Do dogs or cats understand different languages?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hongsien

Mar 11, 2002
Hong Kong
Visit site
I was wondering if dogs/cats or animals in general face language problems when they for example move from one country to another? Let's say you bring your dog from Singapore where people talk to them in english/hokkien, and then bring it to Japan where they will all 'talk' to it in Japanese?

Hong Sien

I was wondering if dogs/cats or animals in general face language problems when they for example move from one country to another? Let's say you bring your dog from Singapore where people talk to them in english/hokkien, and then bring it to Japan where they will all 'talk' to it in Japanese?

Hong Sien

hmm... cultural shock ar...

guess most animals only recognise owner's tone, not the language...

besides, most dogs won't even bother about stranger's commands... probably they treat it as noise.

hmm... cultural shock ar...

guess most animals only recognise owner's tone, not the language...

besides, most dogs won't even bother about stranger's commands... probably they treat it as noise.

halo, he asking abt dog to dog talkin leh.

as in communication between dogs leh.

or communication between cats leh.

say singapore dogs communicatin with dogs from japan leh. are their barks the same and if they can understand each other the way we humans tried so desperately hard.

think dogs haf international language n tat is to sniff the buttocks la. no language barrier there it seems! :bsmilie:

Think dogs and cats generally reads our body language, and it's universal. Try having a hostile body language but a words see if the pooch will backoff or move forward. But I can imagine if my dog were to hear Japanese, he'd probably tilt his head with a ---> ??? look. Poodles are smart.

say singapore dogs communicatin with dogs from japan leh. are their barks the same and if they can understand each other the way we humans tried so desperately hard.

think dogs haf international language n tat is to sniff the buttocks la. no language barrier there it seems! :bsmilie:

wa siao liao

jus re-read the TS topic.

hahahahahahaa

paiseh, tat i haf no idea. think they oni react to their owners language n tone. :bsmilie:

Yeh butt sniffing and some acts that has something to do with the knee.:bsmilie: I think it's another way of saying, I like you jk

I think it depends on what you say to your dog followed by your actions that goes with those words. So it's not a matter of what languages they understand, but what they perceive from your words+actions..

wa siao liao

jus re-read the TS topic.

hahahahahahaa

paiseh, tat i haf no idea. think they oni react to their owners language n tone. :bsmilie:

Oh! Didn't realise I got the meaning wrong.. haha. We as humans are already having problems right here :bsmilie:

Jialat lah cheesecake. You drunk from partying that Pool went into Semis is it?

Hong Sien

Well, my mum had to give away our dog once. The ang moh came back to complain that our dog couldn't understand a word he said :bsmilie:

Languages were created by mankind, specifically for its own species as a form of communication. Dogs, cats or any other animals will not understand any languages created by mankind .... but they can be trained to response to a certain words/sentence/sound/noise/tone and also to respect to the trainer to who or what the animal should response.
So technically, you can train a dog to sit in "sit" in English and to run in "sit" in Chinese, or to jump in "sit" in Malay .... and of course, another dog will not understand any of these if it was not trained at all.:think:
This is naturally difference from being able to give a reflex response .... such as if one carries a big stick and yells lots of hokkien vulgarities or any other languages and you can see any dogs or cats will run for their lives ......:bsmilie:

when dog talk to other dog, they use dog language lah, no matter in japan, hongkong, india or even timbuktu.

Something like:
Dog1: Woof! (translated: Hey, how are you man?)
Dog2: Woof Woof! (translated: I'm good. Nice to meet you!)
Dog1: Woof Woof Woof (translated: bye bye)

:bsmilie:

when dog talk to other dog, they use dog language lah, no matter in japan, hongkong, india or even timbuktu.

Something like:
Dog1: Woof! (translated: Hey, how are you man?)
Dog2: Woof Woof! (translated: I'm good. Nice to meet you!)
Dog1: Woof Woof Woof (translated: bye bye)

:bsmilie:

u think what?
roman numeric?

Languages were created by mankind, specifically for its own species as a form of communication. Dogs, cats or any other animals will not understand any languages created by mankind .... but they can be trained to response to a certain words/sentence/sound/noise/tone and also to respect to the trainer to who or what the animal should response.
So technically, you can train a dog to sit in "sit" in English and to run in "sit" in Chinese, or to jump in "sit" in Malay .... and of course, another dog will not understand any of these if it was not trained at all.:think:
This is naturally difference from being able to give a reflex response .... such as if one carries a big stick and yells lots of hokkien vulgarities or any other languages and you can see any dogs or cats will run for their lives ......:bsmilie:

Heez... well said... so cute the last part... :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.