do i always have to play with saturation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ringoping

Dec 2, 2007
I would find the pics i took with my 40D with kit lens very dull in colour and tend to adjust the saturation/contrast often. Is it the lens issue or technicalities of the way i shoot?

I m using Hoya UV HMC filter, could it be the culprit? hmm..

I would find the pics i took with my 40D with kit lens very dull in colour and tend to adjust the saturation/contrast often. Is it the lens issue or technicalities of the way i shoot?

the lens and the cmos sensor play a big part as to how the pics turn out. if u want something more vibrant from the camera, u can change to a better lens. u will see immediately differences.

of cos if u shoot under the harsh noon sun, colors tend to be more washed out as well.

Two things to do
1. Set your camera to vivid mode (If your camera have one)
2. It might be your computer LCD issue. Adjust your LCD contrast.

if you want the colors to be vibrant, set your image parameter to landscape and up the saturation a few notches... that's what i do on the 5D when i'm on holiday and too lazy to use photoshop to edit my photos....straight out of camera vivid and brilliant colors haha....

really???

hmmmmm...

anyway i'd disagree that shooting in noon will have washed out colours..

so far, i have gotten better results with the better lenses compared to the kit lenses so much so that i don't really fiddle with saturation for people shots anymore.

thks guys for the advice. i will try setting it to vivid, see how it turn out. Just worried that it could be the problem of my equipment. Here are the sample pics - before & after. I set it to picturestyle portrait. I'm quite disturb by the fact that colours like the cushions did not turn out well :(

before
before3.JPG

after
after4.JPG

I dont see the vivid option on the 40d? its not under the WB nor the Picturestyles

thks guys for the advice. i will try setting it to vivid, see how it turn out. Just worried that it could be the problem of my equipment. Here are the sample pics - before & after. I set it to picturestyle portrait. I'm quite disturb by the fact that colours like the cushions did not turn out well :(

the second is overdone, the greens in the bg have gained a life of their own

and your model /subject looks sunburnt

if u want something more vibrant from the camera, u can change to a better lens. u will see immediately differences.

how do we see wat lens give that kind of results? are they in general or there is something that we can look out for?

i find that the pics that i take also quite dull, den always have to PS them. tweak abit if the custom settings in my D80 but not enough.. :dunno:

how do we see wat lens give that kind of results? are they in general or there is something that we can look out for?

i find that the pics that i take also quite dull, den always have to PS them. tweak abit if the custom settings in my D80 but not enough.. :dunno:

flipfreak is just trying to poison you.

you know, if the pictures you take are quite dull, it could be because of the light. acknowledging that there is no shot because the light is horrible, or just doing mass conversion to bnw (properly, of course) is just as important as knowing when to shoot.

of course this depends on what genre you're talking about.

by the way, i do maintain that even with good lens you need some amount of pp. good lens might give you a slight edge in terms of out-of-camera pictures, and only if you know how to control the default settings in your camera to great effect. but there is always a limit. same with regards to pp.

if you're too lazy to pp a shot that you feel has merit, yet still feel that it is inadequate, then something is wrong here.

flipfreak is just trying to poison you.

you know, if the pictures you take are quite dull, it could be because of the light. acknowledging that there is no shot because the light is horrible, or just doing mass conversion to bnw (properly, of course) is just as important as knowing when to shoot.

of course this depends on what genre you're talking about.

by the way, i do maintain that even with good lens you need some amount of pp. good lens might give you a slight edge in terms of out-of-camera pictures, and only if you know how to control the default settings in your camera to great effect. but there is always a limit. same with regards to pp.

if you're too lazy to pp a shot that you feel has merit, yet still feel that it is inadequate, then something is wrong here.

hahaha.. i easily get poison one. dun need flipfreak to poison me. i read mag also will poison myself. :bsmilie:

not say i lazy. i pp 80-90% of my shots. i just wan some nice rich n vivid colours out of my shots. so as to reduce the amount of pp done. (cropping, levels etc)

hahaha.. i easily get poison one. dun need flipfreak to poison me. i read mag also will poison myself. :bsmilie:

not say i lazy. i pp 80-90% of my shots. i just wan some nice rich n vivid colours out of my shots. so as to reduce the amount of pp done. (cropping, levels etc)

then you should only raise your camera when the conditions are right, if you want to do that.. oh well. or until the day that cameras have good dynamic range, adaptive in-camera levelling..

not to say that you can't take good pictures without any pp. maybe you can minimise it, but your camera is just a tool.. i won't want to make the same sculptures as everyone else if i were a sculptor.. so neither would i want to make photographs that look like everyone else's with minimal pp. i find that pp is a way of adding one's signature to any picture. but well, that's just me. :)

i always look at others album to get some ideas how to take nice shots. but each time i see other's shots, i feel lousy. :bsmilie: their shots all so nice. den mine all like crap. i think you give a 10,000 dollar camera and lens i also cannot take nice shots.

wat abt you goin to my album and take a look at my photos n give me some comments on where can i improve? i've started photography like almost a year and i don see any improvement in my shots.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10866977@N04/

i always look at others album to get some ideas how to take nice shots. but each time i see other's shots, i feel lousy. :bsmilie: their shots all so nice. den mine all like crap. i think you give a 10,000 dollar camera and lens i also cannot take nice shots.

wat abt you goin to my album and take a look at my photos n give me some comments on where can i improve? i've started photography like almost a year and i don see any improvement in my shots.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10866977@N04/
seriously not bad what, i like a lot of the compositions there :)

but your shooting like, very erratic hor.. :bsmilie:

seriously not bad what, i like a lot of the compositions there :)

but your shooting like, very erratic hor.. :bsmilie:

wat you mean? honestly, my shots all anyhow ham tum one. i like den i take. :bsmilie:
probably you can teach me a skill or two..

another thing i would like to ask abt exposure. if i were to meter a shot in M mode, the exposure comp scale reads 0. shot turn out a little overexposed. do you apply exposure comp or do you adjust the shutter speed (assuming the speed is well within control handheld) to get the 'perfect' exposure ?

wat you mean? honestly, my shots all anyhow ham tum one. i like den i take. :bsmilie:
probably you can teach me a skill or two..

another thing i would like to ask abt exposure. if i were to meter a shot in M mode, the exposure comp scale reads 0. shot turn out a little overexposed. do you apply exposure comp or do you adjust the shutter speed (assuming the speed is well within control handheld) to get the 'perfect' exposure ?

oh, i meant your shooting periods

dec 07 then jan, then suddenly big pause until may.. 4 months is really a long time.. i've gone without shooting for maybe 1 month and i start shooting rubbish in my room already.

anyways, if you shoot in M mode, then there is NO exposure comp! what are you talking about :bsmilie: the 0 is for metering, exposure compensation only comes into play for aperture priority or shutter speed priority (av/tv) modes. if you are shooting in aperture priority mode, then if you adjust exposure compensation, the shutter speed will vary. likewise, if you are shooting in shutter speed priority, then the aperture will vary. there's a reason why it's called priority.. means die die must use that value as what you fix it as.

Status
Not open for further replies.