do electri cry cabinets suck alot of power?

Status
Not open for further replies.

naresh666

Sep 9, 2002
Ang Mo Kio
www.guminc.com
hi i got my slr and 2 lenses and an electric dry cabinet as a package. was wondering if it uses alot of power? i am thinking of just getting a normal dy box to store my stuff. my rig is not an expensive one. 1 eos300 (non digital) stock lens and one 70 to 200 lens. its for school so is the electric cabinet important?

naresh666 said:
hi i got my slr and 2 lenses and an electric dry cabinet as a package. was wondering if it uses alot of power? i am thinking of just getting a normal dy box to store my stuff. my rig is not an expensive one. 1 eos300 (non digital) stock lens and one 70 to 200 lens. its for school so is the electric cabinet important?
It is electricity cost like 5w bulb (or night lamp). But it will protect your cameras and lenses from fungus. Cleaning lenses or cameras from fungus can be a lot pricey, and your lenses will not be the same again after cleaning.

Dry cabinet with silica gel is troublesome, not to mentions silica gel is known as cancer caused agent.

Regards,
Arto.

I tried using silica gel before, was a real hassle.

better still my box meter got prob, will stuck at 55%

must knock knock then jump to below it.

got a digicab in the end. more space also!

Definitely IMPORTANT

You wanna get fungus in the lenses? Trust me, it's even worse when you have to send the lenses in for cleaning and the time spent is not worth it...

zcwnfx said:
I tried using silica gel before, was a real hassle.

better still my box meter got prob, will stuck at 55%

must knock knock then jump to below it.

got a digicab in the end. more space also!

mine got same problem

zac08 said:
Definitely IMPORTANT

You wanna get fungus in the lenses? Trust me, it's even worse when you have to send the lenses in for cleaning and the time spent is not worth it...
Or..., should we say "No, drycab is not necessary and use a lot of electricity than you can imagine."

[I am helping those camera shops ma... ;p ].

Regards,
Arto.

naresh666 said:
so if run 24/7 how much more to end of month bill?

Can't tell you exactly how much, but rest assure that its negligible till the extend that you won't notice it. I am currently using a 60L and a 45L. But I don't even notice any increase in my electric bill.

naresh666 said:
so if run 24/7 how much more to end of month bill?

Typical power consumption of a dry cabinet is 5W(h), therefore it'll be 120Wh per day, or approximately 3.6kWh/month.

Base on Singapore Power's charge of 20.49¢/kWh, It'll cost be about 73.76¢ per month only.

ultrazoom said:
Typical power consumption of a dry cabinet is 5W(h), therefore it'll be 120Wh per day, or approximately 3.6kWh/month.

Base on Singapore Power's charge of 20.49¢/kWh, It'll cost be about 73.76¢ per month only.
Buying insurance for your lenses against fungus growth for the price of a cup of Teh See per month?.....no wonder I have 2 dry cabs in my room........:cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.