do film SLRs have sensors of which must be cleaned periodically?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isaiahfortythirtyone

Jul 17, 2005
Clementi
i know DSLRs have sensors that can attract dust. but is it so for film SLRs? sorry if this is a stupid question. but i ask this because i see some dirt on the top right of my EOS300's viewfinder. its not the lens. so im wondering if there is a 'sensor' taht the dirt rests on, or is it the focusing screen that is dirty.

Isaiahfortythirtyone said:
i know DSLRs have sensors that can attract dust. but is it so for film SLRs? sorry if this is a stupid question. but i ask this because i see some dirt on the top right of my EOS300's viewfinder. its not the lens. so im wondering if there is a 'sensor' taht the dirt rests on, or is it the focusing screen that is dirty.
Most likely it is dust on the focusing screen. If you can't remove it by blowing it may be on the inside. I don't know if the focusing screen is removeable on the EOS300. If so, then you may take it out and blow the inside. The only sensors on film bodies are the AF sensors and the metering sensors. Dust on the focusing screen will not affect the image on the film.

The DSLR "sensor" that you are referring to would be the CCD that attracts dust to stick on it (or more precisely, the AA filter). The DSLR also has a focussing screen which you can see as a vertical "roof" in the mirror box which also can attract dust. The dust you see here doesn't affect your images but may look irritating when you look through the viewfinder.

The film SLR equivalent would also have a focussing screen and the comments above would apply.

The "sensor" for film SLRs are the film. Hence, the problem of dirt on sensor ain't really of concern, since commercial films are relatively dirt free when rolled. The problem may be of concern if you were to bulk roll your own film.

As for dirt you see through the viewfinder, it could be present either on the mirror or the prism. It will not affect the final image, but it will be a constant irritation to you. The best thing will be to use a blower and hope for the best that the dirt will fall. If not, you would have to send it to a friendly photographic equipment shop to clean it.

Not that I am aware of.

I am using cameras with spots in the viewfinder and my pictures turn out OK!

The wonders of the analogue equipment! Little to upgrade. No worry about dust unless shooting in sandstorms!

maybe the focussing/metering sensors? not sure where they're located though and whether they're prone to dusk and dirt.

mpenza said:
maybe the focussing/metering sensors? not sure where they're located though and whether they're prone to dusk and dirt.
The AF sensor is usually located below the mirror while the metering sensor is usually located in the prism and measures the light off the focusing screen.

ahh i think its the focusing screen. not sure if i can remove. but since it doesnt affect the image...i better not go fiddle with it :p

yep, for film wise, unless you film is dirty.. if not should be ok.. :)

ahh i think its the focusing screen. not sure if i can remove. but since it doesnt affect the image...i better not go fiddle with it :p
Try just using a blower, it may just be on the outside surface. :)

vince123123 said:
The DSLR "sensor" that you are referring to would be the CCD that attracts dust to stick on it (or more precisely, the AA filter). The DSLR also has a focussing screen which you can see as a vertical "roof" in the mirror box which also can attract dust. The dust you see here doesn't affect your images but may look irritating when you look through the viewfinder.

The film SLR equivalent would also have a focussing screen and the comments above would apply.

That's the downside of DSLRs, having the risk of dust getting onto the CCD or CMOS sensors.

student said:
Not that I am aware of.

I am using cameras with spots in the viewfinder and my pictures turn out OK!

The wonders of the analogue equipment! Little to upgrade. No worry about dust unless shooting in sandstorms!

I'm having the same issue as u with my EOS 30 focusing screen. In the viewfinder can see the tiny black spot and also when the lens is removed. But not matter how i use the blower to blow it, it still sticks there, though it doesn't affect the image in any way.

lsisaxon said:
Try just using a blower, it may just be on the outside surface. :)

I tried on mine...it's still there, maybe it's the insides.

There's also a white speck of dust inside my LCD too.

Snoweagle said:
I tried on mine...it's still there, maybe it's the insides.

There's also a white speck of dust inside my LCD too.
Awww.. :(

Do NOT to use cleaning cloth or blower brush on the focussing screen if the dirts cannot be remove from it through blowing. I tried that once and scratch the screen, had to replace a new one at the service centre. If the dirts annoy you badly and does not drop off from the screen after repeated blowing with a blower, just bring in to the service centre and ask them to clean it for you.

Moonstone said:
Do NOT to use cleaning cloth or blower brush on the focussing screen if the dirts cannot be remove from it through blowing. I tried that once and scratch the screen, had to replace a new one at the service centre. If the dirts annoy you badly and does not drop off from the screen after repeated blowing with a blower, just bring in to the service centre and ask them to clean it for you.

That's what i'll do in future....

That's right. Having scratches on the focussing screen is a lot worst than having dust on it. Because when you look through the viewfinder of you will see dark translucent lines! Very distracting. So be very careful with the focussing screen, it scratches so easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.