that was normal... i always do that what haha...

don't try counselors (imho)... u need someone who is medically trained.

i thought that was normal... i always do that what haha...

don't try counselors (imho)... u need someone who is medically trained.

Yeah but it it's really annoying when you're trying to get to sleep. I'm tired and i can't sleep? Gets my cranky. anyway now i have no time to sleep, getting ready for another assignment. sigh...

Yeah but it it's really annoying when you're trying to get to sleep. I'm tired and i can't sleep? Gets my cranky. anyway now i have no time to sleep, getting ready for another assignment. sigh...

there are some ways, like doing exercise in the morning/afternoon. it can help your sleep. watch caffeine intake too.

there are some ways, like doing exercise in the morning/afternoon. it can help your sleep. watch caffeine intake too.

Hahah bro i don't drink coffee. I'm drinking now to keep me awake, not helping at all :sweat: Once i'm back home i'm surely gonna fall asleep on the couch

sounds like you are unduly stressed

try relaxation exercises and relaxation music

but most importantly must build mental filter and let through only important matters and filter out little things that dont matter

in my teens, guess due to being in a pressure-cooker school surrounded by over-achievers , i used to have what you described years ago ..... they used to call it 'anal retentive' ha ha ..... eg i remind myself on fri night to get breakfast for my gf (now wife) on saturday morning .... i cant sleep .... think about totally little things if i forgot to get her breakfast on Sat morning

1. gf will be disappointed and not impressed
2. she could have impression that i only promise things but never deliver
3. this could then lead her to reconsider our relationship
4. which could lead to our break up
5 which will mess me up emotionally
6 which will make me depressed and lose interest at work
7 which could get me fired or cut
8 which would make me financially unstable
9 which would force me to sell the car and my apartment
10 which would lead to my parents being totally disappointed in me
11 which would lead me to depression and drinking
12 which could lead to a drink driving accident
13 which could lead me to jail time and loss of driving license ... not to mention that I will have a police record now so how to find a job again ?
14 which could force me to use the bicycle (because by this time i would have lost my car, apartment, job , income basically penniless)
15 which could lead me to ANOTHER accident
16 which could land me in a hospital
17 which i could end up in a Class C ward (due to my financial situation)
18 where i could well catch a hospital virus or get infected by my ward mates
19 which could lead to even more serious illness or disease
20 which i could well die young, alone and penniless

so had to think all night on how to strategize and plan to avoid all the 20 points above ..... all over a need to remember to buy her breakfast on Sat morning

so ...... you know what i mean ..... take it easy and it wont be end of the world if you are focussed only on the big picture and we occassionally allow ourselves the luxury of ignorance, forgetfulness, erring and getting it wrong several times

Last edited:
I suggest u see a therapist, not a medical doc.

U having hot flushes? Meaning u feel hot?

A therapist or counsellor will help u. Go for alternative treatment

Thanks ed, your story is really interesting, i didn't think that far, i guess only until point 5. And no i'm not stress, just thinking about the assignment then it leads to non related subjects.

I suggest u see a therapist, not a medical doc.

U having hot flushes? Meaning u feel hot?

A therapist or counsellor will help u. Go for alternative treatment
No i don't feel hot, irritation or any kind of uncomfortable feeling. Except the hot pillow case and mattress but that's normal.

Just mas******* before you sleep, it always work.
Try it and let us know again.

My suggestion is

1) wear comfortable clothing
2) drink caffeine free tea
3) take a Melatonin supplement
4) keep your bed room dark

Melatonin is a natural hormone made by your body's pineal (pih-knee-uhl) gland. This is a pea-sized gland located just above the middle of the brain. During the day the pineal is inactive. When the sun goes down and darkness occurs, the pineal is "turned on" by the SCN and begins to actively produce melatonin, which is released into the blood. Usually, this occurs around 9 pm. As a result, melatonin levels in the blood rise sharply and you begin to feel less alert. Sleep becomes more inviting. Melatonin levels in the blood stay elevated for about 12 hours - all through the night - before the light of a new day when they fall back to low daytime levels by about 9 am. Daytime levels of melatonin are barely detectable.

Besides adjusting the timing of the clock, bright light has another effect. It directly inhibits the release of melatonin. Melatonin only comes out in the dark. Even if the pineal gland is switched "on" by the clock, it will not produce melatonin unless the person is in a dimly lit environment. In addition to sunlight, artificial indoor lighting can be bright enough to prevent the release of melatonin.

The amount of melatonin released at night varies among individuals, but it is somewhat related to age. Children on average secrete more melatonin than adults, which decreases further with age. However, research has shown that older people with sleep problems do not always have lower melatonin levels than people who experience normal sleep.

Sgdevilzz said:
Thanks ed, your story is really interesting, i didn't think that far, i guess only until point 5. And no i'm not stress, just thinking about the assignment then it leads to non related subjects.

No i don't feel hot, irritation or any kind of uncomfortable feeling. Except the hot pillow case and mattress but that's normal.

Take warm milk before sleeping. It helps

I guess it is perfectly normal to lost sleep if you are having some sort of trouble or anxiety, e.g. relationship issue, tight work schedule or exam stress. Even psychologist can have repeated nightmares before submitting their phd thesis...

Rather than forcing yourself to go sleep and get frustrated because you simply can't fall asleep, just rehearse your lines(if you are going to do a important presentation or planning for a serious confession to someone you like) or revise your stuff.

Sometimes you think you are losing sleep because something is weighing you down, but reality is, you slept too much in the day time.

I'm actually curious about the melatonin thing. Are those drugs? So that simply makes me more sleepy? I'll try warm milk this time which i actually hate :bsmilie:

@NewbieisCS: Yes i guess it's because of work and the recent arguments with a friend :/

I'm actually curious about the melatonin thing. Are those drugs? So that simply makes me more sleepy? I'll try warm milk this time which i actually hate :bsmilie:

@NewbieisCS: Yes i guess it's because of work and the recent arguments with a friend :/

Its more of a supplement than drug and yup, it makes you more sleepy and reduce anxiety so that you can sleep better. I use to work in a pharmacy and I feel that valerian root is better as you don't feel as drowsy the day after you take it.

Last edited:
Go out after work and exercise daily, exhaust yourself, then read or watch TV before going to sleep is the best medicine
you can have.

Its more of a supplement than drug and yup, it makes you more sleepy and reduce anxiety so that you can sleep better. I use to work in a pharmacy and I feel that valerian root is better as you don't feel as drowsy the day after you take it.

Thanks, i'll try to get some melatonin or valerian root. General pharmacies like watsons, guardian have?

Go out after work and exercise daily, exhaust yourself, then read or watch TV before going to sleep is the best medicine
you can have.

Thanks for the advice. I don't have a habit of exercising but at least 1-2 a week. I should do more.. gears getting heavier and heavier :bsmilie: